The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt Leads 2015 Game Awards Nominees

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I can't say I really care about the awards show enough to complain about any of these. I like that my beloved Splatoon is in a few categories. It's a shame it has no chance of winning the best Shooter category. Not only is it a great shooter, but it's shooter that does very few things similarly to others in the genre, which these days is unheard of.

I see Battlefront winning because this is the year of Star Wars, not the year of squid kids shooting ink at each other. Even though it should be!

Did I mention I like Splatoon enough on this forum? No? Let me continue. So, there I was in Inkopolis Plaza...

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
mysecondlife said:
So, the game of the year is just best AAA title of the year?

I've never played Undertale but from what I've heard it sounds like it should be nominated for GOTY.
The fact that it doesn't even get a "best narrative" or "best soundtrack" nod is ridiculous.

OT: I have no idea why Battlefront is on there, game isn't even out yet...

Aside from Undertale getting snubbed in Best Narrative and/or GOTY and the aforementioned Battlefront weirdness, this seems like a pretty solid list (except for the "Trending Gamer" and "Most Anticipated Game" award categories; those are just stupid categories to have on the list in general).

Also, is it bad that I don't know who the fuck Christopher "MonteCristo" Mykles is?

Saetha

Jan 19, 2014
Kingjackl said:
As far as I'm concerned, it's better than most of the others in those categories. Being smaller does not mean lack of quality. I genuinely think it does branching story/choices better than any other game out there, which has become the current measuring stick for determining RPG/narrative quality these days.
I mean, yeah, it's definitely my game of the year, but I'm somewhat atypical in that I'm not interested in Fallout and I didn't love the Witcher as much as many others seem to. Which is the thing - it's a great game, but it's up against a pair of industry darlings. Passing over them to hand anything to Undertale wouldn't go the game any favors. It'd just piss people off.

So, yeah, I'm pretty happy it's been snubbed while still getting some recognition. It's best for everyone - Undertale included.

eberhart

Dec 20, 2012
Ryallen said:
movement is far too lose for me to say it's anything more than just alright. It shouldn't take a half second to get to full movement speed, and it shouldn't be hard to go in a circle, but I have less than 2 hours on the thing, so maybe I need to play it more?
Did you try "alternative movement" or something like that? They added it in some later patch and, irrc, it improved experience for some.

Headbiter

Nov 9, 2009
As much as I enjoy the Witcher games, that circumstance would only mean something if those award shows were more than glorified commercials. Battlefront for best shooter despite barely being out. Until Dawn for best narrative (do I need to explain why that had me rolling on the floor?).
Hell, why don't we give the nobel peace price to Barack "Dronestrike" Obam...oh...

Show me an award show that's worth a crap and I might actually care for those awards.

Dornedas

Oct 9, 2014
Headbiter said:
As much as I enjoy the Witcher games, that circumstance would only mean something if those award shows were more than glorified commercials. Battlefront for best shooter despite barely being out. Until Dawn for best narrative (do I need to explain why that had me rolling on the floor?).
Hell, why don't we give the nobel peace price to Barack "Dronestrike" Obam...oh...

Show me an award show that's worth a crap and I might actually care for those awards.
Well there are always the vidya gaem awards.
You won't find another award show that acknowledges the existence of Illusion.

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
I think I threw up a bit in my mouth.

Anyway, I don't trust these awards after last year's snubbing of Bayo-2. I love DAI, but that game was a broken mess at the time of the "awards" and that should've been taken into account.

Geisterkarle

Dec 27, 2010
Game of the Year
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Developer of the Year
CD Projekt Red

Best Independent Game
Undertale

Best Mobile/Handheld Game
??? Don't know any of them!

Best Narrative

Best Art Direction

Best Score/Soundtrack

Best Performance
Doug Cockle as Geralt (The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt)

Games for Change Award
???
Undertale (tobyfox)

Best Shooter
Splatoon

Best Action/Adventure Game
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Best Role Playing Game

Best Fighting Game
Mortal Kombat X

Best Family Game
Splatoon

Best Sports/Racing Game
Rocket League

Best Multiplayer
Splatoon

Most Anticipated Game
Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

esports Player of the Year
Syed Sumail "Suma1L" Hassan

esports Team of the Year
SK Telecom T1

esports Game of the Year
Dota 2

Trending Gamer
Total Biscuit

Best Fan Creation
???
Super Mario Maker e-Reader Levels (Baddboy78 / theycallmeshaky)
----------

Yes, I'm biased ;)

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
Witcher 3 is honestly the only great game I've played this year, with undertale being an underdog indie title that achieves the status of "really solid" despite being made pretty much entirely by one guy. It's been a lame year for games.

UncleThursday

Mar 15, 2014
Adam Jensen said:
Why isn't The Witcher 3 in the Best Independent Game category? It's from an independent studio. Independent doesn't mean small/poor/shitty. It means independent. Ori and the Blind Forest doesn't fit the bill. It was published by Microsoft. If you get a publisher your game is by definition no longer independent.

Who the fuck is in charge of these awards?
The console versions were published by Warner Bros. Games (at least in North America). By your own definition, that would disqualify them.

Still, GOTY, for me, would be Witcher 3... there is so much to do, good character development, great art style and visuals, and a fantastic soundtrack.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
I don't really give a rip about awards shows, but what the hell is the "Games for Change" award? Do the profits the game makes go to charity or something?

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
I'm really hoping witcher 3 sweeps at the awards as much as I would like undertale to win rpg so that way an indie making a big for awards that isn't like minecraft big I can't say anything more because I haven't played it for myself and CD Projekt Red pretty much made the closest to an open world with very little glitches on day one I played.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
what is "Games for Change Award"? It looks like a duplicate of Indie title award but with different nominations.

Also no Mad Max anywhere? These Awards are MEDIOCRE.

Timeless Lavender

Lord of Chinchilla
Feb 2, 2015
I am happy that The Witcher 3 doing well. Even though I do not care about it. But I would like if there diversify the game of the year award. There are tooooo many AAA games up there. Then again, this is the problem about award show in general.

And Man

May 12, 2014
Kingjackl said:
Disappointed Undertale's not up for GOTY or Best Narrative (or Best Soundtrack, now I think of it; that game had such good music). Hopefully it can at least get a win for best indie.
I was just coming in to say that it should be nominated for those three catagories. I know it wouldn't win any of them, because lolvideogameawardshows, and I'm not at all surprised it wasn't nominated for the same reason, but it still deserves it. However, I'd bet anything that Ori and the Blind Forest is going to overtake it for the "emotional" choice simply because it's more well known and that the winner is either going to be Ori and the Blind Forest or Rocket League, depending on if they want to give it to the "emotional narrative" title or the "fun action-packed" title, respectively.

Saetha said:
As for soundtrack - it's got a nice one, yeah, but I've seen some people point out that a lot of the songs are just variations on Megalomania's basic structure. It might not deserve an award over a fully developed soundtrack with more variation.
Not to be "that guy", but it's Megalovania. But to address your point, I personally felt that only one or two boss themes were somewhat similar to Megalovania, but to be fair it is more or less Toby Fox's signature track. Also, I'm fairly certain Toby Fox created all of the music by himself. The Kickstarter states that he's "lead composer".