The Woes of Payday 2 on Anything Except the PC (Crimewave Edition Xbone Gamertags)

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
So like some kind of foolish fool I decided to pick up the Crimewave Edition of Payday 2 without reading up on it. In my defense I'd already played and loved the game and didn't foresee any real problems occurring considering the game has been out for years and a simple port didn't seem like too much to ask for. I prefer playing on the console because I like couch co-op.

So Overkill shipped a broken game, you cannot join a multiplayer match, which is devastating, especially since the friendly AI is awful. Given Overkill's propensity for completely ignoring their console releases I'm assuming a patch to fix basic functionality will arrive in about 2-3 years. In the meantime I'm looking for ways to make the best of a typical situation.

Apparently invites and matchmaking still work so I'm hoping to accumulate a small number of players on the Xbox One in a similar situation. My GT is: ABAGOFSHOTGUNS

If you want to play Payday 2: Crimewave Edition on the Xbox One feel free to add me or leave your gamertag in this thread and I'll add you. The rest of you can go ahead and leave a comment about how much better the PC version of this game is and I'll completely agree with you.

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
What exactly is broken? If it's the whole matchmaking system, that is a pretty big problem for a MP focused game. Their history of ignoring the consoles releases is pretty bad too. Even the first one got (free) dlc on PC the others will never get.

Their whole stance on bots has always pissed me off. They were okay in the first, so I picked up the second going off that (I don't play online, I prefer bots) and for them to even list them as a feature is an insult. Yeah, this is a multiplayer focused game, but even then it should at least have functioning bots for most of the content. The game is unplayable with them, and they have never upgraded or altered them, instead shovelling out huge amounts of DLC.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
I picked up Payday 2 on PS4 (after playing it quite a bit on PC) to play with some friends who don't have gaming PC's.

In my experience, the game works perfectly fine with very little problems. We all join each other easily, including midgame, and the only major glitches we encountered were rare, and resolved rather easily by the affected person leaving and rejoining the game.

When we leave our lobbies open, other people join in almost immediately.

I don't really know what to add here other than, this isn't happening to me or any of my friends or any of the numerous random people we've played with. Based on these experiences, I can safely say the game is not broken on our end.

We are on PS4 though. Is it possible this could be a platform issue? How far have you looked into this?

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
baddude1337 said:
What exactly is broken? If it's the whole matchmaking system, that is a pretty big problem for a MP focused game. Their history of ignoring the consoles releases is pretty bad too. Even the first one got (free) dlc on PC the others will never get.
The game freezes up anytime you try to join a game off the crime.net screen, essentially making it impossible to play the game without having a lobby set up and sending out invites. Can't just join a game.

Tohuvabohu said:
We are on PS4 though. Is it possible this could be a platform issue? How far have you looked into this?
The problem might be different on the PS4, I'm not sure but the issue is very real for the Xbox One. Overkill has kept a tweet pinned from like a week ago addressing the problem but have yet to actually do a thing about it other than display pictures of how much fun they had at E3 haha, they won't even give a timeframe on a fix.

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
Right Hook said:
The game freezes up anytime you try to join a game off the crime.net screen, essentially making it impossible to play the game without having a lobby set up and sending out invites. Can't just join a game.
Hmm, I wonder if it could be a network issue? It sounds like it's sending a join request to the host server, but stalls while waiting for an acknowledgement message to be sent back that never comes.

I don't know what your house network is like, but you can try DMZing from your router to your console as a test?

Right Hook

May 29, 2011
ThriKreen said:
Right Hook said:
Hmm, I wonder if it could be a network issue? It sounds like it's sending a join request to the host server, but stalls while waiting for an acknowledgement message to be sent back that never comes.

I don't know what your house network is like, but you can try DMZing from your router to your console as a test?
Thanks for the help but it's all on their end, a LOT of people have been messing with their networks in vain attempts to fix the issue to absolutely no avail.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Overkill is a poor developer and Starbreeze only cares about making a profit, what with their complete abandonment of the last generation consoles, poor content quality, and trying to run a crowdsourcing campaign for a game that already has a budget and already could develop the content.

So I can't say I'm surprised.