The Wrap Says Joaquin Phoenix Wanted as Marvel's Doctor Strange

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
The Wrap Says Joaquin Phoenix Wanted as Marvel's Doctor Strange

Has Marvel bagged another unexpected star for The Sorcerer Supreme?

Jeff Sneider, writing for reliable Hollywood news site The Wrap, is reporting that "multiple individuals close to the casting process" have told him that actor Joaquin Phoenix is extremely close to being chosen as the titular lead of Marvel Studios' Doctor Strange.

Scott Derrickson (Sinister, Deliver Us From Evil) is directing the film, which is expected to be a big presence on Marvel's SDCC panel Saturday evening. Phoenix has consistently been among the actors most heavily rumored for the sought-after role, along with Justin Theroux, Benedict Cumberbatch and Tom Hardy.

Created in 1963 by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, Doctor Strange is a neurosurgeon who becomes a master of sorcery to protect humanity from demonic forces. If he accepts the role, it would mark a new career/visibility high point for the mercurial star; who was nominated for an Academy Award for 2005's Walk The Line but spent the years immediately after wracked by scandal involving substance abuse and erratic behavior - some of which was later said to be part of a public prank promoting the Casey Affleck film I'm Still Here - before reemerging to critical acclaim in Paul Thomas Anderson's The Master.

Representatives for Marvel and Phoenix had no comment.

Source: The Wrap [http://www.thewrap.com/joaquin-phoenix-eyed-to-star-in-marvels-doctor-strange-exclusive/]

[http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/conferences/sdcc2014]

Big_Boss_Mantis

May 28, 2012
Damn, Joaquin Phoenix is one of my favorite actors of his generation. He ALWAYS shines on the parts he are cast on.
I still think he deserved that Oscar for his breakthrough on Gladiator. "Am I not merciful?!"

Another good reason to see this movie when it comes out.

WaltIsFrozen

Apr 11, 2014
He'd be incredible casting, but I don't see him signing on for a Marvel multi-picture deal. If Marvel can't lock you down for the next decade, they're not gonna cast you.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Am I the only one that thinks Liam Neeson is such an easy casting choice for Strange, its weird no one has mentioned him?

bdcjacko

Gone Fonzy
Jun 9, 2010
hermes200 said:
Am I the only one that thinks Liam Neeson is such an easy casting choice for Strange, its weird no one has mentioned him?

Liam Neeson would be horrible and boring as Dr. Strange because you would only see Liam Neeson in a cape, not Dr. Strange. Plus Liam is in everything while Phoenix not. Also he has Phoenix has a way of melting into a roll where you forget it is Joaquin Phoenix.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
at this point, as weird a choice as I think this would be marvel has yet to disappoint even with the castings I thought would never work. personally I really dislike mark ruffalo but he makes a decent banner. if they do cast him, eh, i'll reserve judgement till I see it. so far the only role marvel has cast that bugs me is that scarlet johansen can't or won't pull a Russian accent for widow.

JdaS

Oct 16, 2009
Oooooh! That would be an AMAZING choice! I really like Phoenix. Just DO NOT let it be Cumberbatch. That toad-faced prick has been in LITERALLY everything since Sherlock. I can't, for the life of me, see what people see in the guy...

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
I'd prefer Robert Downey Junior or Rufus Sewell personally. I'm only familiar with Strange via the animated film from several years ago though.

I must have missed the part where Phoenix regained his sanity after going full on Shia LeBouf/Amanda Bynes loco awhile back. I passed on "She" but I know a few people that liked it quite a lot.

JoJoDelight

Jan 13, 2014
KoudelkaMorgan said:
I'd prefer Robert Downey Junior or Rufus Sewell personally. I'm only familiar with Strange via the animated film from several years ago though.

I must have missed the part where Phoenix regained his sanity after going full on Shia LeBouf/Amanda Bynes loco awhile back. I passed on "She" but I know a few people that liked it quite a lot.
I think you meant "Her" [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Her_(film)].

I'm not actually sure in this casting, yet I have faith in Marvel, they haven't produced a major disappointment yet.