The X-Files Might be Coming Back to TV

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
The X-Files Might be Coming Back to TV

Fox reportedly won't move forward with The X-Files until series creator Chris Carter is on board.

Remember third movie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/the%20x-files?os=the+x-files], Fox is now saying it wants to bring The X-Files back to where it belongs: the silver screen.

IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/17/the-x-files-may-return-to-television] Dana Walden and Gary Newman, co-chairmen and CEOs of FOX Television Group, who stated at at today's TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour that Fox was in early talks to get The X-Files back on TV.

"Gary and I both worked through the entire run of the X-Files," said Walden. "It was a great experience, we've maintained great relationships with creator Chris Carter, Gillian [Anderson], and David [Duchovny]. We're very hopeful. It's hard because they're actors who are very busy. Chris has a lot going on. So it's about finishing those conversations."

When asked if they would proceed without these three core members, Walden explicitly stated that they "would not move forward without Chris."

The pair did, however, state that Duchovny, Anderson, and Carter had all expressed interest, and that if the show were to return to TV, rather than being a full reboot, it would be a direct continuation of where it left off back in 2002.

So there you go. After all these years, the truth might still be out there!

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/01/17/the-x-files-may-return-to-television]

gridsleep

Sep 27, 2008
On reading this, I had to play the theme music. It would be good to have it back. Let's hope they do at least as good a job as ST:TNG did from TOS. The world has too little mystery and too much blatant terror these days. It's... tiring and disappointing. A proper world needs whimsy and spookiness. Ray Bradbury and Edgar Allen Poe taught us that. Anything less is just a corn flake box on a dull morning.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Steven Bogos said:
The pair did, however, state that Duchovny, Anderson, and Carter had all expressed interest, and that if the show were to return to TV, rather than being a full reboot, it would be a direct continuation of where it left off back in 2002.
would they include I want to believe, that was release in 2008, or they will erase it and start after the plot lines of 2002 ?

Lagslayer

Apr 18, 2011
DON'T F*** THIS UP!
DON'T F*** THIS UP!
DON'T F*** THIS UP!
DON'T F*** THIS UP!
DON'T F*** THIS UP!
DON'T F*** THIS UP!

I really really really really really really really really REALLY hope this won't suck.

Spirolli

Jun 8, 2010
I don't really see how you can 'continue' X-files. Since my memory is kind of fuzzy, and I last saw the finale about 10 years ago, I read the finale plot synopsis on Wikipedia to remember and I can only recall some bits and pieces now. But according to the plot synopsis, it seems that not much can be really advanced story-wise with Mulder and Scully.

There on the run for a murder Mulder committed, or 'supposedly' committed, and are last seen in a Motel room in Mexico. Also, the X-Files have been closed down again and the cigarette smoking man is dead, after being blown up in a cave. This just after he told them that the Earth will be 'colonized' by Aliens on December 22, 2012.

FYI, I did not see the movie 'I Want to Believe' so I don't really know how the movie solves these plotlines beyond reading the Wikipedia page. And I don't think it matters since the Wikipedia page describes it as a 'standalone' movie. Something like an extra long filler episode.

Even if they were to continue the show, a lot of what was part of it and made it work is now gone. The Cigarette-Smoking Man actor is actually dead so you can't bring him back (since he died on the show too). Further, the Cigarette-Smoking Man was the guy that pulled the strings behind the scenes and gave the show some semblance of order, purpose, and connection to the weird storylines on the show. Plus, a lot of the feelings behind the show are gone too. I think the X-files really worked off of the idea of government control and manipulation of information that was still present in the late 90s and early 2000s. Now with the ubiquity of the internet, the problem is the opposite: there is too much information available and not really a way to 'control' it. These kinds of ideas, at least to me, 'glued' the series together as a whole to make it work and didn't make it seem like a monster-of-the-week show.

I think if this 'reboot' or 'continuation' ever gets off the ground, they'll have two or three new characters that are restarting the X-files years after it has been closed and from time to time they'll investigate cases where Mulder and Scully appear to be working behind the scenes. And at a season finale or mid-season finale, Mulder walks into frame to tell them he's found something earth-shattering.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
My favorite X-files episodes were the stand alone episodes and monster of the week episodes. I never cared much for the ongoing Mythology episodes involving the aliens. I might be in the minority on that one though.

ZeroAxis

Apr 11, 2010
Spirolli said:
I don't really see how you can 'continue' X-files. Since my memory is kind of fuzzy, and I last saw the finale about 10 years ago, I read the finale plot synopsis on Wikipedia to remember and I can only recall some bits and pieces now. But according to the plot synopsis, it seems that not much can be really advanced story-wise with Mulder and Scully.

There on the run for a murder Mulder committed, or 'supposedly' committed, and are last seen in a Motel room in Mexico. Also, the X-Files have been closed down again and the cigarette smoking man is dead, after being blown up in a cave. This just after he told them that the Earth will be 'colonized' by Aliens on December 22, 2012.

FYI, I did not see the movie 'I Want to Believe' so I don't really know how the movie solves these plotlines beyond reading the Wikipedia page. And I don't think it matters since the Wikipedia page describes it as a 'standalone' movie. Something like an extra long filler episode.

Even if they were to continue the show, a lot of what was part of it and made it work is now gone. The Cigarette-Smoking Man actor is actually dead so you can't bring him back (since he died on the show too). Further, the Cigarette-Smoking Man was the guy that pulled the strings behind the scenes and gave the show some semblance of order, purpose, and connection to the weird storylines on the show. Plus, a lot of the feelings behind the show are gone too. I think the X-files really worked off of the idea of government control and manipulation of information that was still present in the late 90s and early 2000s. Now with the ubiquity of the internet, the problem is the opposite: there is too much information available and not really a way to 'control' it. These kinds of ideas, at least to me, 'glued' the series together as a whole to make it work and didn't make it seem like a monster-of-the-week show.

I think if this 'reboot' or 'continuation' ever gets off the ground, they'll have two or three new characters that are restarting the X-files years after it has been closed and from time to time they'll investigate cases where Mulder and Scully appear to be working behind the scenes. And at a season finale or mid-season finale, Mulder walks into frame to tell them he's found something earth-shattering.

There's still the story from "Fight the Future" (the movie no one seems to remember) that they can continue from, and William B. Davis is not dead (it's a hoax), his latest work was on Continuum. Trust me, there's a lot they can use in this post 2012 world. If they bring it back, I'm confident it will be done right (although I trust Netflix with it a lot more than Fox given what happened to Firefly and Fringe)

PS: "What does the Fox say?!"......CANCELLED!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
I wonder if they will continue the trend as before; A strong opening to a series, a dozen or so Monster of the Week eps interspersed with one or two story eps, finished off with a cliffhanger to the season.

I feel old.

Get off my lawn.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
I'm personally hoping that they go for a more traditional season 7 and under style of X-Files personally. It doesn't really need Mulder and Scully in the driver seat of the plot. But I would imagine they'd be operating in a more Deep Throat capacity to help the new agents proceed. Like distant mentors, due to the fact that they want the X-Files to succeed to (hopefully) hold people accountable to scrutiny, but at the same time do not wish to be dragged back into the middle of it. It rings true with how the last movie ended and it gives new ground to a new pair of investigators.

But, as mentioned before ...

"Don't fuck this up."

I don't want to see characters shoe horned in, but the feel, the themes, the beautiful play of shadow and pitch ... keep ALL of that. But there's no reason why you can't have a new pair of investigators, with new chemistry. New motivations to explore the unknown, and risk their lives for answers.

Spirolli

Jun 8, 2010
ZeroAxis said:
Spirolli said:

There's still the story from "Fight the Future" (the movie no one seems to remember) that they can continue from, and William B. Davis is not dead (it's a hoax), his latest work was on Continuum. Trust me, there's a lot they can use in this post 2012 world. If they bring it back, I'm confident it will be done right (although I trust Netflix with it a lot more than Fox given what happened to Firefly and Fringe)

PS: "What does the Fox say?!"......CANCELLED!
It's a possibility. I'll just say now I'm not a devoted fan of the show. I watched some of the show in its initial run and a lot more, but not all, in syndication. I wasn't so into the season where Robert Patrick (T-1000) took over as a mainstay and I think I only saw the last few episodes of the show out of a desire to see how the show ended. But I wouldn't mind seeing how Cris Carter updates, or retools, the show for 10 or so years later.

Also, I apologize about the William B. Davis being dead part. I was almost sure I saw an article 1 or 2 years ago that said that he had passed away. The Cigarette-smoking man must be covering his tracks.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
it better dont suck. got the entire series on dvd and still enjoy watching them. even the movies. which arent that great but watchable.
but how cna it continue from 2002 on? the last movie clearly continued from the end of the series. what happened to that?
well, i sure will be watching them. but most likely when its out on dvd. that way i dont have to bother with stupid add every 10 min which i hate so much.

KoudelkaMorgan

Jul 31, 2009
Well Fringe screwed itself up pretty hardcore. Remember the other Olivia and the baby? No? Don't worry it wasn't important.

Remember ZFT? Or pretty much most of the first 2 seasons? Not important. All you need to know is Peter came back, because reasons, the Observers invaded and somehow were defeated by a paradox that makes the ending totally ridiculous. Peter and Olivia would have never met because Peter would have died and so on. Honestly I only endured the last season due to how much I adored John Nobel's performance as Walter Bishop. He seriously brought me to tears quite a few times.

I remember the X-Files. For me it was occasionally pretty cool, but mostly incredibly boring. Keeping everything straight in your head rivaled The Knowledge at times.

Remember the Lone Gunmen spinoff? That went nowhere in a hurry.

These days Sleepy Hollow, Supernatural, Agents of Shield, Forever, Castle, Once Upon a Time, etc. are more than enough hr long dramas for me.

Although I am morbidly curious as to how this will turn out. I haven't kept track of any of the cast since the first movie which I remember seeing in a double show with There's Something About Mary so that was a loooooong time ago lol.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Frankly, there's not much that X-Files did that hasn't been done better by more recent shows. So I don't really care about the X-Files anymore. That's not to say that nothing good could come out of a revival of the series, but the show won't hook me on the reputation of its name alone. It will genuinely have to be good.

flarty

Apr 26, 2012
Lagslayer said:
DON'T F*** THIS UP!
DON'T F*** THIS UP!
DON'T F*** THIS UP!
DON'T F*** THIS UP!
DON'T F*** THIS UP!
DON'T F*** THIS UP!

I really really really really really really really really REALLY hope this won't suck.
They already did, did you see the last few seasons? There was a reason it got canned you know.

ZeroAxis

Apr 11, 2010
@Spirolli: Fully agreed, Robert Patrick was a low point in the show, I believe from which X-Files never recovered. It would have raised rating if they revealed him to really be a T-1000. That being said, I think X-files has been on the shelf long enough that Cris Carter could give it another go.

@KoudelkaMorgan: With Fox constantly cutting budget and threatening cancellation every other minute since the end of season 2, I don't blame the writers........completely....for the rushed...contrived....awfu...............okay, EVERYTHING after "Entrada" became insufferable (you are correct). They wrote themselves into a wall with ZFT and how I do not know. (When you have 2 universes to play around in, that's like crashing your car into the ONLY light pole in a huge empty parking lot) and the paradox was quite complicated and I believed I knew a solution to that years ago but it's long forgotten. Watching Fringe after the first half of season 3 was like watching your favorite sports team lose, you wonder SO HARD what could have been that only fan-fiction dillusion can get you to the end. Curse you for making me remember the "parody" that was lone gunmen.

On X-Files, I watched almost half that series stoned, so the boring politics and techno-babble weren't so boring :)

For the modern era, I do love Agents and Castle.

P.S. I tried to quote both of you and it fubar'd so hard I just did this

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
I read this headline and all I could hear in my head was Yahtzee's voice going "OH GOD NO!!!"

The X-Files was a product of its time. Season one was good, season two had a shaky start, but found its feet, then the show disappeared up its own arse. And I say this as a former fan.

The world has moved on. Leave X-Files back in the past where it belongs.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Agents of Shield: X-Files Division. They find out the 'aliens' that wanted to colonise earth were the kree. Coulson rehires them as agents of shield to track down other in-humans and check out weird shit while everyone else is busy fighting hydra.

In all seriousness, I have no idea why FOX keeps making sci-fi shows. We all know it will get cancelled after 1-2 seasons. Just save us the pain this time -_-

VonBrewskie

Apr 9, 2009
I mean, Gillian Anderson pretty much didn't say anything, so kind of said something, about a possible X-Files revival on the Nerdist podcast. It was a great episode. Y'all should get some Nerdist in your life if you haven't and like podcasts at all. Chris Hardwick and friends are pretty freakin' epic. Listen to the Gillian Anderson one. It's great, and they totally dance around the topic of a possible X-Files revival on Fox, (and talk about Duchovny looking great in jeans).