Theory on who Gman is!

SAccharing10

Jul 3, 2008
I was discussing this earlier and I think this might be something - He infact works for God, or is in association with God, in that he enlists Freeman to restore balance when he's needed, this is open to discussion! gief ideas!

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
Um...

Wonderful.

Seriously, there's a billion different theories about them, and while yours is hardly the most ridiculous of them (in fact, it seems almost too simple and too rooted in religion), it's also not exactly compelling. Or even detailed.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Even if Atheist Users may (well, probably not) not agree, i think the guy is too sinister to be "God", at least in the way that you see it.

I just think he is a guy from some ultra secret goverment organisation, given his role in Half Life 1. That would still make sense in HL2, given that, even without a real employer left, i don't think he or the people he represents are okay with the occupation by aliens.

As for his "powers"...they just about all seem to come from teleportation and the use of teleportation effects as they are seen in HL1 and 2, like the "slow time warp" thing. I'd guess his organisation stole the technologies developed by Black Mesa in the first game (and i might add, before the first game starts) and perfected them.

So much for my theory

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
Frybird said:
As for his "powers"...they just about all seem to come from teleportation and the use of teleportation effects as they are seen in HL1 and 2, like the "slow time warp" thing. I'd guess his organisation stole the technologies developed by Black Mesa in the first game (and i might add, before the first game starts) and perfected them.
I don't know about that. The fact that he's able to create portals at will nearly everywhere, and interfere in the streams of the Vortessence (that parallel universe that the Vortiguants seem to be able to inhabit/employ) suggests that he's far beyond merely human... my best bet is that he's some sort of interstellar agent or contractor, but nothing supernatural or even necessarily technological.

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
searanox said:
interfere in the streams of the Vortessence (that parallel universe that the Vortiguants seem to be able to inhabit/employ)

[...]

my best bet is that he's some sort of interstellar agent or contractor, but nothing supernatural or even necessarily technological.
Can he interfere with the Vortigaunts? It did not really looked like that for me, as he had to sit out one and a half Episode of Half Life to get in contact with Freeman again. It was only when the Vorts were "distracted" by healing Alyx that the G-Man seemed to be able to get to Freeman again...

But for the rest of the post. I'd guess your theory is as good as mine, in that it may be, or may be not, but it certainly is believable

Bocca

Jan 17, 2008
Not a good idea. It would wake up such a boom all over the world since then comes to question who's god?

searanox

Sep 22, 2008
Frybird said:
Can he interfere with the Vortigaunts? It did not really looked like that for me, as he had to sit out one and a half Episode of Half Life to get in contact with Freeman again. It was only when the Vorts were "distracted" by healing Alyx that the G-Man seemed to be able to get to Freeman again...
Yes, he can interfere, and the Vortiguants can interfere with him as well. They break you away from his control at the beginning of Episode One (which is why he isn't seen for the rest of it) and then he manages to get in past their protection of you in Episode Two while all of their attention is focused on healing Alyx, at which point he can be seen several times throughout the game afterwards in his usual fashion.

Hithel

Dec 5, 2008
If I remember correctly from some Half-Life 2: Episode 1 preview I read the G-man was described by Valve as speaking human language in his stilted manner because he was unused to it.

Along with the hints he drops along the way ("my clients") this makes the theory that he's some sort of alien contractor, in human form, the most viable one. Although your guess is as good as mine. It is obvious that his role is intentionally left vague and meant to build up to a climax for the entire series.

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
The g-man is in fact an old gordon freeman who sent himself back in time in order to tell himself not to do that botox treatment and never learn to speak, as it was better when he was the odd, but strong and silent type, instead of the later stage of plain creepy.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Gordon Freeman

I bet that at the end of the last game we'll hear Gordon speak, and it'll be with the same speech impediment.

Hithel

Dec 5, 2008
scnj:

Didn't see that one coming, nice find. I deem it unlikely and a coincidence but still a pretty cool dark horse.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Richard Groovy Pants said:
scnj said:
Gordon Freeman

I bet that at the end of the last game we'll hear Gordon speak, and it'll be with the same speech impediment.
Government man.

There's tons of theories really the one that seems most plausible for me is that Gman is some kind of alien contractor (he's an alien himself as well) that works for different people interested in the faith of 'Earth'.
Maybe. It's possible that not even the people at Valve know yet.

Good morning blues

Sep 24, 2008
scnj said:
Maybe. It's possible that not even the people at Valve know yet.
Actually, the entire plot of the Half-Life series is already written - it's the specific details and shorter sub-plots that are written on the go. For instance, the Borealis was originally going to be a part of Half-Life 2; they eventually realized that they'd have to cut it, and put it into the Episodes.

As for the G-man, I don't for a second believe that he is Gordon from the future; first, that seems like a really crummy twist to me, and second, the name "G-man" comes from the name of his model in the Half-Life SDK - as HL2: Raising the Bar points out, it's just a code name. The phrase "G-man" predates Half-Life by decades; I think it's pretty clear that it doesn't refer to "Gordon."

Similarly, I don't think he's God, because if he was, he could do whatever it is he has Gordon doing on his own, and even more than that, there's nothing in the Half-Life mythology includes any supernatural or religious elements; it's pure science fiction. Valve is too good at storyline to toss in deus ex machina at the very end to explain the G-man.

The thing is, there aren't a lot of hints about him. If I were to set out a theory, I'd say he's an alien, and that's why he talks so strangely. Who these aliens are, I have no idea, but I think it's pretty clear that they're not down with the Combine. I'm just not sure whether or not they're down with humans.