The Witcher 3's Dynamic Storybook Refreshes Players on Series Plot

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
The Witcher 3's Dynamic Storybook Refreshes Players on Series Plot

The Witcher 3 is the culmination of a whole lot of story, so players might need to be reminded of a few plotlines.

It's not easy to write a good story for an RPG, let alone a saga spanning three massive games' worth of content. The overarching plot of The Witcher is coming to a close in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, so there are some loose ends to tie up from the first two games. The only problem is that the first Witcher came out way back in 2007, and it's getting hard to remember what Geralt was up to in those days. CD Projekt Red's solution comes in the form of an animated, narrated storybook that reminds players about Geralt's adventures.

Choice has always been an important part of The Witcher, and like Mass Effect, Geralt's actions in the past could have consequences in Wild Hunt. When those situations arise, CD Projekt Red may hit the player with an animated flashback to the decision that set those events in motion. It's not the most elegant solution, but with the size of The Witcher 3 (which the developers claim will be 35 times the size of The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings), it might be necessary.

Between the flashbacks and narrated storybooks, The Witcher 3 looks like it'll have plenty of ties to the older games to give longtime fans a return on their emotional investment. Look for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt when it launches in 2014. But maybe skim the series' Wikipedia page first.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/30/4783508/the-witcher-3-will-use-animated-storybooks-and-flashbacks-so-you-dont]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
That's cool. I never could finish the first Witcher because of the clunky design, a refresher on what the Hell happened would be nice.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Yeah I think a awhile ago they said they were going to do this, because they cannot import TW2 saves into TW3 and even if they could allot the TW1 choices did not transfer over to TW2 anyway (some did), So they needed some way for you to tell the game what you did in TQ1 anyway.

This also means you can play every outcome you want easier too, because you don't have to keep going back and playing TW1&2 to change things.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
So they will let us pick the outcome of each significant plot development in an in-game conversation or something? And that will produce a flashback right? Because if yes that seems very sensible.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
From all the good things I keep hearing about the Witcher 3, I want to play the first two games to get myself truly immersed in the world. But from what I've heard of the gameplay, I may prefer to do this option.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
As much as I loved the first game and it's sequel (even more), it's pretty common to see a lot of people complaining commenting on the "unusual" combat design of the first game and some even complained commented that the second game wasn't for their taste either, also considering it's coming to a new generation of consoles (and presumably PC hardware), it's amazing to get new people to know what the heck is going on.

Kudos to CD Projekt :)

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
Daaaah Whoosh said:
From all the good things I keep hearing about the Witcher 3, I want to play the first two games to get myself truly immersed in the world. But from what I've heard of the gameplay, I may prefer to do this option.
The Witcher 2's gameplay is still fine, and (assuming you get the PC version) the are like 20 different complete combat overhaul mods (including one done by a CDRED Dev) to pick from if you don't like the defalut.

The Witcher 1 is very dated true, hell of allot of clicking. But you could always map a controller with xpadder or similar, that way you'll mashing a button instead like a hack and slash.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
erttheking said:
That's cool. I never could finish the first Witcher because of the clunky design, a refresher on what the Hell happened would be nice.
If you played through it all with the original release before the translation was touched up. You might still have no idea what the hell the game was about even after finishing it!