The Witcher 3 Will End With Three Separate, Playable Epilogues

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Witcher 3 Will End With Three Separate, Playable Epilogues

The impact of player choice in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt means the game will boast a whopping 36 possible "world states" when the action finally wraps.

The Witcher, as anyone who's played it already knows, is all about choice. And not just tough decisions about hair styles (although that's on the table too) but "big picture" issues, too. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings offers two very distinct gameplay experiences based on choices made in the first chapter, and it sounds like The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt will take that concept even further.

There will be 36 different "world states" at the end of the game, according Michael Platkow-Gilewski, head of marketing at CD Projekt Red, based on hundreds of decisions players will make over the course of the game. All of those decisions will ultimately come together in three separate and distinct playable epilogues at the end of the game.

"We didn't mean to develop something special for the endings, it's a natural consequence of the story line. The story has hundreds of different branches and sub plots. We have to just sum all of those elements up in the epilogues. Some of those elements are taken from the very beginning and some from other moments of the storyline. All of them will connect in the epilogue," CD Projekt Red Managing Director Adam Badowski told Polygon. "We have a lot of things to summarize. We didn't spend time on inventing endings, it was just the consequence of those choices."

And like its predecessor, the PC version of The Witcher 3 will allow players to maintain continuity by importing their Witcher 2 saves, while those who opt to play on the PlayStation 4 will be given a way to define Geralt's history to suit their tastes.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is currently in development for the PC and PlayStation 4 and is expected to be ready for release in 2014.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/26/4146714/the-witcher-3-will-have-three-different-playable-epilogues-driven-by]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I played it on the 360, so does that mean I am boned in terms of importing decisions from Witcher 2? I'll likely get it for the PC when it comes out.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Fuck it, I'm buying this game when it comes out. HEY! Should I get the Witcher 2 on the 360 or my mac?

EDIT: SEE BIOWARE!? This it how you do it!

EDIT 2: Wait, the Witcher 3 is on PC and PS4 while my options for the Witcher 2 is Mac and the 360? Well that's bloody confusing.

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
Cool. The more I hear about this game, the better it sounds. I was a little disappointed with the endings for Witcher 2, just because no matter what choice you made, it didn't really feel like the endings were *that* different.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
and they'll be colored red, blue and green!

(Sorry but someone was bound to say it sooner or later... might as well be me!)

And I'm interested, what I'll have to do is play the first two games first!

Gailim

Oct 13, 2009
playable epilogues is all well and good BUT! will it have sappy piano music?

we all know THAT is what makes a good ending

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
36 different colored lights?

Kidding aside, I'd love to see CD Projekt just completely one-up BioWare on this. Bigger game, better graphics, AND actual endings? Now there's a way to wrap up a trilogy.

Incidentally, there needs to be a sidequest which ends with choosing different colored lights. C'mon, CDPR. You know you wanna. :)

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
If they pull it off, it'll be a nice "SEE bioware, THIS is how its done"
If they fuck it up, well, we've had worse.

BTW, if memory serves (which it rarely does) didn't bioware said something like it would be too difficult to account for all the choices? If so, that's a even bigger "FUCK YOUUUUU!"

Probably won't get it though, only played the first half or so hour of The Witcher 2 and bloody hated it.

sammysoso

Jul 6, 2012
BioWare should be taking notes.

Seriously, CD Projekt just gets it. Everything they say and do just shows that they are a talented group that knows how to make good games that treat their players well.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I guess I need to finally get around to finishing the first one and the second one. Really have enjoyed the second, it's just one of those games I tend to play for awhile and then forget about for a few months. Not sure if I can go back to the first with the sort of polish I'm used to in the second now.

Either way, glad to hear more about the next installment.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I wonder if other RPG developers are taking notes when CD Project reveals something about their next game. If not, they definitely should. I'm looking at you, Bioware.

captcha: better call saul

NO FUCKIN' WAY. Captcha, you watch Breaking Bad?

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Witcher 3 has so far only been confirmed for PC and PS4 (as far as I know). I'd expect a NextBox 720 version to be confirmed after the system is unveiled.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
*opens forum expecting ME3 hate and sadness* Yep not disappointed. You looking Biowaste?

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
My computer may not be able to play the Witcher games very well at the moment, but dammit I might buy Witcher 3 at full price just to support CDProjeckt. Hopefully I will then be able to get a new computer at some point, which will let me play it.

erttheking said:
Fuck it, I'm buying this game when it comes out. HEY! Should I get the Witcher 2 on the 360 or my mac?

EDIT 2: Wait, the Witcher 3 is on PC and PS4 while my options for the Witcher 2 is Mac and the 360? Well that's bloody confusing.
The Witcher 2 is also on PC and you can buy it from Steam. The Mac option wasn't there from the start for the Witcher 2 (and nor was the 360 version for that matter), so I imagine if its not on Mac at release it probably will be somewhere down the line. I dont know if Sony have an exclusivity deal for the Witcher 3 either or if CDProjekt are just waiting for the Nextbox to be announced before they say anything about it.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Eh, this was Bioware's trap. TW2 did the plot divide okay but it also lead it to a shorter, samey, blander ACTs 2&3. In this case, it's more logical to put all your eggs in one basket.

I would rather have a BLT than many cheese spread sandwiches, quality over quantity.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Through no fault of CD Projekt's, I am slightly wary of this considering what Bioware said about Mass Effect 3, but if they can pull it off - and I believe they can - then I will be rather impressed.

Tien Shen

Mar 25, 2010
Good guy CR Projeckt. In a time when a once proud RPG stalwart like Bioware has been assimilated by the EA collective, it's nice to see someone else taking up the mantle.