The Year I Ruined Christmas

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Thanks for sharing that, I can see it came from the heart and you feel like shit about it. We've done our fair share of tantrum throwing since our youth, even though I was an overall quiet, easy going kinda guy I've said some unforgivable things and actions towards my mother. Remember, no one will forgive you like your parents do, probably not even your spouse.

Having said that, I remember having some kick-ass Christmas celebrations, like at an uncles house where he made awesome worn old pirate "treasure maps" to follow until we found our presents, and the time my mom managed to convince me that Santa visited us in a hotel room and left presents at the foot of our bed since due to overbooked flights we couldn't get home in time...

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I can't remember ever doing anything like that, but I'm pretty sure that I did at one point.

Well, at least I can hang onto the happy memory when I got Paper Mario the Thousand Year Door at my Grandmother's house.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
My father was direct with his answers. He either said Yes or No. Getting a direct No is just as hurtful. My brother and I wanted a Sega Mega Drive (called Genesis in America for some reason) for Xmas one year, he gave a direct Yes. We got the console and 3 games, and only three games (Altered Beast, Super Hang On and Columns). He told us that three is more than enough for anyone. We ended up buying games on our own (I got Streets of Rage 2 for $109AU), but he could never understand why we didn't like going outside and playing sports. I never had Xmas Day blowouts, it was always the month or so leading up to it.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
I can't recall ever acting that way. I wasn't spoiled, but I did get a few things here and there, even more expensive ones, that I asked for. I was always typically a console generation behind, but only just barely, and I was perfectly happy with it.

Although it did benefit from my parents being more direct with me. They knew I understood the concept of money and bills, so when they told me "No, we cannot afford to get you that PS2." sure I'd get quite upset, but at least they didn't leave me in the dark to conjure up my own reality where they obviously WILL get it for me.

It would just get to the point where I'd earn the money myself anyway. I bought my own PS1 when the PS2 came out since the price considerably dropped, and the same with the PS2.

As an adult with a job and most of the money I'll need for any games and consoles I want, now I don't have time to play it all anyway...