The worst possible time for the connection to lag out

DividedUnity

Oct 19, 2009
Ok so I was thinking after i remembered my old days of GRAW. Have you ever been playing a match and at the worst possible time it disconnects for whatever reason?

My story is that there was an achievement for completing an hour long Defend match online and it was the only achievement I needed. (for those who dont know defend is basically like survival. Players must defend against endless waves of npcs for the set time)The main challenge with this is not staying alive its that you run out of ammo very quickly. So with about 8 or so team mates everyone taking turns to kill enemies and such working together to keep the enemies supressed and taking shifts once our ammo dried up wed made it to about 57 minutes of 60 when boom. disconnect. I couldnt rejoin or anything everyone else got the achievement but even though i put in all that work i didnt get it. I never really played GRAW after that. Too much rage.

So escapist share your tales of mishaps.

Da_Schwartz

Jul 15, 2008
Somewhat relative but yourself or others logging out or just quitting on the final song of a long setlist in ROckband is always fun. Either leaving you with the one person in the band that everyone keeps saving, or crushing your chances of a perfect setlist score...

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
My library, who provided my old dial-up connection, decided to run surprise maintainence for a few days when I was vanquishing Cantha. This was when HM first came out and I was having fun with it.

TheFacelessOne

Feb 13, 2009
Garry's Mod, finished building the bestest terrorist base ever.

Also, writing a super super super long post when all of the sudden-

Ragnar Homsar

Feb 11, 2010
During a large fight or chase with several soldiers on you in Assassin's Creed II PC.

Woulda been nice if they added the option to either start from where the connection dropped out or reload the last checkpoint.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
When you're Main Tanking in Warcraft and you're in the last 10% of a high end raid boss that you're guild has never beaten, and you have fully under control.

Didn't happen to me personally, but I was a healer who had a sudden case of WTFs.

I do remember lagging out as a tankadin and logged back in fast to see that I was still AoE tanking like a champ and holding aggro. But I gave up WoW a long time ago.

o_O

Jul 19, 2009
TheFacelessOne said:
Garry's Mod, finished building the bestest terrorist base ever.

Also, writing a super super super long post when all of the sudden-
Use Firefox. Get the Lazarus addon. Never have that happen again. :D

OT: Anytime is a bad time for me. There really is no best or worst for me, it's just all bad.

Tzekelkan

Dec 27, 2009
L4D2, Swamp Fever campaign. After having tried to do it numerous times, never managing to get a team and make it through to the end, it finally looks like we're going to make it. The boat's right there at the end, ready to take us away, I press '5' for the adrenaline, click and then press the forward button so hard it was felt on the other side of the planet.

Next thing I know is my three teammates are serenely sailing towards the sunset while I'm getting horribly bum-raped by two tanks, thirty common zombies and my lovely connection.

Yureina

Who are you?
May 6, 2010
The other night when I was about to finish whipping someone's butt in a N:TW multiplayer battle. Thankfully, it didnt' record a loss for me, so at least I didn't get cheated in that way.

Rauten

Capitalism ho!
Apr 4, 2010
One I simply cannot forget, ever.

Back in the DC days, I played a lot of PSO. I had no broadband adapter for it (not sure if it was released in Europe at all), so I had to connect using dial-up. Which means if someone called, it dropped the line and I lost connection.

This one day, I was playing alone at the moment, PSO v2, online, waiting for some friends to connect and join me, and was killing random enemies in caves meanwhile, but I got killed (freaking Ob Lilies).
Thing is, for those who do not know how it worked back then, in DC v1 and v2, when you died, you dropped your weapon on the floor, and had to run all the way back to pick it up. And at the moment, I was using an S-Rank weapon (achieved by finishing challenge mode under a certain set time) which was fully grinded and whatnot.

And then my brother phoned.

And my line died.

And I was the only one in the game, so the game was closed and eliminated by the server.

And my beloved S-Rank weapon along with it.

I swear I never felt like murdering my brother with such intensity as that one time.

King Kupofried

Jan 19, 2010
League of Legends.
The few times I have managed to get "Legendary" so far usually just result in a moment where I run out to add another kill to my numbers, initiate a fight and...freeze...'You have been slain' 'Opposing player receives 1000 gold bonus'.

Rewdalf

Usually Sacrastic
Jan 6, 2010
THE
ONE
TIME
I'M
DOING
VERY
VERY
GOOD
ON
M
W

The game literally does anything and everything to keep me from having fun.
No joke
No exaggeration
I truly truly wish I was joking...

Aerodynamic

Feb 23, 2009
When your team has 30 seconds left, and you guys need just one more uber to get past a wall of sentry guns. You finally get it, you find a willing heavy, when there is just one building left, bam, lag spike, I get disconnected.

EDIT: Ironically, The Escapist timed out for me when I was writing this.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Aerodynamic said:
When your team has 30 seconds left, and you guys need just one more uber to get past a wall of sentry guns. You finally get it, you find a willing heavy, when there is just one building left, bam, lag spike, I get disconnected.
Oh, so very much this. Or just as I get behind the cart as a spy with about 6 enemies lined up for stabs and then everyone's just hanging there with the little timer in the corner MOCKING ME.

MMSouthpawVIII

Sep 5, 2008
I was one of the last hundred or so nerds on Halo 2 on xbox. Planted a bomb and then lagged out to never play that game online again

Raiha

Jul 3, 2009
thanks to ubisofts DRM, anytime you are playing AC2 BA DUM TSHHHHHH

ahh but seriously folks, i don't know if there is a good time to lag out. i suppose whenever your winning and the internet decides you are an asshole and kicks you out. stupid jerk-wad internet.