The Witcher 3 PC Receives New Framerate Patch

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The Witcher 3 PC Receives New Framerate Patch

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/601364175504441344]

CD Projekt RED has released a new patch to correct a variety of technical bugs in the PC version of The Witcher 3.

The Witcher 3 released earlier this week and already <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-witcher-3-wild-hunt>many critics and gamers have hailed it as being one of the most impressive RPGs to come out in a good long time. Unfortunately however, this praise has not been without some caveats. Marring the experience for many players has been a cavalcade of technical issues including things like drops in the game's frame rate, especially during combat.

Responding to these issues, its developers <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/cd%20projekt%20red?os=cd+projekt+red>CD Projekt RED have released a new patch today aimed at resolving some the key issues in the game's PC version. Among these are improvements to the games stability, user-interface tweaks and a variety of fixes for other small bugs. The full rundown <a href=http://thewitcher.com/news/view/1038>can be found here. Community lead Marcin Momot <a href=https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/601035169714278400>also assured console gamers (at least on the PS4) that a similar patch is on the way for their versions as well. Another larger patch is also in the works which may include other improvements such as a bigger, easier to read font size for the game's text.

While these fixes will certainly go a long way toward easing some of the frustrations gamers have had with The Witcher 3, the fact that it has any technical problems at all could be a source of annoyance on its own. After all, the stated reason behind the game's multiple release delays was the developer's desire <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132833-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Delayed-To-2015>to squash bugs like these prior to its release. When you consider The Witcher 3's size and complexity, it's still within the realm of reason for the game to have some issues. That said, here's hoping the full breadth of its problems get cleared up sooner rather than later.

Source: <a href=https://www.facebook.com/thewitcher/photos/a.165254449330.117240.9659019330/10152980053639331/?type=1&theater>The Witcher

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
Full breadth of Problems? I agree that the game has it's problems here and there, but that seems like a wild overexageration if i ever saw one. It's incredibly stable for an open world game on release. The only other more stable open world game i can think of was GTA 5 and Rockstar had 2 tries and over a year of additionaly time for that one.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Improves stability in gameplay and the UI
Improves performance especially in cutscenes and gameplay
Fixes grass and foiliage popping that can occur after density parameters change
Improves Nvidia Hairworks performance
Boosted texture anisotropy sampling to 16x on Ultra preset
Sharpen Postprocess settings extended from Off/On to Off/Normal/High
Improves menu handling
Improves input responsiveness when using keyboard
Corrects an issue with stamina regeneration while sprinting
Fixes a cursor lock issue that sometimes occcurs when scrolling the map
Generally improves world map focus
Corrects a bug where player was able to fire bolts at friendly NPCs
Corrects an issue in dialog selections
Corrects some missing translations in the UI
Minor SFX improvements -Blood particles will now properly appear after killing enemies on the water
Rostan Muggs is back
Adds Japanese language support (text and voice-over)
Adds Korean language support (text only)
It seems like they've known about these issues since day 1 but only just implemented the fixes. I've had several situations while in caves where the enemy would walk though walls, often the case was I would have to stand there for 10 mins.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
You can play test all you like, but it's only when the game is out and playable to thousands upon thousands of people do you really find problems.
This is hardly anything surprising.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
I've had relatively few problems. A couple glitches and one crash, but considering the size of the game, this is extremely reasonable. There has been nothing game breaking at all in my experience.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Li Mu said:
You can play test all you like, but it's only when the game is out and playable to thousands upon thousands of people do you really find problems.
Well...You know....The game has barely been out for a week and we're already 3 patches in does say something.

Asuterisuku

Jul 10, 2011
mad825 said:
Li Mu said:
Well...You know....The game has barely been out for a week and we're already 3 patches in does say something.
But it's only actually had one patch post-launch, with 1.02 being the launch version. >.> As an amusing side-note the Galaxy client lets you download the installer and patches separately for backup purposes.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Good. I've only been playing the game for about two hours and I've suffered notable framerate drops on my PS4. Seems to happen mostly during cutscenes when Gearlt is on screen and talking. Must be that fucking hair their so proud of. No problems with framerates in combat though.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
good thing i held back not to get it on day one. i think that they will release a special edition in a year as they did with part 2. since the DLC it self isnt really cheap, i think i can hold on a bit longer. this will give htem even more time to fix the entire game.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Large sandbox style games are always going to have bugs on launch. Out of Skyrim, GTAV and Witcher 3, Witcher has easily been the most stable and run the best by far from my experience. CD Projects track record on fixing issues and adding content in the last two games has been pretty damn good too. Heck, they did a near-complete overhaul on the first game and re-released it instead of taking their launch money and running like so many devs seem to do.

TT Kairen

Nov 10, 2011
Since this patch, my 780Ti is running it at 1080p with all settings maxed, including HairWorks, at >30fps. Before this I needed a few settings at merely High and HairWorks off. Only glitch I encountered was the cursor sticking on the world map. Great launch overall for such a massive, complex game.

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
I wish all sandbox games had this many issues at launch. :D

I couldn't finish Skyrim without the unofficial patch mods because of the dragon soul absorb glitch, so there you go. And let's not even talk about Fallout New Vegas, Obsidian's track record with bugs in a Bethesda game is like dividing with zero.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Elfgore said:
Good. I've only been playing the game for about two hours and I've suffered notable framerate drops on my PS4. Seems to happen mostly during cutscenes when Gearlt is on screen and talking. Must be that fucking hair their so proud of. No problems with framerates in combat though.
PS4 does not have Hairworks so it cannot be that hair thats the problem.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Can confirm this patch does wonders.

Went from 30 and less FPS with Hairworks on, now consistently at 60 and above.