The Witcher 3's PC System Requirements Revealed

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The Witcher 3's PC System Requirements Revealed

CD Projekt RED has unveiled its minimum and recommended requirements for the PC version of The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt.

While <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/139040-Withcer-3-Dev-Claims-Gamers-Are-Wary-of-Bug-Riddled-Next-Gen-Titles>the reasons behind it were understandable, CD Projekt RED's decision to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138950-The-Witcher-3-Wild-Hunt-Delayed-To-May-2015>further postpone the release of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the%20witcher%203%20wild%20hunt?os=the+witcher+3+wild+hunt>The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt was still one of the more disappointing pieces of news to come out at the end of 2014. There are some upsides to it, though. Setting aside the fact that The Wild Hunt might actually work at launch (a rarity these days), the extra development time means that PC gamers hoping to improve their machines for peak performance will have a little extra time to upgrade.

Those same gamers might be interested, in turn, in new minimum and recommended system requirements released by <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/cd%20projekt%20red?os=cd+projekt+red>CD Projekt RED earlier today. According to a posting on <a href=http://thewitcher.com/news/view/927>the official Witcher website, gamers will want to make sure they have following to ensure the game runs well (or at all):

Minimum System Requirements

Intel CPU Core i5-2500K 3.3GHz
AMD CPU Phenom II X4 940
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 660
AMD GPU Radeon HD 7870
RAM 6GB
OS 64-bit Windows 7 or 64-bit Windows 8 (8.1)
DirectX 11
HDD Space 40 GB

Recommended System Requirements

Intel CPU Core i7 3770 3,4 GHz
AMD CPU AMD FX-8350 4 GHz
Nvidia GPU GeForce GTX 770
AMD GPU Radeon R9 290
RAM 8GB

If these requirements are any indicator, anyone that's kept their PC up-to-date with other current games shouldn't have too much trouble running The Witcher 3. That said, it would probably still be smart to take a closer glance at your specs and make sure they're up to snuff before picking the game up come May. Of course, you could alternatively just play it on the Xbox One or PlayStation 4.

Source: <a href=http://thewitcher.com/news/view/927>The Witcher

Alexander Kirby

Mar 29, 2011
FX-8350, GTX 770 and 8GB of RAM, but shit, don't know where I'm going to get 40GB of HDD space from. The one thing about hard drive space is there's never enough, you'll end up having to uninstall something to make space sooner or later.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
So a three year old CPU (that 3770) is fine for rec-specs but a two year old graphics card is out of date? I've got an i7-4770K (fine) and an AMD 7970HD-Ghz (which is roughly an R9 280, below spec). Either somebody's got their spec balance all wrong or somebody's bribing them to sell more expensive graphics cards.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Welp, that's right out then my CPU and GPU are both witheringly inadequate, and while I do have my eye on a GPU upgrade (I'm still convinced Nvida is using blood magic to manage the price/power ratio they have lately) a CPU upgrade is a far more costly and time consuming affair that I don't really feel like dealing with at this point(yay for outdated LGA1155 socket).

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
My graphics card is the bare minimum required to play this game. Looks like I will be waiting to purchase this game until I upgrade to a desktop.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Yup, I'm gonna need a new graphics card. Mine's only a GTX 680, just above minimum specs.

Gotta crank it up for TW3. Heck I bought a whole new PC mainly for TW2.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
It looks like I could actually run this thing, although I'd probably want to keep a fire extinguisher nearby just in case.

Winter is the best time to play demanding games I find.

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Looks like I'd barely squeeze by the minimum specs. An i7 for rec? I have a hard time believing that.

Looks like the other dweller in my household will need to upgrade to satisfy his high standards.

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I am automatically suspicious whenever I see a game with an i7 in it's recommended settings.

It looks like they're just putting it in their as a "look who advanced our game is" statement than because you actually need (or could use) the bump from a quad i5 to a quad i7.

ryukage_sama

Mar 12, 2009
I have the Nvidia GTX 660, and I'm looking at upcoming PC games that are demanding more. Hell, the PS4 barely meets the minimum GPU specs for the game. Has PC optimization gone completely out of fashion, or are CD Projekt's standards for recommendation just extremely high?

Sep 14, 2009
woof. when this game drops, global warming is going to rise from all the towers running in overdrive trying to play this game :D

*obviously kidding*

This will be nice to play before the summer though before it becomes unbearably hot and my tower will suffer from outside heat just as much as what it's giving off.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Sleekit said:
K12 said:
I am automatically suspicious whenever I see a game have an i7 in it's recommended settings. It looks like they're just putting it in their as a "look who advanced our game is" statement than because you actually need (or could use) the bump from a quad i5 to a quad i7.
my usual guide is that, at best, the game was written to run "well" on hardware from between the beginning to halfway through its development cycle ; on the basis that you can't generally write software on/for hardware that doesn't exist yet...

obviously yes there are some ways ways that you could...but in general...ye i don't think they wrote it for a chip that wasn't even announced when the game went into development no...
i7 processors have been around for awhile now, I have had mine for about 7 years now for they were cheaper then the i5 processors when they first launched.

Generally if you run a clean computer you can generally get away with a good video card and a lower end processor, but it really depends on what you are running in the background.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
ryukage_sama said:
I have the Nvidia GTX 660, and I'm looking at upcoming PC games that are demanding more. Hell, the PS4 barely meets the minimum GPU specs for the game. Has PC optimization gone completely out of fashion, or are CD Projekt's standards for recommendation just extremely high?
It really depends on what resolution you want to run the game at, for if they decide to bottleneck the PS4 at something lower then a 1080p resolution they can get away with a less powerful video card and generally I find there are more video bells and whistles for PC games as well.

taciturnCandid

Dec 1, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:
Yup, I'm gonna need a new graphics card. Mine's only a GTX 680, just above minimum specs.

A 770 is mostly a rebranded 680 with a higher memory speed and core clock so you technically meet the recommended specs. An OC or non-reference 680 should match a reference 770 as usually they come factory overclocked. It is about 8% faster but a factory overclocked one should make up most of the difference.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
CardinalPiggles said:

Heh? The 680 is a fair bit beefier than a 660. It's pretty much the same as a 770 tbh. Should be alright.

OT:

i5 4670k
GTX 670.

Hmmm should be alritght on the CPU front but my GPU is a touch weak. Ah well, time for an upgrade anyway. AMD should hurry up with that new silicon > >

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
ryukage_sama said:
I'm no expert but I'd think what we're seeing has to do with everything being cross platform these days the over extended life span of the 360 and PS3 held PC game spec requirements back a great deal. Now that we have a new console generation out, even though their hardware isn't as impressive as last time, it's created a sudden spike for requirements on the PC.

Sucks for our wallets but in a way this is a good thing as it can push innovation forward. Graphics have more or less peaked and I've never cared much for them, but I am interested in a game that requires significantly more ram. If you watched some of the demo's you see the big city in the distance they mention that it's all 1:1 and as they approach it and enter there's no hint of a load screen... well yeah I'd take a good guess that's why this game requires a minimum 6GB of RAM.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
This is the first time I've seen my CPU as minimum spec. Mind you, minimum spec is 3.3ghz and there shouldn't be a i5 2500k in use running stock speeds. Even a dud can break 4ghz.
I wonder what rez this is aiming for, and what i will need for 1440p?