The WoW Killer has finally arrived

phreakdb

May 1, 2009
As it is, I am not an avid fan of WoW. I have told the people I socialize with that the reason I quit WoW was because it turned into Facebook with a video game UI. Add to that the removal of challenge and you have a formula for failure in my book.

It would seem however, and I am estimating here, that there are at the very least 20000 people, many with multiple accounts, or posting for their 100 member count guilds, saying they hate a new feature called CRZ. (There are actually around 2 15000 post threads full, and still rising. However, there are some responses in there every few posts saying "This is Great!!!" by griefers)

What is CRZ you might ask? It is apparently the bane of a great many WoW players. It is Cross Realm Zones. Blizzard has come up with an (apparently faulty) algorithm that yanks you off of your home server, and deposits you elsewhere. It has lead to an explosion of corpse camping, node farming, and people having presumably wasted millions of dollars on server transfers and the like.

And Blizzard continues to remain 'Committed' to the mechanic. It would seem, that ultimately, WoW has been killed by the only game it could be killed by: WoW.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
In all seriousness, I presumed it would be a fault on WoW's part that eventually fucked it up. I don't think this will kill the game completely but if it's as bad as you make it out to be then it might cut a sizable chunk out of the fanbase.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Wait, what?!? You are saying It puts your character on another server? Your guilds.... Your friends... Lol. That's fucked!

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
phreakdb said:
Thank you kind sir!
Back on-topic, I have a massive WoW nerd of a friend who I'll see at college on Thursday, I'll ask him about it. As an ex-WoW player who quit before Cataclysm came out, I'm usually interested in how the game is getting on lately.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
phreakdb said:
The WoW Killer has finally arrived
Those 2 words have been said so often they have lost all meaning.

Also yay that an evil mainstream game is having troubles/dying I guess.

phreakdb

May 1, 2009
Fieldy409 said:
Wait, what?!? You are saying It puts your character on another server? Your guilds.... Your friends... Lol. That's fucked!
Technically you are still on the same server. However, unless you are in a group with your guild, or any of your other friends, interacting with them is a toss-up. You can wind up gather resources on a pve server, even though you are pvp. It's all incredibly screwed.

I agree Aeshi. However, the only way you can kill that which has no life, is to let it create it's own destruction. While I seriously doubt WoW is dead at this time, I believe an event will happen to it which will make it hard for WoW, or maybe even Blizzard to recover. People are already leaving Diablo 3 in droves. If WoW has a mass walk out the likes of what occurred on Eve When Incarna was unveiled, I can guarantee you that Blizzard will get a bit bruised.

They aren't even trying to fix the problem either.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Popadoo said:
In all seriousness, I presumed it would be a fault on WoW's part that eventually fucked it up. I don't think this will kill the game completely but if it's as bad as you make it out to be then it might cut a sizable chunk out of the fanbase.
Hence Frodo is so relevant. Someone tossed the one ring into the fires of Mordor.

Rastien

Pro Misinformationalist
Jun 22, 2011
I had heard this was causing a massive shit storm, it sounds like wow is trying to do a similar thing to guild wars 2 with "overflow" servers but hasn't quite got it right.

From what you have said if PVE players are being dumped onto a PVP realm temporarily that is gonna make some people fucking mad lol i mean ganking is irritating anyway but if you don't even know its going to happen as your used to PVE realms? man thats gonna boil yur blood.

There aint no tears like a butt hurt wow player tears.

I used to play wow, was vaguely tempted buy mists but cant be arsed ^^ when pay day rolls in i'll be getting torchlight =).

I loved wow in the day, but if you eat crack every day eventually you get bored of crack and move onto a new more exciting drug! like GW2 or heroin you know which ever floats your boat.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Why do people want to kill WOW?

Good god, just leave the freaking game alone! Do you know theres people that actually might like the game right?

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
SecretNegative said:
aguspal said:

Good god, just leave the freaking game alone! Do you know theres people that actually might like the game right?
Most likely because it sets an unnecessary standard that's (for a lot of people) boring for MMO:s.

WoW has a lot of grinding, and WoW makes a lot of money, this makes publishers think it goes hand in hand and they make a WoW-clone in an attempt to cash in on the MMO-wave, setting a very sterile and boring nature of MMO:s

Personally I don't WoW to die because it's a shit game (which I by the way thinks) nor because I despise the company (which I also do) but because the standard it sets to other MMO:s.
So its the fault of the game itself that it was so good that it set a standard withitn its genere?

NO hate, NO bias either. I never played WOW, but the hate it gets for no apparent reason (thats not the fault of the game itself) has always been interesting IMO. Its kinda like COD, except I like COD, and I have no bias in this case because, again, never played WOW nor I want to.

If anything, get the hate with the ones that try to copy the formula and do so in a terrible way. And again, theres plenty of people that still enjoy WOW for what I heard.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
This may very well be the worst thread of the year. Not because "I'm being mean" but because it makes no sense.

There are 9 million subscribers and more coming back due to Most of Pandaria (which is fun so far)

WoW is fun still, this thread reminds me of the "Why do Halo players play Halo and not good valve games?" thread we had a few years back. Horrid memories of lost IQ.....

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
That this is the 'solution' to the low pop and faction imbalanced realms that they promised would come with MoP doesn't surprise me. All Blizzard care about is avoiding at any cost having to merge servers, despite the facts that the playerbase on half the servers have been begging them to do so for at least a year.

I honestly hope that Mists proves to be an utter catastrophe for Blizzard, because nothing short of their subscriber numbers going into freefall will shake them out of their current arrogance, and so long as they keep their current mindset they'll continue to run this game into the ground.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
SecretNegative said:
aguspal said:

Most likely because it sets an unnecessary standard that's (for a lot of people) boring for MMO:s.
So to put it bluntly we're blaming WoW for what other publishers/developers have chosen to do?

Should we start stringing up Halo for the fact everyone else has latched on to a two-weapon limit & regenerating health? or Quake for helping to start the "EVERYTHING MUST BE/HAVE MULTIPLAYER!!" trend? or the Wii for sparking off the whole Motion Control craze?

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
A few things that are wrong with this thread.

1) Cross Realm Zones only interact with the same type of realm. A RP realm is only crossed with other RP realms, while PvP realms are crossed with fellow PvP realms. Same with PvE and other types of realms. PvE crossing with PvP does not happen. Blizzard made it clear that only same type realms will cross with each other.

2) Cross Realm Zoning is only for low population areas. Northern Barrens has maybe six, seven people in the entire zone? You'll soon be seeing people from other realms then whenever you reach a town area.

3) The only real problem with CRZ is that you'll end up fighting over mineral nodes once in a while.

While CRZing is interesting in concept and implementation, there are too many realms and too many high leveled people for it to ultimately work like Blizzard wants. Alts are nice and all, but a lot of players like sticking to one, maybe two, characters.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
I always thought the only thing that was going to bring down WoW was WoW itself. While he might survive his would-be assassins, there is one unescapable fact, brought up by none other than Arthas' father.

"No king rules forever".

It's showing its age, and its beginning to get utterly buried beneath bad descisions. But, it was great fun while it lasted. And I finally got my tauren paladin towards the end, so I'm glad to say that WoW and I parted ways happily.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
aguspal said:

You are aware what "WoW killer" means, right? And it's nothing to do with directly killing the game. It's just a term for a game (MMO, presumably) that becomes more popular than WoW or at least roughly as popular. People who still like WoW would be, unsurprisingly, able to still play WoW. Same with "iPhone Killer" and the like.

Orks da best

Oct 12, 2011
aguspal said:

because of the game's strangle-hold on the mmo genre? If Wow didn't exist, the mmo as a genre would be more progessive.

That said why people have been wanting it for years I think is because of being butt-hurt fanboys.

Dr. Cakey

Feb 1, 2011
Didn't League of Legends surpass WoW or something? I don't know, I don't play either game.

Jaeke

Feb 25, 2010
aguspal said:

While I appreciate it for the memories, it did take up almost 5 1/2 years of my life (and I'm sure there are many of thousands who can say this same exact thing.)

And it kind of ruined MMO's too :p