The worst save. Ever. Of all time.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
So, I was just playing Skyrim (AAAAAAAAAAHH ANOTHER SKYRIM THRE- NO! SHUT UP!)
and I know the value of quicksaving.... every 30 seconds.

Anyway, I was fighting this dude, and another dude. So I smash them into the groud, low on health, and so I quick save.

A dragon lands in front of me and eats me. In one of the pretty death cams. Yup, I get picked up, thrown side to side then flung into the air.

When I reload, I pop back with a slither of health, Mr Dragon-Nom-Face lands, and eats me. Nom nom nom.

So, Escapians? Escapists? Escaperons? Escapbebubbles? What is your worst save. Ever. Of all time. When you screwed something up so bad, and saved right then? Or when you just can't make it out alive? We all have. Just after or just before something frickin' horrible happens.

Did you screw something up?
Kill a friend?
Steal a sweetroll?
Save over a lava pit?

Save just as Mr. Just Relax brings out his "Friendly Mallet" but you escape, diving out the window? And then from that day forward, you are forever scared, and whenever you see a white van, a mallet or a big guy wearing a tuxedo you scream "I WILL NOT EAT YOUR HUGE NAIL!"

..... Just me? Ok.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Step 1. Keep quicksave.

Step 2. Record with Frapps.

Step 3. Post video of dragon-induced death on YouTube.

Step 4. ???

Profit.

Sandernista

Feb 26, 2009
Was at a word wall, killed a dragon was on very low health. Didn't notice I backed up into the dragon priests coffin. He was right behind me. Saved.

I tried maybe 30 or 40 times to run away before he one-shotted me.

Goddammit.

Norix596

Nov 2, 2010
In Far Cry 2, there's one mission who's post-completion auto-save prompt corrupts your data and makes your file unusable ever again - DOZENS OF HOURS INTO THE GAME.

I lost two files this way before I concluded that was the problem and never used any auto-save prompts again.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
In Duke Nukem 3D I accidentally saved my only file near the end of the last stage, while my health was 11, no armor, and while being shot at, by one of the pathetic lizard mooks, guess what happens. Come on, Guess.

This was over a decade ago, but it's made it's point and I've always made absolutely sure I was safe before saving ever since, and I haven't made such a boneheaded mistake since then either.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Shearpoint. I see the dragon just chillin' on the Word Wall. I zap his sorry ass back to wherever Aedra come from. Go to the word wall,get THREE WORDS OF POWER,HOLY CRAP! SAVED! Turn around...And a lich. With a fireball mid-flight. Well,fuck.

I tried so many times to get away. It just wasn't happening. So,sadly,I had to turn on god mode,and run away. When I got back to Whiterun,I turned off god mode.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
The first time I played FFVII I was chuffed to bits when I got out of Midgar the first time! I had playyed FFVIII before, so I knew what the world map meant... Freedom!!!
I saved and went to bed.
The next day, a friend came round. He wanted to see the game, but wanting to explore the new world on my own, I startd up a new game with him. Also to show him the set peices!
Guess what? In my hurry, and with the muscle memory you get when saving games I save directly over my other save... With no back-up...! AAAAH!
I now take my time saving... Always! Even though it was a decade ago the consequence still has effect on me actions!

Trippin tacos

Nov 26, 2010
I have a half life 2 save in which i am around half a second from driving off a cliff and into the water, needless to say i wasn't very happy about having to replay my previous save

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Trippin tacos said:
I have a half life 2 save in which i am around half a second from driving off a cliff and into the water, needless to say i wasn't very happy about having to replay my previous save
I have a feeling this is you:

Reload
SHIIIIIT

DUKES.
OF.
HAZARD.

Dead.

Reload....

Trippin tacos

Nov 26, 2010
Lil_Rimmy said:
Trippin tacos said:
I have a feeling this is you:

Reload
SHIIIIIT

DUKES.
OF.
HAZARD.

Dead.

Reload....
Yeah, pretty much, i tried to turn out of it like five times.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
In Oblivion I walked through a door, it autosaved just as I hit quicksave... then the game crashed. Couldn't reload either one without it crashing, and I have no idea why :mad:

My last proper save was about five hours of gameplay behind... yeah that was awesome.

Blade1130

Sep 25, 2011
Only one I can remember was in Halo 2, where you can't even quicksave. I accidentally drove off a cliff and tripped a checkpoint a half-second before going over. Unfortunately, the driver side went over first so I couldn't bail out. After dying 10+ times I discovered that the game actually goes an extra checkpoint back to when I didn't drive off a cliff. Never would of known.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
Dimitriov said:
In Oblivion I walked through a door, it autosaved just as I hit quicksave... then the game crashed. Couldn't reload either one without it crashing, and I have no idea why :mad:

My last proper save was about five hours of gameplay behind... yeah that was awesome.
And that's why we play Skyrim.
Also because we have epic songs in Skyrim.

VOICE ATTACK!

But the voice went too far right, it went to a mountain town and a forest.

Stop for the night, in the morning pass the windmill to the natural STONE ROCKY FORMATION.

TOBUSCUS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMKJ9fDM2mo

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
Skyrim. Was wondering some Dwarven dungeon full of Falmer with Lydia. It was pretty tough, but we were doing fine. I get to this one room, full o' traps, fuck up the traps, fuck up the Falmer, continue my way through the dungeon, quicksave before a particularly nasty encounter, fuck dem guys up, quick save. . . notice Lydia is no where near me. Backtrack. Lydia's corpse on the ground.

I quicksaved twice after she died. You will be missed, Lydia, it was rather sad that she had to leave my side. At least her body was still warm. . . (ok, I realize I went a bit far right there, I apologize).

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
HassEsser said:
Skyrim. Was wondering some Dwarven dungeon full of Falmer with Lydia. It was pretty tough, but we were doing fine. I get to this one room, full o' traps, fuck up the traps, fuck up the Falmer, continue my way through the dungeon, quicksave before a particularly nasty encounter, fuck dem guys up, quick save. . . notice Lydia is no where near me. Backtrack. Lydia's corpse on the ground.

I quicksaved twice after she died. You will be missed, Lydia, it was rather sad that she had to leave my side. At least her body was still warm. . . (ok, I realize I went a bit far right there, I apologize).
Well.

I would eat her.

Nom nom nom.

And that's why I am a werewolf. Whenever I get ragy at this game, I just change into a werewolf. Then I smile and run around fuckin' shit up!

Really, I eat anyone I liked. Yup, I will turn into a werewolf JUST to do that. I call it, "You were a good friend. Now you are good meal"

FilipJPhry

Jul 5, 2011
New Vegas. Quicksaved just before a family of deathclaws attack me. I survived, but at the cost of over 40 stimpacks, broken unique armor, and almost an hour. After the end of that encounter, I gave a loud "UGHH" as my battle cry. A few minutes later, I realized it was all for naught, for there was no valuable loot in that area.

Lil_Rimmy

Mar 19, 2011
FilipJPhry said:
New Vegas. Quicksaved just before a family of deathclaws attack me. I survived, but at the cost of over 40 stimpacks, broken unique armor, and almost an hour. After the end of that encounter, I gave a loud "UGHH" as my battle cry. A few minutes later, I realized it was all for naught, for there was no valuable loot in that area.
Finally.... I have bested.... the.... deathclaws....

Lets see....

A FUCKING NUKA COLA?!?

Sean951

Mar 30, 2011
Half Life 2, where you start taking out the big walker things. I had 4 health, no armor, and no more rockets. Eventually, I found the ammo and got more health, but that was a frustrating hour trying to fix my screw up.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
I haven't managed any terrible saves in Skyrim (thankfully, it also keeps two autosaves, so these things aren't game-ending...not that I couldn't just use console commands to save myself anyway).

I have, however, had a few times in FPS games where I saved AS a bullet was going through my head in a way that it was impossible to load and not die in about a hundredth of a second.

I don't remember the game, but I remember once having to replay about 75% of a campaign because of this.

And oh yes, KotOR 2. So many bugs. I saved after apparently doing something outside of the intended order once and found myself unable to finish the third world. I was so frustrated I didn't even bother going back and replaying the game. That is without doubt one of the most disappointing games I've ever played. This was, in fact, the last in a LONG series of bugs. At one point, I did something out of the intended order and broke things so badly that talking to a random NPC actually gave me a dialogue option along the lines of "Looks like you broke the game, click here to just finish the quest." So they knew about the bug, but didn't bother to actually fix it - they just put what essentially amounted to a console command into a random NPC's dialogue. Laziest. Design. Ever.