The Wolf Among Us Review - Episodic Elegance

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
JokerCrowe said:
Yeah maybe but... SERIOUS SPOILERS:
[/spoiler]
Actually I believe it was implicitly stated that this was a prequel and canon, so... Smoke and mirrors seems to be the most likely explanation.

Amaror said:
i am mad because you spoiled information from the comics, that spoil a huge plot point of the game.
I've seen as much of the game as you have, I don't see how I could spoil next episode for you. The rest is just my guesswork and speculation, public knowledge, and comics that have been available for a decade. I could be dead wrong on this.

It's not like I work in Telltale games after all, so I have no way of knowing where will the story go. It would have been like JK Rowling ending Philosopher's stone with "LOL BTW SNAPE KILLS DUMBLDORE IN BOOK 6"

hazydawn said:
Someone here who's read the entire comic? I want to read up a little bit on the characters and the world but I'd like to avoid beginning from the start if possible...e] I mean it's started in 2002 there must be plenty of issues. So any recommendation where I should start reading?
I've read about 50 issues so far, out of 120+. I suggest you start from the beginning, it's pretty interesting and establishes a lot of facts you need to know to appreciate the story. It's not one of those comics that are divided into volumes, so you can't just start reading from volume 3 and still have a complete story. There are multiple arcs and earlier ones are quite good. You might catch a lot of references to the game too.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
I have a question: I bought this game on Steam, to play on my Mac, for personal reasons I won't have access to it during the week, so I thought about installing it on my work laptop (Dell), which MIGHT run the game. Does anybody know for sure if a game saved in my laptop will transfer to my Mac, like Shadowrun did? Otherwise I'll just wait for next week... Thanks guys!

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
hazydawn said:
Someone here who's read the entire comic? I want to read up a little bit on the characters and the world but I'd like to avoid beginning from the start if possible... I mean it's started in 2002 there must be plenty of issues. So any recommendation where I should start reading?
Heh, I read from the start and then stopped for a very long while to the point I can almost say I'm as lost as you lol I've picked up again recently though, with the digital releases of the collected editions and all; I've read about 4 volumes and its pretty neat, I tried to pick the story from the point it is today, but found that it was lacking info, that I had lost many important events so I just decided to go with slowly buying the collected editions, which takes me to tell you something: I do not think this is the kind of comic book you'll want to buy in a monthly basis like most other, rather go with the volumes so you can keep story arcs together, the pacing here is not that of your usual Batman or X-Men, I strongly believe it sorta damages the experience, I'd rather buy less frequently, but buy it collected (and if it's digital it seems the collected edition is cheaper, not sure...).

Also, there are some new Fables books now, it seems, and I have no idea how to drive you through them, but maybe they can be seen as isolated collections, which might serve your purpose. It's stuff like Fables: Cinderella, and a few others, dunno if they are/were mini-series or downright spin-offs...

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
Milanezi said:
I have a question: I bought this game on Steam, to play on my Mac, for personal reasons I won't have access to it during the week, so I thought about installing it on my work laptop (Dell), which MIGHT run the game. Does anybody know for sure if a game saved in my laptop will transfer to my Mac, like Shadowrun did? Otherwise I'll just wait for next week... Thanks guys!
Checking the store page I don't think it has cloud saving so won't transfer the save over.

OT: I really like the first episode, do hope second and onward are just as good or better.

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
therandombear said:
Milanezi said:
Checking the store page I don't think it has cloud saving so won't transfer the save over.

OT: I really like the first episode, do hope second and onward are just as good or better.
Thanks, I didn't find anything either, but since I'm not exactly a Steam expert (I'm pretty dumb when dealing with it actually, too much console time lol) I thought it was safer to ask around... Well Mr Bigby, 'till next week I guess then o.o

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
Milanezi said:
Thank you for the response. I'm still not sure where I should begin, whether I can skip a few volumes but at least I get the general gist of how it is built up ^^
So... is the wolf the protagonist, a main character or secondary character?

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Hawkeye21 said:
JokerCrowe said:
Yeah maybe but... SERIOUS SPOILERS:
[/spoiler]
Actually I believe it was implicitly stated that this was a prequel and canon, so... Smoke and mirrors seems to be the most likely explanation.
Yeah. Also I was reading through my comics and I realized that some characters are in the game that have been killed in canon.
Colin the pig for example
And I guess that means that it's a prequel. ^_^
Which makes me somewhat relieved. :p

Milanezi

Mar 2, 2009
hazydawn said:
Milanezi said:
Thank you for the response. I'm still not sure where I should begin, whether I can skip a few volumes but at least I get the general gist of how it is built up ^^
So far he's ONE of the main characters, the most important being Snow White. Almost as important as his character (maybe AS important AS him) we have Bluebeard, Prince Charming, Red (Snow White's sister, it seems there's a Grimm fairy tale where she has a sister, but it's not the SAME Snow White as far as the fairy tale goes, in the Fables series though, it's the one and same Snow :p), Jack and that's about it so far as I've read them; there are many other characters though that might become more important further down the line, but I wouldn't know... The main villain is the "Archenemy", the responsible for pushing them out of the fairyland (it seems he took other "fantasy lands", whatever that means, before reaching theirs), however, I haven't seen any confrontation at all against him/her, not even saw what he/she looks like, mostly the plots are internal, like crimes being committed, "mundy's" (that's us humans) interfering with fable affairs, politics etc.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
Milanezi said:
hazydawn said:
Milanezi said:
So far he's ONE of the main characters, the most important being Snow White. Almost as important as his character (maybe AS important AS him) we have Bluebeard, Prince Charming, Red (Snow White's sister, it seems there's a Grimm fairy tale where she has a sister, but it's not the SAME Snow White as far as the fairy tale goes, in the Fables series though, it's the one and same Snow :p), Jack and that's about it so far as I've read them; there are many other characters though that might become more important further down the line, but I wouldn't know... The main villain is the "Archenemy", the responsible for pushing them out of the fairyland (it seems he took other "fantasy lands", whatever that means, before reaching theirs), however, I haven't seen any confrontation at all against him/her, not even saw what he/she looks like, mostly the plots are internal, like crimes being committed, "mundy's" (that's us humans) interfering with fable affairs, politics etc.
Snow White's sister is Rose Red, from the Story of Snow White and Rose Red. That one involves a Prince turned into a bear and a nasty dwarf who keeps getting his beard caught in something and they have to cut it, which angers him (he LOVES his beard). Eventually, he gets angry enough at the girls to try to kill them, even though they are really only trying to help him as best they can, and the bear (who they kept alive through the winter in their cottage) comes to save them and kills the little bstard, which somehow frees him from the curse the dwarf put him under.

Also, I think it's been pretty well established in the comics that the fables are immortal because they are so well-known. Snow White (because of the Disney movie) is thus effectively immortal, where as Donkey Skin is a much less well-known tale (and well it should be, considering Donkey Skin's father wants her to replace his dead wife in every way, including in his bed. :p

AgDr_ODST

Cortana's guardian
Oct 22, 2009
Hawkeye21 said:
I absolutely loved this game, can't wait for next episode.

SERIOUS episode 1 spoiler:
So, I've recently read that episode 1 story is canon, which, given that its a prequel, means that Snow White will "get better" at some point. Well, I guess, if she survived having her brains splattered all over with a high-caliber sniper rifle in the comics, decapitation is not THAT much harder to shrug off... I hope, I really liked her character in game.
Finally got a around to buying it and I feel the same way, heavily anticipating Episode 2!

While I didn't want to get into comic details yet, (What with TWOU being a prequel I figured I could go from it to the comic either after this or after playing the final episode) I am happy to know that Snow survives or atleast comes back in spite of her being the fable killers next victim.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Bought it during the recent Steam sale and just played through it tonight. Wow, this is truly amazing. When I saw all the praise it was getting I didn't really think it would live up to it. I was quite wrong.

disillusion_me

Jun 21, 2009
I'm looking forward to this but i think 23 Euros for two hours of play is just too steep...gonna wait for all 5 i guess