The Xbox One X Will Download 4K Patches No Matter What Kind of TV You Have

ffronw

I am a meat popsicle
Oct 24, 2013
The Xbox One X Will Download 4K Patches No Matter What Kind of TV You Have

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1415/1415850.jpgXbox One X Owners will get 4K patches, even if they don't own a 4K TV.

The Xbox One X packs in a 1 TB hard drive, and it sounds like you'll need the space, as Microsoft has confirmed that any game that has 4K support will download 4K assets, no matter what sort of TV you have. Speaking with Stevivor [http://stevivor.com/news/only-xbox-one-x-will-download-4k-assets-for-available-games/], a Microsoft rep said that each console will download the appropriate assets for its capabilities.

The rep says, "With the launch of Xbox One X, when it comes to game content our intention is to download the correct assets to the correct console. This means, regardless of the TV you are playing on, 4K assets will be downloaded to Xbox One X (if available) and the standard 1080p assets will be downloaded to an Xbox One S."

Microsoft also says that it is planning to give developers tools that will let them "make downloads more efficient," on both Xbox One S and Xbox One X. "As part our developer readiness for Xbox One X, we have made available a feature which will give them significant flexibility when it comes to what gets installed on a user's console. In addition to 4K specific assets, developers have options when it comes to language specific assets as well, which depending on the title, can drastically reduce the install footprint. This ability to intelligently install the best assets for each console and language are available on all Xbox One devices, and it will be up to the developer of the game to determine the specific implementation."

There's been no word on what the file size difference between 1080p and 4K assets, but it sounds like it could vary based on how the developer approaches its patches. Luckily, the Xbox One supports external drives, so if you run out of room, you can expand your storage that way.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
Why don't they just put in an option for how large assets they want to download?

Jacked Assassin

Nothing On TV
Jun 4, 2010
This just comes off as a reminder that Xbox 360 & PS3 should have had longer life cycles until 4K Consoles were plausible. Now anything 4K related is just a reminder that I already bought a Flat Screen for PS4. So buying a new 4K Flat Screen for Xbox One (X) would just be a waste of money right now.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Jacked Assassin said:
This just comes off as a reminder that Xbox 360 & PS3 should have had longer life cycles until 4K Consoles were plausible. Now anything 4K related is just a reminder that I already bought a Flat Screen for PS4. So buying a new 4K Flat Screen for Xbox One (X) would just be a waste of money right now.
To be honest, the Xbox One S works fine and if you don't have 4K, why buy the X.B.O.X.? Unless you absoutely need its power, you probably won't see much of a difference between the two consoles on a non-4k TV.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
4k assets are something different from having content play in 4k. A 1080p tv will still take advantage of 4k assets.
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Jacked Assassin said:
To be honest, the Xbox One S works fine and if you don't have 4K, why buy the X.B.O.X.? Unless you absoutely need its power, you probably won't see much of a difference between the two consoles on a non-4k TV.
downsampling is a thing and considering the fact that plenty of the normal xbone games dont even run 1080p just with that alone you will notice a difference, plus you may get better framerates and effects, altough that is less expected.

superline51

Nov 18, 2009
So what other news is there in things that should make perfect sense, not really sure why you're doing a story about this? The X.B.O.X. is designed for 4K, so if you don't have 4K or aren't planning on upgrading to 4K in the near future, why are you paying like $200 more for stuff you can't use?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
josemlopes said:
4k assets are something different from having content play in 4k. A 1080p tv will still take advantage of 4k assets.
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Jacked Assassin said:
downsampling is a thing and considering the fact that plenty of the normal xbone games dont even run 1080p just with that alone you will notice a difference, plus you may get better framerates and effects, altough that is less expected.
From my understanding, most older games won't see much of a performance kick as they're locked to 30fps by design, and would require an update to kick it up. That being on the publisher/developer side to patch a fix, many games just will not see much, if any, a difference for a buy to be necessary for non-4K users. That being said, my only real point is that if you're fine right now with what your current Xbox One does and don't own a 4K TV/monitor/whatever, you probably won't really get enough of a performance kick from the X to warrant a buy. Nor will, as far as I'm aware, development for non-X consoles suddenly disappear. It'll be basically like PC, where the game is developed to scale for hardware, and the level of optimization up to the pub/dev to get right.
Beyond framerates, I do have an XBOX 1 S running on a 4k TV right now, and I can't really tell that games aren't true 1080p all that much. They look comparable enough to the 1080 games I run on my PC, but with less frames per second. I mean I can tell some of the graphics settings are low compared to their PC counterparts, of course, but it doesn't look at all bad on my 4K screen, and the games that have HDR support look a bit prettier but not by too much.
Whenever I do get the X, which knowing my wife it'll happen, I'll be able to give an accurate view on whether or not its a significant enough upgrade to warrant a buy regardless of screen size.

Storm3ye

Feb 22, 2010
I can kind of understand this. Despite this console claims to be marketed towards "Hardcore Gamers with money that care about graphics" (LOL, and playing on consoles), the true market for this console is for average joe with extra disposable income and has no idea what anything is except 4K.

If these guys get XBOX (XBox One X) and run games with 900P or less textures on their 4K TV without downloading 4K assets, they would complain about the fact that the game looks worse. This would probably anger a lot of consumers and there will be a large scale returns.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
MC1980 said:
...textures & poly count has zero to fucking negative to do with rendering resolution.

what the fuck is '4K assets' even supposed to mean

this is another one of those stupid buzzwords which is meant dazzle ingrates like calling ports of 360 games "hd remasters" and shit

fair's fair, average person couldn't care less to know the insipidity of the naming of these things, but why do ostensibly enthusiast gaming media and gamers lap this shit up, instead of laughing it out of the building for being stupid? 'remaster' was the single most meaningless and asinine term to enter gaming's dictionary, and this looks to be following suit
"4K assets" is a reasonable thing though. With higher display resolutions you're also gonna need higher res textures that still look crisp, or do you still play with 64x64 textures on your 1080 screen?