Therapeutic game mechanics

ImProvGamr

Feb 2, 2012
Lately I've been playing Final Fantasy XIII-2 and, while I've been enjoying it overall, Mog's voice and character just really annoys me, no matter how useful he/she/it might be. However, I find this to be counterbalanced by the fact that it is an actual part of the game where I can grab the little bastard by the neck and throw it as far as I possibly can, listening to it screaming in terror all the while. I sometimes take breaks just to do it for fun.

Doing that reminded me of another game with a similarly therapeutic mechanic, Radiata Stories. one of the funnest things about that game was that 'X' was the literal 'Kick' command button, and I could run around kicking doors, trashcans, rocks, and people to my hearts content. Not only that, but the game encouraged that kind of behavior, so I spent a lot of time just running around town kicking people in the shins until they decided to fight me. And I would be able to kick them in the shins some more after I kicked their ass.

So, what other games have mechanics that you found to be similarly therapeutic or unexpectedly fun.

Note: Wantonly slaughtering NPCs in sandbox games doesn't count; we already know that's fun, and it all comes from the nature of the sandbox, not some particular game's design.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Okami has the bark button... It doesn't really have a function, but it sounds cool.

And just watching Amaterasu run is oddly therapeutic, must be something to do with the awesome flower trail.

And it's fun to just go. "Hmm, yes that does sound like a proble- NOPE! GODDESS OF THE SUN!"

Oh and The World Ends With You has the "mind reading" mechanic. You can just stop to read every person's mind whenever you feel like it. It's pretty damn awesome.