The Word Snigger

Edith The Hutt

Flying Monkey
Oct 16, 2010
Rellik San said:
To be fair though this is true of all words, not just ones that could potentially cause offence, I can't count the number of times I was working in a bar and had to explain what "decant" meant:

"Would you like me to decant it for you?"
"....What does that mean?"
"It means to pour it into..."
"OH! Why didn't you just say that?"
"Because there's a word for it and that word is 'decant'."

That kind of exchange happened more than I'd care to admit.
Decant doesn't mean pour, it means a separation of substances by removal of a liquid layer. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decantation] So when you pour the fat off gravy, you're decanting it, you're also decanting wine by removing it from the sediment which usually accompanies bottled wine; this is a different process from a simple transfer of the wine from bottle to receptacle (ideally a decanter, but you can get away with a glass if you're careful). With wine you're hoping to catch the sediment at the shoulder of the bottle (or base of the decanter) when you pour it, thus separating the wine (the liquid layer you want to drink) from the sediment (the solid layer you really don't)

Sorry, I'm a pedant and a wine lover, I couldn't let that ambiguity stand.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
wulf3n said:
shootthebandit said:
While I agree with you I dont think people should be forced into saying something they feel uncomfortable with. Whilst I understand Samuel L Jacksons reasoning I think he was very rude forcing him into an uncomfortable situation

While filming django leonardo dicaprio had to stop filming because his lines where too intense. Granted the context in the movie is more than simply using a word as a direct quote or to explain its meaning but I can still see why people wouldnt be comfortable and they shouldnt be forced into saying anything
Sure people shouldn't be forced into doing something their uncomfortable doing, but the whole idea of the people finding the word uncomfortable to say is basically my point.

It's not the word people should be uncomfortable with, but the meaning. Being afraid of the word is meaningless.
I think I covered this in a previous comment and I agree entirely. The word itself is simply 6 letters written down. These 6 letters without any meaning are just 6 random letters. Its when you add context it becomes offensive

The word ****** actually comes from "negro" (spanish for black) and "niger" (latin for black). The actual literal meaning of the word is not offensive either. However when you have 200+ years of slavery and a further 100(ish) years of segregation with people being simply called "******" then yes it is offensive

I can appreciate when this is used in context or not however the horrible context of this word is engrained in the minds of people and I can see why they feel uncomfortable saying it even if there is no context or weight behind it

I could go on to argue that the word "boy" is offensive (in a certain context). Im pretty sure we all know that "boy" is a perfectly innocent word however black people where often referred to as "boy" which in this context makes it a racial slur. Are we afraid to use the word "boy"? No because context is vital to the meaning of words

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
gargantual said:
Eamar said:
wulf3n said:
Eamar said:
If for whatever reason it's really necessary I'll use them, but in this sort of conversation it's perfectly obvious what I mean, so I don't see the problem.
You don't see a problem with a legitimate and worthwhile conversation being stifled because the person was terrified of using a word?
Wait, what? How on earth am I stifling anything? I'm not against discussion and I don't criticise those who do use the full word in such discussions, I just choose not to use it myself so long as I can still be understood. Again: what's the problem?
Well there you go. See how when you say 'I' it brings about more understanding?
I thought it was pretty obvious I was only referring to my own personal usage (in response to being asked about my personal usage, none less). Said "I" plenty of times in the original post, talked about my opinions on the words and how using them made me feel and the efforts I go to in order to ensure that I am understood. Sorry for labouring the point there, but I really fail to see how I could have been any more clear.

[small]Also, I don't know if you meant it that way at all since tone is a ***** to convey on forums, but the quoted turns of phrase came across as really smug and patronising. Not an accusation, just an observation from the receiving end.[/small]

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
wulf3n said:
It's not the word people should be uncomfortable with, but the meaning. Being afraid of the word is meaningless.
A lot of our quirks and eccentricities are fundamentally meaningless, doesn't mean they're necessarily harmful or wrong. I know plenty of people who don't like swearing at all, to the point where they'll substitute "effing" for "fucking" in reported speech and such. There's no real meaning behind that behaviour, they're not "afraid" of the words or their meaning, they just find them distasteful for whatever reason and prefer not to use them themselves, even if they have no problem with other people using them. I've seen a few people on these forums type things like "f**k", "c*nt", and indeed, "n****r". Sure, maybe it's meaningless to you, but it's obvious what they mean, it does no harm as far as I can see, and it clearly has some meaning to them, no matter how small.

Live and let live. So long as people aren't censoring legitimate conversation and can still communicate effectively, let them set their own boundaries.

gargantual

Jul 15, 2013
Eamar said:
gargantual said:
Eamar said:
wulf3n said:
Eamar said:
If for whatever reason it's really necessary I'll use them, but in this sort of conversation it's perfectly obvious what I mean, so I don't see the problem.
You don't see a problem with a legitimate and worthwhile conversation being stifled because the person was terrified of using a word?
Wait, what? How on earth am I stifling anything? I'm not against discussion and I don't criticise those who do use the full word in such discussions, I just choose not to use it myself so long as I can still be understood. Again: what's the problem?
Well there you go. See how when you say 'I' it brings about more understanding?
I thought it was pretty obvious I was only referring to my own personal usage (in response to being asked about my personal usage, none less). Said "I" plenty of times in the original post, talked about my opinions on the words and how using them made me feel and the efforts I go to in order to ensure that I am understood. Sorry for labouring the point there, but I really fail to see how I could have been any more clear.

[small]Also, I don't know if you meant it that way at all since tone is a ***** to convey on forums, but the quoted turns of phrase came across as really smug and patronising. Not an accusation, just an observation from the receiving end.[/small]
Yeah I see that. I'm just highlighting the importance of how you communicated, and personalized it. I noticed that without reading all of your forum posts, so I'm saying is a good thing. I'm saying that 'I' is paramount. Based on this response I can see how you may perceive my opening sentence with a sense of

"another dude picking out my words? Is someone trying to fault find on a Sunday evening? really?' But nah I come in peace. and you at least asked for clarification so I appreciate that.

And yeah on forums, I get people really love to dig their heels negatively into constructive talk, but it can come from genuine interest as much as ridiculous knee jerk

'There you go' is just as much in confirmation. or 'nail in the coffin' or 'what you said right there. Important highlight.' and not that dismissive gesture of 'Ohh. prrfft. *sigh* there (insert poster) goes'

Yeah...that would merit a completely different situation and different means of expression entirely, like a facepalm avatar or gif or something.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Reminds me of the time a newsman, who was himself black, was fired for using the word "nigardly", which most likely stems from the French word nig, meaning stingy. ****** comes from Spanish negro, meaning black. Slightly different languages the roots are from and a black man was still fired for saying it on air.

At least in his case I think I remember people getting butthurt enough at the company that he was rehired or something along those lines.

AdagioBoognish

Member?
Nov 5, 2013
Probably one of the funniest conversations about racial slurs I've ever seen, if only for the phrase, "You can't taste racism."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZoVcfUhcZ0

shootthebandit said:
Dexterity said:
shootthebandit said:
This is really stupid. Snigger is a genuine word. Its like avoiding referring to a cigarette as a "fag" because americans use the word as a homophobic slur
It's pretty funny really, because depending on whether you're American or British, the phrase "Smoke a fag" can either come across as "Go outside and smoke a cigarette" or "Shoot a gay guy".

Personally I use the phrase a lot, because it's just general slang where I live, but I imagine with no context or anything, it could sound... Well, really weird to someone who doesn't understand foreign slang.
Where I come from "tapping/bumming a fag" from someone is a slang for asking to borrow a cigarette. Imagine going to america and completely forgetting their use of the word and asking to "tap/bum a fag"
Lol, yeah there's a huge difference in what that means over here. It's kind of funny how small misunderstandings between two cultures could lead to people being extremely offended.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I thought it was snicker.

I've never seen that spelling of the word. You sure you haven't fallen into some kind of accidental racist injoke?
No, snigger is the accepted word in the UK. I rarely hear the word "snicker" and it sounds alien and unpleasant to my ears.

Eamar said:
shootthebandit said:
Eamar said:
I've been called an SJW in the past
Whats an SJW? (PM me if you dont want to say it) im just curious
Oh, it's not that bad - it stands for Social Justice Warrior. People use it as an insult to imply that you're on the-darkest-depths-of-tumblr levels of political correctness and whatnot. Mostly it's just an attempt to dismiss more liberal/feminist/whatever views.

As for the N-word thing, I guess it's just that a lot of people, myself included, don't feel comfortable saying it, even in a purely explanatory context. It may not be logical, but it just feels wrong.
I always prefer to use the actual word to make it clear what I'm talking about. It is also my belief that "offensive" words such as "******" or "fag" or "paki" (UK term for people Asian/Indian origin) should be either forgotten about or brought into general use to dilute and eventually remove their sting.

shootthebandit said:
Context is everything. Context can change the meaning/power of any word and granted there arent many reasons this word isnt offensive (outside of an explanatory context) but people just hear the word and assume its offensive without first understanding the context
I agree. It seems to be a common trend to leap to conclusions without reading any back story. I have started making a point of doing research before opinionating on anything.

On a slightly off topic note, I looked up some derogatory terms for this post and they were hilarious. Here're a few:

Porch monkey
a black person

Sand ******
person who dwells in deserts of Saudi Arabia or African continent. Derogative term used to cause offence.

Raghead
Arabs, Indian Sikhs and some other Indian peoples, for wearing traditional headdress such as turbans or keffiyehs. Sometimes used generically for all Islamic nations.

Camel Jockey
Term used to describe Arabs.

Yellow, Yellowman, or Yellowwoman
designating or pertaining to an Asian person, in reference to those who have a yellowish skin color.

Curry Muncher
used in Australia, Africa, New Zealand, and North America, it is a person of East Indian origin.

Honky (U.S.)
Offensive term for a white person.

Peckerwood
(U.S.) a white person (southerner). The term "Peckerwood," an inversion of "Woodpecker," is used as a pejorative term. This word was coined in the 19th century by Southern blacks to describe poor whites. They considered them loud and troublesome like the bird, and often with red hair like the woodpecker's head plumes.

Oreo
Africans that practice white culture, called this because they are "black on the outside, white on the inside" according to users of the term.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
shootthebandit said:
This is really stupid. Snigger is a genuine word. Its like avoiding referring to a cigarette as a "fag" because americans use the word as a homophobic slur
I'm a Brit, but went to school in the US for a year back in 2001. Was about 13, asked teacher for a rubber, got detention. They call it eraser, and don't like when the students "cuss" at the teachers. You'd think we could standardise the same language nowadays, but apparently not...

K12

Dec 28, 2012
I remember this issue coming up a couple of times with the word "niggardly" (meaning stingy/ tight-fisted) which has absolutely no connection to the N word other than it kinda sounds like it.

I can sort of sympathise with people who assume the worst in that case because it's an uncommon word and sounds a lot like it has roots in the N word. Though I would lose that sympathy if they continued to treat it as a racial epithet when shown that they are wrong.

Snigger, though? That's a pretty common word and forcing you to use the word snicker instead is just stupid. Why not accuse them of racism (or Xenophobia anyway) since they have demanded that you use an American English word instead of a an English word.

If snigger has some other meaning somewhere else then maybe this is justified but otherwise this is just ignorant people acting like bullies. My guess is that they have unsophisticated obscenity filters and they want you to not use the word snigger to give them less work... that is not your responsibility!

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
Verlander said:
shootthebandit said:
I'm a Brit, but went to school in the US for a year back in 2001. Was about 13, asked teacher for a rubber, got detention. They call it eraser, and don't like when the students "cuss" at the teachers. You'd think we could standardise the same language nowadays, but apparently not...
What the hell did they think you were saying? How is rubber in any way offensive to anyone anywhere?

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Flames66 said:
Verlander said:
shootthebandit said:
What the hell did they think you were saying? How is rubber in any way offensive to anyone anywhere?
It's slang for condom. I was in Atlanta, where they're a little, well, conservative about these things.

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
Flames66 said:
Verlander said:
shootthebandit said:
Slang for condom.

Hammartroll

Mar 10, 2011
What I'm concerned about is people policing other people's language for politically incorrect speech in order to get the same satisfaction a grammar nazi would get. In other words, not doing so out of genuine concern for a minority.

Azriel Nightshade

Jun 9, 2008
Looking through this thread reminds me that one of the better decisions I made in my life was cutting out most any who used some variation of the phrase, "You're being to sensitive. That word has no connection, I don't know why your offended. It'd dumb to get offended at things. Here, let me explain to you why this isn't offensive, even though it's making your uncomfortable."