The worst game world to be part of

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
Probably Saints Row. You can be just walking down the street when suddenly some guy dressed like a gimp punches you in the balls then beats you to death with a dildo. Then that maniac gets made President.

Oh and in Saints Row IV
The Earth gets completely destroyed

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
40K goes on planet-by-planet basis, but most of them are real shitholes- I imagine Nocturne or Ultramar being relatively peaceful, possibly Mars.

But, nominating Planescape in total. Most of the planes have some kind of hazard, depending on affinity probably more than one. Popping like a balloon on Positive Energy? Betcha.

Rabbitboy

Apr 11, 2014
At first I thought GTA for obvious reasons. But that if you wait long enough around some one you filled up with lead an Ambulance will arive and then they will fix the victim right there with a defibrillator.

If I have to pick it would be a Bethesda game (except ofcourse for the npc's marked as essential).

Bruce

Jun 15, 2013
Mario Brothers.

You are either going to end up being kidnapped by an amorous dragon-turtle-thing or a traumatised gorilla, or you will have your head stomped by a giant white guy essentially for being the wrong colour mushroom-person.

Unless of course he sets you on fire instead.

Ambitiousmould

Why does it say I'm premium now?
Apr 22, 2012
King Whurdler said:
Wouldn't that be the Warhammer 40,000 universe hands down? Every second of every day is just a never-ending torrent of blood, death, doom, and despair.
This. You're a Tau? You might be fine. That's assuming you don't go ahead and do anything that the Ethereals would rather you didn't (such as inter-caster hanky-panky, the punishment for which is literally indescribable, which is saying something for the WH40k world).

You're part of the legions of Chaos? Well, either you'll be angry, violent and likely to be beaten the fuck up under Khorne, fat, smelly, plague ridden, cancerous and otherwise in enormous amounts of pain while basically rotting as you stand under Nurgle. A hermaphroditic perpetual rape victim or living sex toy under Slaanesh, or holy shit if you are under Tzeench, it could be literally anything, and you never know from what second to the next will happen. It could be any that I already mentioned. It could be that one day, you are king of a system spanning empire, then the next, you are nothing more than a pink, sinewy mess stuck to the underside of Abbadon's space shoe.

Maybe you're part of the Imperium. Well, assuming you don't end up in some backwater shit hole planet like Volg, killed for being a heretic because you didn't prey to the God Emprah just now, brutally sent west while being part of the Imperial Guard or having gone through the excruciatingly painful procedure to become a Space Marine, then you will likely end up being killed as part of a civilian population during an alien invasion, or, just as likely, during an exterminatus from your own side.

You're an Ork? Well, I suppose this is actually the best of a bad situation. Sure, your life will be filled with little else other than wanton violence, but at least it's what you'll want.

Then if you're Eldar, there aren't many of you left, and you are also a space pixie. Who have power Psykers, but also feel every emotion a billion times more than anyone else, including the ones that come from having created Slaanesh (or at least your ancestors) which would be intense shame and guilt. Forever. Also, you will have terrible armour, it having been designed to look pretty rather than save your life. Then the Dark Eldar are basically this crossed with the Slaanesh one, so good luck with that.

Proto Taco

Apr 30, 2013
It's a toss up between World of Warcraft and Warhammer 40K for me, although I suppose World of Warcraft is really just 40K Lite. Both are basically nothing but a never ending torrent of hate and violence.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Vampire the Masquerade, or well, WoD in general really. It is just so bleak, and violent, and.. Horrible! ...Admittedly it is also kinda awesome, but still.

Time to reinstall. See you all in a week.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
GeneralBob said:
Kerbal Space Program

Jedediah Kerman is currently orbiting the Sun, would you like to terminate this mission? Seriously, out of 10 of my Kerbals: 5 will orbit the sun, 3 will die in impact on the mun, 1 will let go during an EVA, and 1 will return to Kerbin...to explode on impact.
Huh, really? Dozens of missions (including a return trip to Laythe), hundreds of hours play time, and I have not yet killed a single Kerbal. Not every mission is a success but I have at least always rescued anyone stranded.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
I'd choose Dishonored's Dunwall. It's one of the few game worlds that looks frighteningly authentic, like it actually could have existed at some time or place. I know it's probably inspired by some steampunk version of fascist era East-Germany, but the way it drives this home is done in subtle and clever ways. Corruption among a power hungry elite that wouild stop at nothing to maintain their position, people kept oblivious through indoctrination and propaganda and plague purging the streets of any 'unwanted' elements. It's a shithole for sure, but human nature has shown to actually be able to create these kind of shitholes. That's what makes it scary I think, that the idea behind Dunwall isn't entirely fictional. Dunwall is also one of the few game worlds that stayed in my mind long after playing. Really, really impressive what they created there.

I want a Dishonered 2 dammit! :p

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
infohippie said:
GeneralBob said:
Kerbal Space Program

Jedediah Kerman is currently orbiting the Sun, would you like to terminate this mission? Seriously, out of 10 of my Kerbals: 5 will orbit the sun, 3 will die in impact on the mun, 1 will let go during an EVA, and 1 will return to Kerbin...to explode on impact.
Huh, really? Dozens of missions (including a return trip to Laythe), hundreds of hours play time, and I have not yet killed a single Kerbal. Not every mission is a success but I have at least always rescued anyone stranded.
You must be some sort of god, then. Do you use autopilot mods?
If I'm honest, the missions that fail are the ones I enjoy most when playing KSP. Getting to Moho, only to discover that I don't have enough delta-v to get into orbit, or starting to land on duna only to discover that I left out the parachutes- it's the best fun you can have.
OT: Warhammer 40K takes the cake, of course, alongside Dark Souls and other very grimdark games.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
Fractral said:
infohippie said:
GeneralBob said:
Kerbal Space Program

You must be some sort of god, then. Do you use autopilot mods?
If I'm honest, the missions that fail are the ones I enjoy most when playing KSP. Getting to Moho, only to discover that I don't have enough delta-v to get into orbit, or starting to land on duna only to discover that I left out the parachutes- it's the best fun you can have.
OT: Warhammer 40K takes the cake, of course, alongside Dark Souls and other very grimdark games.
Haha, not really. I use no mods at all in fact, I just plan my missions carefully. I have lost several robot craft and come very close to losing a few Kerbals, such as when a rocket came apart during launch and most of it exploded in mid-air. Fortunately, the command capsule survived by pure luck (the remains of the stack had lurched to the side when a stray booster shot through the volume the capsule had occupied moments before) and was able to parachute to safety. I did once strand a crew of three on the surface of Laythe when I misjudged the amount of thrust their lander would require to return to orbit and rendezvous with their Kerbin return stage, but I used that as a challenge to build a more robust, crewless lander which I sent on a rescue mission. This was made easier by the fact that the rescue mission did not have to carry a return stage of its own and could just dock with the still-orbiting original return booster. I still have four Kerbals on the surface of Duna and have not yet made plans to bring them home but that will be the focus of a future mission.

Holy shit I can't believe I rambled so much about something so inconsequential, I just really like KSP. Anyway, that is why I believe KSP would not be such a bad game universe to be part of. *sweats and hopes mods believe this really has something to do with the topic*

So, to actually say something on topic, I have to throw my lot in with the people declaring WH40K as the worst game world to be a part of. WH40K was pretty much designed with this in mind, to be the worst of everything in any game universe, and succeeds rather well.

Crayven

Plum tickler
Mar 28, 2011
I'd have to say, sim city or black and white. You can't really do anything but try to live your life, then all of a sudden, your house is being blown up, your being attacked, aliens or gods are abducting you, and you can't even slightly resist or protect yourself, you can't hide and you can't fight. You are totally someone else's play thing? The heal you/build you a hospital? It's only to prolong the agony of you existence. Fight rival gods/ make police stations? It's to protect what they own.
In wh40k you can take a side, fight and be heard. In sim city/black and white your just a resource to be tortured for fun

Dies Irae

Jan 14, 2014
While I do agree with the fact that WH40K is one of the darkest fictional universes out there, I have to say that being an npc in a Dark Souls game would be the worst. All the npcs are either or both hollowed and insane, and you'll probably be killed by the pc over and over again just so they can get a piece of loot you have.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Dwarf Fortress.

You are lucky indeed to be taken by old age. You are most likely to spend a few miserable years carving stone trumpets until something dreadful happens to you. Even if you are a craftsdwarf that spends life in the relative safety inside. Sometimes, a noble might get the impression that you are responsible for the lack of the obsensely decadent and unobtailable luxury isn't being produced, and have the local executioner beat you to death. You could become a soldier, and eventually get gored by a unicorn or squashed by an undead giant sponge.

Once things really begin to fall apart, the last light of your life will be admiring chairs.

(all of this assuming you survive childhood, particularly in fortresses with a "daycare" program)

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
RJ 17 said:
Any GTA game...ever.

I actually had this conversation with my friends the last time I played GTA Online (which was a couple months ago): how much it would SUCK to live in this city. Think of what the San Andres nightly news would be like!

"Horror strikes again as a madman in a car mowed down 58 pedestrians while fleeing from the police and throwing C4 charges out the window, detonating them in the streets."

And that's every single day! I'd never leave the house, knowing that there's a high probability that I'll get absolutely obliterated by some random psycho driving around. Oh look! He brought a tank this time!
Me and a friend made this joke about Saints row all the time...

Ran over someone doing insurance fraud? Eeh. It's Stilwater.
Car ran over 15 pedestrians by driving on the sidewalk? Eeh. It's Stilwater.
Someone on a quad-bike, setting off fire-trails and explosions? Eeh. It's Stilwater.
Police officer using chainsaw on a protester, while being followed by a camera crew? Eeh. It's Stilwater.
Madman driving around with a tank, flattening cars? Eeh. It's Stilwater.
Mall quarantined for a massive battle involving numerous jeeps? Eeh. It's Stilwater.
Attack helicopter? Eeh. It's Stilwater.

I think Stilwater would fucking suck way worse than Liberty City. And Stilwater's tame compared to Steelport.

Jason Rayes

Sep 5, 2012
Im going to have to say 40k as well, its constant war and bloodshed. No matter what faction you are a part of, everything wants to kill you.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
The Shin Megami Tensai universe.

No matter how hard you try, the end to your journey is NEVER EVER a good ending. Your journey in general isn't filled with sunshine and rainbows either... you'll wish you were in Persona's universe.

Tiamattt

Jul 15, 2011
Diablo-verse looks like a crappy place for a NPC to live in. You're always close to some incredible evil that you're completely helpless against, most of your neighbors are long dead before the game is even done installing, monsters constantly respawn once the hero leaves the game so danger-wise you're back at square one and worst of all, you're constantly giving the hero gold despite the fact that you're a shopkeeper trying to make money from them! And s/he never buys anything from you since all they want is legendaries/uniques, which of course you can't sell.

:p

Jan 18, 2012
I was going to say Dark Souls, but thats only really dangerous for heroes and adventurers.

Any zombie game has you either fleeing from zombies, getting eaten by zombies, or becoming a zombie and getting killed by player characters.

Still, at least it beats life in a Bethesda game.