The Worst Theatrical Slaughter Since Abe Walked Into Ford's

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Canid117 said:
Does anyone else kind of want to see pictures of Helen of Troy in a camo bikini?
Very much.

OT: I think the most horrifying part of this is that they're making a Spiderman musical without a hint of irony.

Mailman

Jan 25, 2010
Is it wrong that while reading this the plot of Mel Brooks "The Producers" was flashing before my eyes?

mechanixis

Oct 16, 2009
I mean, this is a fine article and all, but...what the hell is it doing on the Escapist...?

Spacewolf

May 21, 2008
all this theater talk makes me want to see blood brothers again ive even got the devils got your number song stuck in my head, but i doubt these actors would still be working on the project if they didnt think it was worth their time/ the money their getting paid, i seriously doubt anyones pointing a gun at their head and saying get in that catapult or broken wrists will be the least of your concerned

laststandman

Jun 27, 2009
On the matter of Chris Tierney injuring himself, it is partially his fault. The stunt he was doing was not supposed to be a fly, nor was he supposed to run that far on the ramp. He distracted the guy (Patrick is his name) who was supposed to clip him in. That guy has nobody else up there with him, so it was a mistake bound to happen.

Also Tierney is a crackhead. They caught him smoking crack in the bathroom of the theater. He went away for a week or two and came back on a bunch of pills to get him off the junk. Nevertheless, he was acting like a stupid adrenalin junkie on a stunt that wasn't supposed to be anything huge.

If this show gets cancelled, my dad has worked countless hours for nothing. He and his guys will be SOL and looking for work again.

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
Maybe she thinks if people belive they might see an actual injury or death in a show it will make it more popular.

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
ZephrC said:
BlindMessiah94 said:
ZephrC said:
Wait, since when has the Escapist ever been a news site? It's certainly had gaming news on it, and it still does, but that's never been the only thing it did. For instance reviews are not and have never been news. Are they not allowed to review games? Are they just not allowed to post things you don't like? I don't get the complaint here.
First off, I never said this was a news site. But if you scroll to the top of the page you'll find a button clearly labeled "news". So it does report news, amongst other things. Second, they post stuff I don't like all the time, as they should. I don't know if I like or don't like the Spider-man musical and it's fiasco, but I do know I don't like the way this article was written.

An article with the attention of ranting should be done so in a much more intelligent manner than this. Read any of Shamus Young's rants and you will be able to clearly see the difference in how information is delivered alongside the rants compared to this article. In this article all I get is a sense of "One of us..." See things my way because they are the right way because I said so. Because I am jumping on the hate bandwagon and so should you.

Don't get me wrong, I love a rant as much as the next guy. Cynicism is my oldest friend. But it should be delivered in a fashion that is less preachy. It should be delivered with the intent of the reader making up their own mind based on your solid argument.
Look, you don't have to like the article. I don't even strongly disagree with anything you said, but every editorial, comic, review or comedy video shows up in that news list. That's not a problem with this article. If it's a problem at all, it's a problem with the way the site is organized.

You are certainly free to complain about the article. I just don't think it makes any sense to complain that it's not news. That one particular complaint makes absolutely no sense.
And when exactly did I say it wasn't news?

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
Holy hell. This show has to be stopped before it freaking starts claiming lives. And yes, I mean plural; this level of destruction against the cast suggests to me that when this escalates, multiple people are going down, Carrie-style. Which, given that musical's own failure, would be eerily appropriate.

ZephrC

Free Cascadia!
Mar 9, 2010
BlindMessiah94 said:
ZephrC said:
BlindMessiah94 said:
ZephrC said:
Wait, since when has the Escapist ever been a news site? It's certainly had gaming news on it, and it still does, but that's never been the only thing it did. For instance reviews are not and have never been news. Are they not allowed to review games? Are they just not allowed to post things you don't like? I don't get the complaint here.
First off, I never said this was a news site. But if you scroll to the top of the page you'll find a button clearly labeled "news". So it does report news, amongst other things. Second, they post stuff I don't like all the time, as they should. I don't know if I like or don't like the Spider-man musical and it's fiasco, but I do know I don't like the way this article was written.

An article with the attention of ranting should be done so in a much more intelligent manner than this. Read any of Shamus Young's rants and you will be able to clearly see the difference in how information is delivered alongside the rants compared to this article. In this article all I get is a sense of "One of us..." See things my way because they are the right way because I said so. Because I am jumping on the hate bandwagon and so should you.

Don't get me wrong, I love a rant as much as the next guy. Cynicism is my oldest friend. But it should be delivered in a fashion that is less preachy. It should be delivered with the intent of the reader making up their own mind based on your solid argument.
Look, you don't have to like the article. I don't even strongly disagree with anything you said, but every editorial, comic, review or comedy video shows up in that news list. That's not a problem with this article. If it's a problem at all, it's a problem with the way the site is organized.

You are certainly free to complain about the article. I just don't think it makes any sense to complain that it's not news. That one particular complaint makes absolutely no sense.
And when exactly did I say it wasn't news?
Umm... here:

BlindMessiah94 said:
Cool, I'm glad you have a completely unbiased opinion of something you have haven't even seen.

Regardless, even if it is a giant waste of money, the only opinion I agree with of yours is that they need to take better care of their staff. But shutting down the production?

Besides, quitting now would be pointless. If they quit now they have zero chance of recouping losses.

EDIT:

DonTsetsi said:
A little too close to a rant for my tastes.
HigherTomorrow said:
And once again, another thinly-veiled rant by Elizabeth Grunewald is published, instead of, you know, actual news, or at least an interesting rant. Can we get back to actual news?
My thoughts exactly. Just randomly ranting about crap is not news. At least Shamus delivers his rants in an intelligent and logical manner. This article feels like it belongs on fox "news".
Right near the end there. That was sort of the whole point of me replying at all. I didn't mean to make a huge deal out of it or anything. I just thought it was a weird complaint is all.

thepyrethatburns

Sep 22, 2010
I think what this proves is that superheroes really shouldn't be the subject of broadway musicals. Either you forego all the "superstuff" which means that you just have a standard musical or you have people trying to imitate the superheroics which just means large hospital bills.

Honestly, even if this play weren't having issues, I doubt that it would have recouped investment anyway. As it is, the hole just keeps getting deeper.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Forgive me if my cynicism reaches criminal levels at this point, but who's willing to bet that, at most if anything, ONE actor WILL inevitably lose his/her life to this on-going train wreck?

Kwaren

Jul 10, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
Maybe someone should explain to this woman that the reason Spiderman the Movie could be done is because much of it is done with CGI? Hard to replicate on stage. Unless...
Maybe if she went with a hologram performance instead [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105250-Japanese-Pop-Star-Draws-Crowds-Despite-Being-a-Hologram]. That by now, I am pretty sure, is cheaper.
That is not a hologram. It is a projection and also year old news.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
Wait...What??????

This show has injured 3 or 4 actors, incurred a 65 million dollar investment and it hasn't even opened yet?

God rich crazy people make me smile. A sad sad smile.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
thepyrethatburns said:
I think what this proves is that superheroes really shouldn't be the subject of broadway musicals. Either you forego all the "superstuff" which means that you just have a standard musical or you have people trying to imitate the superheroics which just means large hospital bills.

Honestly, even if this play weren't having issues, I doubt that it would have recouped investment anyway. As it is, the hole just keeps getting deeper.
What we needed this to prove it. Doesn't the whole "superhero broadway musical" scream this should not be done ever? I mean honestly do you really want to see any of our beloved comic heroes singing and dancing not for comedy's sake? Let alone fork out over 100 bucks to do it?