The worlds most immaterial criticisms.

maconlon439

Nov 16, 2011
As I watch the commercials for Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters, and see Alexandra Daddario's newly blonde hair, I remember how that people seriously complained about how her hair is different then it was in the books. None of them realized how immaterial that criticism is.

That's one of the reasons I don't like the Nostalgia Critic. A lot of his criticisms just don't have a lot of weight to them.

What I think is an immaterial criticism is the people who complain that the plan that beats the aliens in the movie Independence Day would not have worked since the aliens should have Anti-Virus software. A computer can have the best anti-virus software in the world and still be susceptible to certain viruses if the virus is not listed in the softwares virus definitions. In that case the software could not tell that the virus is a virus instead of a legit program. In the movie, Levinson had access to the alien technology in the form of the craft from Area 51. Therefore, it would not be impossible for him to come up with a virus that the alien computers were susceptible to.

So, what are the most immaterial criticisms you have ever heard?

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Someone at work didn't like The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared because, according to her, the prose didn't have a "female style." Um, yeah? So?

Sep 14, 2009
Queen Michael said:
Someone at work didn't like The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared because, according to her, the prose didn't have a "female style." Um, yeah? So?
i read that at face value, and didn't realize that was a book initially, and was fucking confused beyond belief at why someone would care why someone didn't have female style about climbing through a window, let alone not impressed that a 100 year old person could climb through a window.

OT: I do hate very nitpicky criticisms that do absolutely nothing to harm you or anyone in any such way, i just feel you should have a "deal with it" attitude, as the world doesn't revolve around you.

I have a friend who can't stand wanted because of the bullet/gun mechanics...like will literally get in your face over it if you talk about it in front of them.

slightly off topic: recently was this chick at work who got pissed that we didn't hand deliver the paychecks door to door to each person, and that instead we send them through the mail like every other fucking business ever and she had to wait 2 extra days to get her money (which she worked like dogshit, she only had 60 bucks or something coming in through her paycheck, not like it was making/breaking the bank, that old sea hag)

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
"But his eyes are greeeeeeeeeeen!!!" [http://sonicblast.org/topic/7214237/1/]

Never have I seen stupider nontroversies arise in the gaming community than those surrounding Sonic the Hedgehog.

Keoul

Apr 4, 2010
I remember a lot of people complaining that "Rue" from The Hunger Games was black.
Even though she was described as such in the books.

But yeah, hair color and that seems to cause a lot of stupid criticisms.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
maconlon439 said:
What I think is an immaterial criticism is the people who complain that the plan that beats the aliens in the movie Independence Day would not have worked since the aliens should have Anti-Virus software. A computer can have the best anti-virus software in the world and still be susceptible to certain viruses if the virus is not listed in the softwares virus definitions. In that case the software could not tell that the virus is a virus instead of a legit program. In the movie, Levinson had access to the alien technology in the form of the craft from Area 51. Therefore, it would not be impossible for him to come up with a virus that the alien computers were susceptible to.
Er, yeah it would have been. He's writing a virus in a language he doesn't understand, on a alien computer recovered in the 40s, to infect a computer system he's never seen built by an advanced alien race.

That's less sensible than someone discovering a punch card system from the 40s, and using it to hack the secure parts of the NSA. The NSA probably hasn't spent much money on making their system punch card system hack proof either.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
When people complain about repetition in games. Every single video game you will ever fucking play is going to be repetitive. What do you do in a brawler? Well you fight wave after wave of enemies. What do you do in a racing game? Well you race around different tracks, again, again. How about an RPG? Well you are either going to have random encounters, or see the monsters again, again. When anybody bitches about repetition in games, it's just so damn petty. Some are valid, most are dog shit.

Ix Rebound

Jan 10, 2012
maconlon439 said:
That's one of the reasons I don't like the Nostalgia Critic. A lot of his criticisms just don't have a lot of weight to them.

So, what are the most immaterial criticisms you have ever heard?
I think I've seen the video your talking about.
Is it "Everything wrong with Independence Day in Six minutes or less"?

Piorn

Dec 26, 2007
How you "can't die" in Prince of Persia 2007.
You have a platforming sequence, and when you fail, you start that sequence from the beginning, without a game over screen.
You know what other game did the exact same thing? Super Meat Boy. And nobody criticized THAT for "not dying".

Talvrae

The Purple Fairy
Dec 8, 2009
maconlon439 said:
Sure... but here its, more the fact that the langage of the virus would not even be recognised by the alien computers, and would be unable to read it, even less execute it and get infected by it

Moth_Monk

Feb 26, 2012
Hair colour could be a legit criticism if it screws the plot up. Imagine if Jeoffrey in the Game of Thrones TV series had brown hair. That would introduce plot holes. :)

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Here is one I am certainly guilty of, Link being made right-handed in the Wii version of Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword. It's obviously because I am left-handed(and I liked Link that way too) so I felt that Nintendo was screwing with Zelda tradition. In the end the Gamecube version of Twilight Princess is my preferred version not only because Link was still left-handed, but I preferred the controls so much more.

As for Skyward Sword, I think I(and other southpaws) have a good reason to be a bit upset since the game touts one to one sword motion controls, unless you are left-handed. I wish they could've made a lefty model for Link in the game, but even so, the game was never ruined. I eventually stopped noticing what hand Link held his sword in because I was having too much fun to care.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
Moth_Monk said:
Hair colour could be a legit criticism if it screws the plot up. Imagine if Jeoffrey in the Game of Thrones TV series had brown hair. That would introduce plot holes. :)
Or what if they'd made Mary Jane a brunette and Gwen Stacy a red head?

IronPerson

Aug 6, 2013
shrekfan246 said:
"But his eyes are greeeeeeeeeeen!!!" [http://sonicblast.org/topic/7214237/1/]

Never have I seen stupider nontroversies arise in the gaming community than those surrounding Sonic the Hedgehog.
Stole mine.

I really can't think of a better one, though I recall everyone saying Avatar the Last Airbender was 'cliched because it's just elemental magickz.' Good sign someone hadn't watched the show...

Imre Csete

Original Character, Do Not Steal
Jul 8, 2010
Talvrae said:
maconlon439 said:
Sure... but here its, more the fact that the langage of the virus would not even be recognised by the alien computers, and would be unable to read it, even less execute it and get infected by it
Maybe that's why it worked, the alien computer infrastructure couldn't deal with the human program language and went FUBAR because of that. Like putting a PS2 DVD into a PC makes it explode. :)

kyomi7502

Jul 29, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Yahtzee criticized Arkham Asylum for its box art. Can't get more immaterial than that.
I disagree. If you had no idea about the game and just went solely on box art it would be a different story.

Example: Two games you know nothing about.

One has bland two color box art with just the name on it.
Second has all kinds of things going on that make sense.

You'd be more likely to pick up the second one. Although I think I lost my train of thought there somewhere and have no idea where I was going with this.

Also.. Zim.. Yes :)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
kyomi7502 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Yahtzee criticized Arkham Asylum for its box art. Can't get more immaterial than that.
I disagree. If you had no idea about the game and just went solely on box art it would be a different story.

Example: Two games you know nothing about.

One has bland two color box art with just the name on it.
Second has all kinds of things going on that make sense.

You'd be more likely to pick up the second one. Although I think I lost my train of thought there somewhere and have no idea where I was going with this.

Also.. Zim.. Yes :)
I dunno, does anybody pick games by their cover? Don't they at least read behind it? And it's not even a misleading cover. It's just Batman standing there. Boom, you know it's a Batman game.
Also...

kyomi7502

Jul 29, 2013
I love that video. My avatar is supposed to be a gif.. it was when I uploaded it but it's oddly stationary now :/

Sometime I pick by the cover to find out what's interesting.. a lot of times the back side of it is just a bunch of fluff that gets me excited about things I found out that I later can't do.