The worst argument you've ever heard

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
Fallout 3 is a bad game because it was made by Bethesda!

Pokemon stopped being good after (insert generation here) because (x) Pokemon proves they are out of ideas.

Those two arguments make me cringe

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Vausch said:
kyuzo3567 said:
Vausch said:
"They were associated with [thing that some group likely has a thing against already] therefore it was the cause of [the horrible tragedy the person was involved in]".

Latest example: Mass Effect was responsible for the shooting in Connecticut.
I honestly was reading some posts concerning that and I think I felt my eyes start bleeding from the idiocy.... I can't believe how stupid people can be for this, especially when (as far as I know) they were complaining about the brother of the person who actually committed the shooting.
You'd think eventually people would realise this happens so often it's lost all meaning, but no. People keep using the attack.

In the last 50 years it was comic books, dungeons and dragons, various films, and now games because they're the easiest target.

I'm waiting for the day someone commits a crime and says "I saw it on the news and wanted to try it". Would love to see how that goes down.
I had this conversation a few weeks ago. I said that i would do this if i ever flipped the fuck out and did something insane, just to make the masses think lol

nondescript

Oct 2, 2009
I see a lot of conservatives are stupid examples. Here's one to balance.

So I had a (very opinionated) manager who happened to also be vegan. One reason she was so against it was she believed animals shouldn't be kept for domestication. Her example:
"If people were supposed to drink milk, we wouldn't have people who are lactose intolerant."

*****************Pause here for PETA supporters to defend*******************

Even granting that not all ranchers or farmers may be humane toward their animals, pigs are still hunted in places because they go feral fast and will eat flesh. (Takes less than 5 years for them to go full feral.) There are other factors (Amount of food needed to replace, possible famine from grazing cows instead of drought, etc.) but the first that came to my head was "If people weren't supposed to drink milk, women wouldn't be able to breastfeed."

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
One of the worst reoccurring arguments i have seen (often even on this site) is "The devs were too lazy to _______"

People think that just because something they want in the game isn't, that means the devs spent the time they would have spent on it literally doing nothing. No no no. Nononononono!

When they aren't working on what you want them to be working on, they are usually working on something else. They aren't sitting in the corner masturbating!

This pops up so damn often. Do people really have such trouble grasping that not everyone has their priorities?

eBusiness

Sep 19, 2012
Every politician on the planet said:
It creates jobs!
It apparently doesn't matter how pointless those jobs are, or that the same can be said about almost any conceivable public expenditure.

You could hire one group of people to shovel shit from one pile to another and another group to shovel it back again, and you would have created jobs. You would also have brought society another step closer to collapse from lack of people free to do the necessary work, but normal political debate hasn't got room for such subtleties.

The more cynical amongst us would argue that the shit shovelling programme is already live and running well deep within the bureaucratic systems. But better not take it down, or you would destroy JOBS!

madmatt

Jan 12, 2010
Proverbial Jon said:
MetalDooley said:
Slippery slope arguments annoy the fuck out of me.Just because one thing happens does not mean that something else,often completley unrelated,is going to follow

For example I've actually heard people say that if we allow gay marriage then before too long we'll have to remove the age of consent and legalise beastiality
Specially for you:

OT: My favourite is: "Everything happens for a reason," when something tragic happens. It's maddening, grown people say this and yet all it does is communicate to me that the person in question suffers from a childlike naivety and a near-dangerous delusion that there's some sort of plan laid out for them. Shit stuff just happens sometimes, ya know?

The problem is, most of the people I know that say it aren't even into all that religious/spiritual stuff so what higher power are they basing this insane notion on?
At the risk of sounding like the old man in the attic, this intensely irritates me as well; I can only assume it comes from the need to believe there is a happy ending to it all. That maybe this bad thing is just the precursor to something better in some non-understandable way.

My pet peeve though is people who conflate the equal right to have an opinion, with the equal validity of those opinions. "That's just your opinion" argh...

D-Class 198482

Jul 17, 2012
Just saw this today, I can't entirely remember what the person said, but in a nutshell it was this:
"Someone said something is wrong, they must be right, and thus the thing must be wrong! Oh, you say the person who said something is wrong is wrong? YOU must be wrong!"

D-Class 198482

Jul 17, 2012
Arakasi said:
Prepare yourselves, this has video.

...Yep.
So he completely ignores the concept that, according to the Theory of Evolution, we evolved from monkeys which by stereotype eat bananas like mad, and thus would've evolved to hold them better?

Sirron Kcuch

Jan 3, 2012
DioWallachia said:
"There is no way to measure something as objectively bad or good. Everything is subjective"

Gee...what does this remind me off? George Orwell's 1984.

Emmanuel Goldstein, a strawman politician invented by the ruling party in order to draw out dissidents. Orwell uses Goldstein in order to set out his own views of totalitarian societies; in the book he is entirely correct, but the uthorities do not even try to suppress his message. Instead, they attempt to condition the population into being unable to comprehend an objective reality.
1984 is genius on so many levels

D-Class 198482

Jul 17, 2012
Palademon said:
"I used to be atheist like you, but then I realised God loves me".
I guess God loving you is another way to stop being an adventurer /shot
Sorry, those too lines are just far too similar :L

mionic

May 22, 2011
Guffe said:
"Because that's the way it is"
I can't come up with enough situations people have said this to me and thought I'd just accept that without any backup info, whatsoever...
Yes, every time I complain about something I get "But that's just the way it is!"
I should start punching people (Because punching is just the way it is) and yelling at them that THAT'S EXACTLY WHY I'M COMPLAINING ABOUT IT.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
Moridinice said:
God wrote the Bible.

if that were true in any shape or form. there would be another documentary book about the event when god came down and wrote it.
I love that one. Picking it apart unilaterally results in a mind-based BSOD. The poor guys don't want to back away or start messing with the metaphysics of their faith in front of me, so the usual saving throw involves "Well, it's metaphorical anyway! God told the Apostles to write it!" or something of the sort.

That's when they're slightly closer to a more credible response. When they reply with "Well, duh, Jesus wrote the Bible!", I tend to just flat-out give up.

My personal favourite is "This game's stupid because it's violent." My father lobs it all the damn time. He paid me a visit while I was working my way through a pirate outpost in FarCry 3, landing that one particular observation almost five minutes in.

I explained the premise of the game to him. "Well, then, it's still stupid because you can't talk the pirates out of shooting you," he replied.

Of course. How could I forget? The next time I see a bunch of coked-up and balls-tripping dudes dressed in red in the middle of a dingy collection of beachfront shacks, I'll have Jason pull out his white undies, stick 'em on a twig and make a little surrender flag out of it. That's sure to end well for me.

Everyday life gives people the impression that impartial mediation is always a possibility. In the context of a game like FarCry 3, I have no trouble at all believing in the setting's rule of "shoot first, ask questions later".

At least, Dad shares my relief at seeing non-brown and non-desaturated shooters creep back in.

D-Class 198482 said:
So he completely ignores the concept that, according to the Theory of Evolution, we evolved from monkeys which by stereotype eat bananas like mad, and thus would've evolved to hold them better?
I'd agree, but be careful. We haven't come *from* monkeys. We're primates, yes, but our closest natural relatives are the Great Apes. We've evolved *alongside* the current variety of primate cultures. Landing the argument that we're *from* these animals never fails to give believers or God-fearing types a window to poke at you for assuming that we're related to a supposedly lesser species.

This might seem like empty semantics to you, but that mistake saw me get stuck into a Darwinist debate with one of my Jehovah's Witnesses friends, back when I was in high school. That's a pretty thorny bush to get out of.

The Tall Nerd said:
HAHAHAHAH

they would just invent new ways to murder , what planet do YOU live on
Read Acton Hank's post over, Tall Nerd. He's saying exactly what you are, just in a more developed fashion. Yes, people would invent new ways to murder. He just said we'd switch to baseball bats, chainsaws and the like. Removing guns would end up proving the "Guns don't kill people" argument, one way or the other.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
Acton Hank said:
iseko said:
Worst argument ever:'guns don't kill people, people kill people'.
I don't see how the argument is inaccurate.

I'm pretty sure that if you destroyed all the guns in the world the murder rate would plummet for a short while and then people would just start killing each other again with baseball bats, chainsaws, knives and other common household appliances.
You don't see it? Ok then.
In itself the sentence is valid. A gun will not kill a person without another person holding it.
This is not however an argument pro gun posession. It is not even an argument. It is a statement. If it were an argument one could easily say: nukes for everyone because nukes dont kill people. People kill people. There is absolutely no difference at all. Except that nukes have the potential of killing a lot more people then guns. The same comparison can be made that guns can kill a LOT more people than a baseball bat can.

So yes it is a stupid argument because it is not an argument. Don't give people access to items which sole purpose is to kill stuff. That is what guns are designed to do. kill. No normal person would need something in its posession that is only good for killing. THAT is an argument.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
lacktheknack said:
Me, a Cashier: "I don't think we should keep throwing the grocery shrink out as it expires. Most of it is still good. We should send it down to the food stations downtown who will use it today, so we don't waste so much."

Random Girl Buying Stuff: "But wouldn't that mean that we starve the seagulls?"

To this day, I have no idea what she was smoking.
So a random stranger and a random seagull are starving, and you have one piece of shrimp.
Do you

A)Feed the shrimp to the human.

B)Feed the shrimp to the seagull.

C)Eat the shrimp yourself.

D)Use the shrimp as bait to catch the seagull, which you then roast and feed to the human.

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
A few days ago I heard this in an MMO general chat:

'The IRA are not terrorists. When they bombed English civilian high streets it was freedom fighting'

I wanted to choke that person over the internet.

Moderated

May 12, 2012
Acton Hank said:
iseko said:
Worst argument ever:'guns don't kill people, people kill people'.
I don't see how the argument is inaccurate.

I'm pretty sure that if you destroyed all the guns in the world the murder rate would plummet for a short while and then people would just start killing each other again with baseball bats, chainsaws, knives and other common household appliances.
They problem is with the first part, not the second. They are saying that the pointkillkill machine isn't for killing people.