The worst and most pointless weapon in any game.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
So the rules are that the weapon's primary purpose has to be that of being a weapon. Not something that has a side effect of dealing damage (i.e. the repair tool from far cry 3. It can light people on fire but is meant for repairing vehicles so it would not count.)

Right now, the only thing coming to mind was the sniper rifles from Mass Effect (the first one). There were few opportunities to use it and when you did it you could not hold it steady.

:EDIT: I have started a new Mass Effect game as an infiltrator specializing in sniping so I have changed what I though to be a pointless weapon further down in the thread. I guess my first time using them was weird considering I was just coming off of the vanguard class.

There are definitely worse ones out there. What are they?

vv85

May 25, 2013
Klobb, Goldeneye64 (mandatory mention)

All of the Unreal series infinite ammo weapons were pretty poor, especially the recharging pistol from Unreal 1.

The crystal shard from System Shock 2 - so useless

Blubberburg

Sep 17, 2009
Hotline Miami has a bottle, I don't know why it is in the game but you 'unlock' it (so it starts randomly spawning instead of real weapons) you can't melee with it , if you miss it still breaks and i'm not even sure if it kills a target when it hits them, meanwhile you can throw any other weapon to knock people over and kill them while they on the ground, or shoot them, or punch them over and kill them on the ground without a weapon, melee weapons are insta-kills aswell. Not to mention enemies are normally in groups and you die in one hit so this just sucks.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
mtcp122 said:
Right now, the only thing coming to mind was the sniper rifles from Mass Effect (the first one). There were few opportunities to use it and when you did it you could not hold it steady.
Until you put a Scramrail and Explosive Rounds on one, then you can oneshot geth armatures. Sniper Rifles in ME1 were way overpowered.

On-Topic: The whips in Dark Souls. They do next to no damage, and have an awful moveset.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Benpasko said:
mtcp122 said:
Until you put a Scramrail and Explosive Rounds on one, then you can oneshot geth armatures. Sniper Rifles in ME1 were way overpowered.

On-Topic: The whips in Dark Souls. They do next to no damage, and have an awful moveset.
I am actually tempted to start up another Mass Effect game just to test that out lol

My name is Fiction

Sep 27, 2010
x-Tomfoolery-x said:
Plasma pistol from Halo. The charge is decent enough to take out armour shields, but don't expect to do much killing with it.
Its a combo weapon. That and a magnum and you could 1,2 in no time. You can stun tanks and banshees to steal them.
Also it could track targets like a needler in reach.
If you had the tilt skull on it was a MUST have.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
Needle of Eternal Agony from Demon's Souls. You lose a better weapon to get it plus a boss' soul and it does very little damage and can't be enchanted nor upgraded. You also get souls from hitting an enemy with it but the amount is so little that you're better off just killing the enemy with a better weapon. What a waste.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
The Bubble Gun from Earthworm Jim 2.

It can't kill enemies. It has no in-game use. It just blows bubbles.

My name is Fiction

Sep 27, 2010
chimpzy said:
The Bubble Gun from Earthworm Jim 2.

It can't kill enemies. It has no in-game use. It just blows bubbles.
Not in the hands of bubbleman!

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
x-Tomfoolery-x said:
Plasma pistol from Halo. The charge is decent enough to take out armour shields, but don't expect to do much killing with it.
That's what I came here to say.
IT's a great tool but a terrible weapon.

My name is Fiction

Sep 27, 2010
torno said:
x-Tomfoolery-x said:
That's what I came here to say.
IT's a great tool but a terrible weapon.
But it is! Thats basicly saying I've never beaten halo on legendary or heroic.
Its directly a factor in killing someone if you take out the shields with it.
Or nets you a vehicle and you splater everyone.

Toxic Sniper

Mar 13, 2013
Benpasko said:
Whips are at least unparryable and somewhat funny. A notched whip can be a decent katana supplement.

The mail breaker on the other hand... Ugh, the Mail Breaker is really terrible. It's a worse rapier with nothing unique to make it worthwhile. I've seen virtually every other weapon in the game used (Outside of the obvious jokes like the broken straight sword), but the mail breaker is just bad and boring. It doesn't even have comedy value.

The vanilla dagger is also awful; it's a dagger without a giant backstab modifier like the Bandit's Knife or a unique ability like the parrying dagger.

Benpasko

Jul 3, 2011
Toxic Sniper said:
Benpasko said:
Whips are at least unparryable and somewhat funny. A notched whip can be a decent katana supplement.

The mail breaker on the other hand... Ugh, the Mail Breaker is really terrible. It's a worse rapier with nothing unique to make it worthwhile. I've seen virtually every other weapon in the game used (Outside of the obvious jokes like the broken straight sword), but the mail breaker is just bad and boring. It doesn't even have comedy value.

The vanilla dagger is also awful; it's a dagger without a giant backstab modifier like the Bandit's Knife or a unique ability like the parrying dagger.
The Mail Breaker is halfway between a rapier and a dagger. It has a better crit modifier than any rapier, so at least there's that. I used it for a while on my latest character, who mainly fights with a crossbow. And then I got the Iaito and became a true baller.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
The reason you can't hold it steady is because you lack the points in the relevant skill. The Mass Effect sniper is incredibly powerful.

The Halo plasma pistol is also extremely useful. Not as a direct killer, but the question was about pointless weapons, and it has several vital uses.

Fallout 3 and NewVegas - The BB gun, literally only good for killing radroaches, that can be killed with one hit of anything.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
The Gatito pins.[footnote]"By itself, this pin exhibits no power." There's five different sets, and Irregular Note is the only good one.[/footnote] For the amount of work it takes to get a full set and activate them, they really don't work that well - particularly the Eden set.

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
The hidden skulls in the Halo games. They are a weapon technically and they just act as a bashing weapon.

Laspistol from 40K. You DID say any game. But oh wait it doesn't count since its used as a laser pointer that can kill someone.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
The Straight Sword Hilt in Dark Souls. First weapon you get. Initially does indistinguishable damage from bare fists. Has E/E Str/Dex scaling even when fully upgraded. Also Aural Decoy.

The vanilla Dagger isn't really that bad considering it's purpose is to deliver lots of buff damage through Magic Weapon. Although alone, yeah, it's pretty hopeless and outclassed by the Bandit Knife.

And the move Splash from Pokemon. Or if we're taking that as an attack rather than a weapon, Magikarp.

EDIT: Oh and the fucking Sanctus. Shield that is meant to regenerate your health, in reality does something like 2HP per 2 seconds and doesn't even heal out poison. Any health regen effects on weapons in Dark Souls are fairly useless, but the Sanctus doesn't even have 100% block, so you'll probably take more damage by not using a better shield than you'll heal thanks to its regen. Shields can be weapons.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
Legion said:
The reason you can't hold it steady is because you lack the points in the relevant skill. The Mass Effect sniper is incredibly powerful.

The Halo plasma pistol is also extremely useful. Not as a direct killer, but the question was about pointless weapons, and it has several vital uses.

Fallout 3 and NewVegas - The BB gun, literally only good for killing radroaches, that can be killed with one hit of anything.
Yea, looking into that now, after starting a new game, I was pretty wrong about that one. One of the worst/pointless weapons I've used was the flamethrower in timesplitters 2. It had basically no range and anyone who got within range could just as easily run up and kill you by touching you, setting you ablaze.

proctorninja2

a single man with a sword
Jun 5, 2010
the lemon from pocket tanks hands down, fires in a random direction and only dose one damage IF you can someone with it (ive only had it happen once)