The Witcher 3 Update Sends Tax Man After Gold Exploiters

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
LordLundar said:
Amaror said:
hmm ... thats weird. I had the Tax collector talk to me even though i never did any of those exploits. I never killed the cows in White Orchard, or any cows for that matter, i don't even know what the pearl thing was about and i had never stolen anything in the game.
Are you sure that the tax collector only shows up if you did exploit the game.
Though after over 100 hours in a single game i might have forgotten something. Maybe i did steal something once and simply forgot.
ivarsa15 said:
I love the Tax man feature, but why did he go after my character? I never used any glitches... Except that I went into a lot of houses and took their stuff. But even the taxman did not object to that!
Most likely it's coded to come after you if you amassed a certain (large) quantity of gold in a certain (short) period of time. As such, it's also possible it's not coded to recognize retroactive time frames so if you hit that certain amount when the patch came out, it assumed you earned it all instantly and the tax man cometh.
Well i was running around with 70k Gold. But guarded treasures, hidden treasures and, last but not least, smuggler caches combined with the fact that i am pretty much a completionist meant there was no way i was not going to be rolling in money, so there's that.

Micah Weil

Mar 16, 2009
...it's just a model.

You know, this sort of thing has me really, REALLY excited for Cyberpunk 2077.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Okay mr patch reporter guy, would you kindly post something, anything, about the fact that undertale exists?
You know the thing that was the "best pc game of all the times" or whatever for a while on metacritic with a rating of 97?

I know this site is scraping the bottom of the barrel and completely unreliable as a source for information however you can't bullshit your way past this saying "nobody cares" about it this time.
So as a man with the integrity of only wishing to cover things that generate clicks, would you kindly cover this thing that rapidly gained in popularity (no thanks to you) over the past month already? Christ.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
lol money exploit. i hardly use any, i have 30k and nothing to spend it on. and that's without even haggling over payment for contracts.

Amaror

Apr 15, 2011
-Ezio- said:
lol money exploit. i hardly use any, i have 30k and nothing to spend it on. and that's without even haggling over payment for contracts.
Well getting the new Runesmith in the expansion alone costs you 30k so there's that.

Apr 5, 2008
Halyah said:
The part I'm not getting is how farming renewable resources and selling them counts as an exploit is all. I would think thats a fairly obvious use of such a thing. Hence my confusion. :3

Or maybe I'm just being a dumbass and completely misunderstanding the explanations.
From the OP, the developer did not intend that there would be a method for making so much money. In all likelihood, either the resources shouldn't have been infinite, the NPCs shouldn't have paid so much for them or they shouldn't have bought them ad infinitum. From the sounds of it, players were farming a seemingly limitless resource to sell for limitless gold.

Picking up an item and selling it is par for the course in an RPG. Picking up infinite items and selling them for infinite gold is however unintentional ;-)

I remember when Oblivion was announced, the limits it would have on vendor's gold. Morrowind merchants had maximum gold limits, but it renewed every 24 in game hours, so resting/waiting next to them enabled players to keep selling them items. Skyrim merchants, like Oblivion counterparts are similarly restricted. It's not a great solution TBH, as a player it's frustrating to spend time hunting for a merchant to whom I can sell loot (Divinity: Original Sin suffered this too). The flipside of the coin however, having merchants without a gold limit, means players can become obscenely wealthy in short order...particularly when the acquisition of wealth is as easy as putting a bucket over the aforementioned merchants' heads :)