The Witcher 3 Gets Five-Minute Gameplay Trailer

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The Witcher 3 Gets Five-Minute Gameplay Trailer

The world of The Witcher 3 is a dark one, with even darker people in it.

We're getting closer and closer to further delays [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138202-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-The-Trail-Opening-Cinematic], of course), we should finally get to experience the finale of Geralt's story soon. But it's been quite some time since The Witcher 2 and i'm sure fans, new and old alike, could use a bit of a refresher. For that purpose, CD Projekt Red has given us this awesome five-minute gameplay trailer, explaining Geralt's world, and his role within it.

"In The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt you become Geralt of Rivia, a monster slayer for hire. You take on the greatest contract of your life -- tracking down the Child of Prophecy, a living weapon that can alter the shape of the world. Your journey will take you across the Northern Realms, a vast continent filled with merchant cities, mysterious islands, dangerous mountain passes, and forgotten caverns to explore. Hundreds of armour and weapon upgrades await you, with lethal sword and magic skills at your disposal."

The trailer is 100% gameplay footage, with no pre-rendered cutscenes, and highlights some of the things you'll be able to do in the game. It shows Geralt sailing, riding, doing "diplomacy" and of course, slicing monsters in half. CD Projekt Red says it has put a lot of effort into making the game feel "seamless", with little touches such as monster behavior changing during night time to make it feel like you are in a living breathing world, rather than a series of scripted events.

The footage looks like it is taken from the Xbox One version of the game, and it's quite impressive. I can't wait to see how much more impressive it'll be on a beefy gaming PC!

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYwe_WHARdc]

lassiie

May 26, 2013
".....interwoven with religious fanaticism, war crimes, even racism".

Ummmmm What????? I'm sorry, religious fanaticism and war crimes seem a million times worse than racism. When I heard that line I actually laughed out loud. They show people burning at the stake, being hung, than someone commenting about a she-elf's ears. Yea...sorry, the other two things were worse, and somehow racism was supposed to be the controversial one.

Alatar The Red

Aug 10, 2012
Well I was always going to buy it but I have to say that I'm pleased with the amount of lovely witcher nonsense in this one.

-Naked ladies performing some weird blood rituals
-brothels
-threesomes
-magic bras/tops that disappear on command

Sold! Again!

(gameplay looks cool too)

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
CardinalPiggles said:
Oh good, this was Xbox One footage. For a while there I was a little underwhelmed by the graphics.
Seems strange that they would "show off" the game using one of the weaker versions, but if they advertised it with the PC version all the peasants would complain that it "doesn't look as advertised"

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Steven Bogos said:
CardinalPiggles said:
Oh good, this was Xbox One footage. For a while there I was a little underwhelmed by the graphics.
Seems strange that they would "show off" the game using one of the weaker versions, but if they advertised it with the PC version all the peasants would complain that it "doesn't look as advertised"
They do have some sort of deal with Microsoft if I remember correctly, this might be a contract thing. Just guessing though.

If not then fingers crossed for an excellent game regardless.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Well, my video card died two weeks ago, now I'm not that happy that this game got delayed twice. :D

My preorder copy will taunt me for months. :(

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
Still doing The Witcher 2. I should have enough time to finish this play-through and another. Hopefully. With Uni. Maybe.

Edit: Dem recommended requirements. Bagh, a pox on Nvidia. Maybe I can find a place to sell my 7970Ghz for a good price and get a 980 without too much wallet strain. Ah well, we'll see.
And It's winter, so it's time to Overclock.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
lassiie said:

Ummmmm What????? I'm sorry, religious fanaticism and war crimes seem a million times worse than racism. When I heard that line I actually laughed out loud. They show people burning at the stake, being hung, than someone commenting about a she-elf's ears. Yea...sorry, the other two things were worse, and somehow racism was supposed to be the controversial one.
I think they were referencing this trope [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArsonMurderAndJaywalking].

OT: I really really hope this can run on a laptop. My desktop is dead, and not in the same country as me.

Master10K

Feb 12, 2010
SomeLameStuff said:
lassiie said:
I think they were referencing this trope [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ArsonMurderAndJaywalking].

OT: I really really hope this can run on a laptop. My desktop is dead, and not in the same country as me.
Unfortunately... that seems unlikely [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txQgW328-xk].

Kungfu_Teddybear

Legacy
Jan 17, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
lassiie said:

Racism in the game goes beyond mere name calling. Elves and Dwarves are brutally beaten and slaughtered for just being non-humans.

ForumSafari

Sep 25, 2012
lassiie said:

Yeah nah, not in that setting. When they say racism they're talking apartheid, ethnic cleansing...you know, real racism rather than rude-word racism.

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
Uggggh I wish they wouldn't put such an emphasis on the juvenile sex and fanservice. I mean I loved Witcher 2 but every time there was a "sexy" scene it just made me roll my eyes.

But other than that it's looking pretty great. The Witcher 2 was fantastic but my biggest issue with it was the closed off, small areas so making it open-world seems perfect.

Rozalia1

Mar 1, 2014
Meh, not all that bothered. Internet darling like that are overrated.

Steven Bogos said:
CardinalPiggles said:
Promoting the site as always.

Chriss_m

Sep 22, 2014
Shanahanapp said:
Uggggh I wish they wouldn't put such an emphasis on the juvenile sex and fanservice. I mean I loved Witcher 2 but every time there was a "sexy" scene it just made me roll my eyes.

But other than that it's looking pretty great. The Witcher 2 was fantastic but my biggest issue with it was the closed off, small areas so making it open-world seems perfect.
Ewwwwwww, yucky! Sex and nakedness! Grooosssssssss!!!!! So juvenile!!! Why can't they stick to having a man cast magic and slay monsters and all that grown up serious stuff!!

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
certainly looks good and with a lot of replay value. part 2 was already amazing with its mature content and choices. i think i might get it at day 1.

Shanahanapp

Apr 8, 2013
Chriss_m said:
Shanahanapp said:

Ewwwwwww, yucky! Sex and nakedness! Grooosssssssss!!!!! So juvenile!!! Why can't they stick to having a man cast magic and slay monsters and all that grown up serious stuff!!
It's less that and more how out of place the sex is. Walk into a room Oh! There's a naked lady! Look at those boobs! None of it added anything or contributed to anything.

I certainly wouldn't call the Witcher's approach to sex "grown up serious stuff".

Chriss_m

Sep 22, 2014
Shanahanapp said:
Chriss_m said:
Shanahanapp said:

It's less that and more how out of place the sex is. Walk into a room Oh! There's a naked lady! Look at those boobs! None of it added anything or contributed to anything.

I certainly wouldn't call the Witcher's approach to sex "grown up serious stuff".
"Oh! There's a naked lady! Look at those boobs! None of it added anything or contributed to anything"

What do you mean it didn't contribute anything? Like, what does that mean? I keep going over it in my head, thinking it'll come to me. It doesn't contribute anything... What does that mean...

I just can't work it out. What would you mean by that? Like, what would you be expecting nakedness to add. I don't get it! So frustrating! What would nudity be expected to add?