The Wolf Among Us Episode 3: A Crooked Mile Review - Yes!

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
What a fantastic episode... Although, I really ,*really* wanted to gut Bloody Mary. That f***ing b**ch.

Apologies for the language, but, guuuuhhhhhh, just after I'd *finally* gotten to wallop the shit out of the magical moron twins....

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
njrk97 said:
As much as a loved this episode and that last section was awesome i also realised something
[spoiler = ending] Have they played their cards to early, i mean its awesome he goes what i asume to be full wolf but it seems like well... that the buildup for it is gone. From looking at the titles card things i assumed that you would only go full wolf in the final episode so it would be a big thing, now what are they going to do in later episodes. He can change again but its still something we have seen, i reckon it will lose its impact from now on.

Worse of all i don't think it was needed, they could of had him partially transform but more than what we have seen instead (IDK maybe he could be covered in fur but he still looks like Bigby)and that would of been enough. Does anyone else think that changing was used to early in the series? Or am i missing something and that's still only a partial transformation?

Edit: So in cannon comics it seems this its still a partial change from pics i have seen, regardless do you think that even that half change is played to early, i mean we dont even know if he will even go full wolf in the games[/spoiler]

Oh, boy, I can't really comment without spoiling stuff, but if you have a look at the comics, then your question may be answered!

I refer to your second paragraph, by the way.

Awesome episode, and it really doesn't give you any breathing space, huh?

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
TravelerSF said:
HOLY CRAP!

I mean things so wrong in this episode! At the end you really get the feeling, that this if far too big for Bigby and Snow. They have no idea what they're up against and no idea how to get out of this mess. It's funny, as Bigby you're used to feel so powerful, but at the end of it I was left feeling small and weak.

One thing I'd have to complain is the timed choices that happen EVERY TIME, even when it's not necessary to hurry. On a few occasion I made a choice I was not happy with thanks to being in hurry. Give us some times, these are important decisions!

Also:

I loved Bloody Mary. The actress did an incredible job, selling the character in such a short time. That little giggle she mad won me over completely. I mean sure, it's a despicable and rotten character, but once again she made clear just how helpless Bigby really is in the grand scheme of things.
I liked her a lot, as long as you ignore her hands. Play it again and you'll see what I mean - tiny, tiny hands that I couldn't help but stare at the whole time she talked. Shame, because I could easily see her becoming my second favourite character after Gren.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
njrk97 said:
As much as a loved this episode and that last section was awesome i also realised something
[spoiler = ending] Have they played their cards to early, i mean its awesome he goes what i asume to be full wolf but it seems like well... that the buildup for it is gone. From looking at the titles card things i assumed that you would only go full wolf in the final episode so it would be a big thing, now what are they going to do in later episodes. He can change again but its still something we have seen, i reckon it will lose its impact from now on.

Worse of all i don't think it was needed, they could of had him partially transform but more than what we have seen instead (IDK maybe he could be covered in fur but he still looks like Bigby)and that would of been enough. Does anyone else think that changing was used to early in the series? Or am i missing something and that's still only a partial transformation?

Edit: So in cannon comics it seems this its still a partial change from pics i have seen, regardless do you think that even that half change is played to early, i mean we dont even know if he will even go full wolf in the games[/spoiler]
Well, it may not be 'full', as he:
can still turn into a giant four-legged wolf, at least as far as the comics go.

Ah didn't spot your edit. x) But he's also more bestial in the game, he's still in there obviously but it seems like a kind of incredible hulk type thing.

TravelerSF

Nov 13, 2012
Sseth said:
People are gushing all over this title, and Greg Tito gave it a perfect score. I absolutely love it too but it's far from perfect and I'd like to see people criticizing its linearity a little more. It's easy to introduce inconsequential choices. Telltale has been doing it in all of their games. But when are they going to get gutsy or really innovate and find a way to make choices more impactful? It does not matter what lead you decide to follow, you'll end up being led to the same place. So what's the tension about, really? It's just a different choice of scenery as you are rail roaded towards the conclusion.
I'd say the point is to give the player (limited) control over the game's story so that they feel more invested in it. Like how
In Episode 2 you could interrogate either Deedle or Woodsman depending on your choice in Episode 1

They ARE creating the story just as much as the writers and every playthrough is a personal experience because of that. It's the "it's not the destination, but the journey" -cliche. One might call it useless when it all leads to the same place, but really it's just another way to pull off this kind of choice-based story. Some people want their choices to change the ending, others don't mind as long as the journey there is enjoyable.

Granted, I'm having my doubts whether my actions as Bibgy truly change anything. Is it really worth it trying to make amends with characters like Holly?