There Are More Expletives In Teen Novels Than Games

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
There Are More Expletives In Teen Novels Than Games

Kids cussing? It might be down to books rather than games according to a recent study.

The study comes from Sarah Coyne, a social science researcher at Brigham Young University, which is owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The study doesn't exactly say anything positive about gaming, but it does seem to be giving the medium a fair shake against its older, more established peers. Like books, for example.

"Unlike almost every other type of media, there are no content warnings or any indication if there is extremely high levels of profanity in adolescent novels," said Coyne.

And there are extremely high levels of profanity in adolescent novels, apparently. Coyne researched some 40 recent teen novels; 35 of which contained expletives. That gives teen literature a solid 88% on the filth-o-meter, compared to gaming's relatively saintly 34%. I think we're ahead in terms of straight-up body count, however.

Coyne also discovered that characters who use expletives are consistently portrayed as wealthier, more attractive and more popular than their non-swearing counterparts.

It is a touch amusing that most parents seem so glad to see their kids reading anything (or indeed, doing anything that doesn't involve hypodermic syringes) that they'll completely ignore what their children are reading. More insidious, however, is the double standard applied to other mediums. I probably don't need to remind you that one of the most popular teen novels of the past few years features a motley crew of teenagers murdering each other for the enjoyment of a baying, bloodthirsty crowd. How would the public respond to a videogame about the same subject?

Source: Brigham Young University [http://news.byu.edu/archive12-may-novels.aspx]

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
Oh, no, can't have kids reading anything with challenging themes or engaging subject matter. They might even start to enjoy reading. One day it's young adult novels, then they move on to the harder stuff, and before you know it they're reading Homer and Kafka.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
Man, I wish my parents were glad I'm reading. They tell me the nonfiction history books I read are a waste of time, much less the sci-fi stuff I like to waste time on.

Of course, they don't approve of my gaming either, so *shrugs*

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Eh either way if a kid can't handle a bit of foul language in literature or games by the time they're a teen, then they won't last long when their future bosses cuss them out

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
"Filth-o-meter"? Is there an image or at least a graph for this so called "meter", or is just is it just "whatever the hell we feel like at the time"?

Also, Twilight and The Hunger Games compared to Mass Effect and Gears of War.

dyre

Mar 30, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
Grey Carter said:
DVS BSTrD said:
Unless there's a multiplayer aspect of course
Hah, very nice.

Going by the study's logic, that means every XBLA user is a likable, billionaire sex god.
And just what is the percentage of video games that are even aimed at a teen or above audience anyway?
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2011/03/gamesrbpiechart530.jpg
Less than I thought.

Captcha:have an inkling
Glad to see you agree.
It could be that some T or M games sell a lot more than your average E game though.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
You would think that more filth in books would make young people want read more, bit if it doesn't then these should

MrStab

Mar 24, 2011
I remember when I first really got in to reading about 6-7 years ago (I'm only 18 so) my mum thought it was great although it didn't take long for her to take the complete opposite opinion and encourage me to read less and go out more.

Also what counts as a "Teen" rating when it comes to books? I've read a lot of things that I would assume are on the adult side of classification but the only books I've seen that have a clear rating on them are the erotic literature books they sell that you have to be of age to buy.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Heheh, I remember doing a reading assignment in school when I was there (Christ...that's six years ago all ready!). Everyone else chose short, simple books from the library, whereas I went out and bought a copy of American Psycho.

TheWonko

Oct 26, 2009
Kahunaburger said:
Oh, no, can't have kids reading anything with challenging themes or engaging subject matter. They might even start to enjoy reading. One day it's young adult novels, then they move on to the harder stuff, and before you know it they're reading Homer and Kafka.
We can't have them reading those filthy books! Chaucer! Rabelais! BALZAC!

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Maybe it's about time that parents took responsibility rather than looking for a scapegoat.
Anyway, kids are going to come across swear words, it?s up to the parents to teach them when and indeed if it?s appropriate to use them.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Heavily aware of this, genuinely amused that the public does not, also aware that video games are the scapegoat for behavioral problems of our era.

JUST LIKE BOOKS/RADIO/TV before them. And there's more expletives in movies and tv also.

I think Games on the whole are a medium with far more positives to offer. The only time rude language really comes into it a majority of the time is in online play with ...y'know... real people.

Sis

Apr 2, 2012
"How would the public respond to a videogame about the same subject?"

I wanna find out

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
Grey Carter said:
owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Aaannnddd I'm done. I don't trust a group of people who blindly worship in a faith they can offer no evidence for to perform valid science.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
good thing they didn't go to XBL!
. I probably don't need to remind you that one of the most popular teen novels of the past few years features a motley crew of teenagers murdering each other for the enjoyment of a baying, bloodthirsty crowd. How would the public respond to a videogame about the same subject?
I would really like to see how Fox responds to a Battle Royalle game.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I think books usually have more dialogue than games period. Don't know about swearing. I read Naked Lunch when i was 15, i'm pretty desentisized.