Theres a word for that!?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Did you know there is a specific word for throwing someone out of a window? Its called Defenestration. I certainly did not know of it, but its an act that's caused wars ya know.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defenestration

So, anyone else have any words for things that you did not expect to have specific words for? Please share them.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Jentacular

Relating to Breakfast eaten in the early morning or immediately after getting up.

And it sounds like a term to describe something that wasn't spectacular, but was better than stupendous.

Saelune said:
And yes I did know about that word, if only because back in my Gamma World days I had a crazy hobbo with super amazing oratory skills, and I was able to convince a fire-badgar to defenestrate itself by rolling a 20 on a speech check with a +8 modifier.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Saelune said:
Defenestration.
I first learned about this word in college when, during a writing course, someone had actually titled their short story "Defenestrations, Or Go Look It Up". Funny stuff right there.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
The most classic one's got to be "aglets." For those of you who don't know, its what you call the little hard plastic-feeling ends of your shoelaces.

Ytomyth

Nov 13, 2011
"Petrichor", or the smell when rain hits dry soil.

Been smelling (and enjoying) it my whole life without knowing it actually had a name.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
I'll get the obvious one out of the way: Shadenfreude, feeling joy at the expense of someone else's misfortune.

Shiver Me Tits

Jul 20, 2016
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
I'll get the obvious one out of the way: Shadenfreude, feeling joy at the expense of someone else's misfortune.
Along similar Germanic lines: Backpfeifengesicht, in the words of Stephen Fry, "A face crying out for a punch in it."

And in a similar vein to Defenestration, you have all of the other terrifying "ions". Exsanguination of course, is the removal of all of your blood, and we all know about Castration, but how about Excoriation, the removal of the skin by means of chafing?

Language is fun.

AXimilao_Elotus

Aug 13, 2016
I hope I'm not straying too far from the topic, but it's the first thing that jumped out at me after reading the opening post. I guess it fits considering I didn't know such a place existed, nor did I even dare attempt pronouncing such a beast of a word upon discovery.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
AXimilao_Elodus said:
I hope I'm not straying too far from the topic, but it's the first thing that jumped out at me after reading the opening post. I guess it fits considering I didn't know such a place existed, nor did I even dare attempt pronouncing such a beast of a word upon discovery.

I allow it. Plus I have a nasty habit of going off topic myself, so I cant criticize.

Apparently the name is intended to be long for the sake of being long.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Queen Michael said:
The most classic one's got to be "aglets." For those of you who don't know, its what you call the little hard plastic-feeling ends of your shoelaces.
Their true purpose is sinister.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
It's funny, "Defenestration" was literally the word that came to mind the second I read the thread title. XD

I first heard the word in high school, and it tickled me pink that such a specific method of killing would have a word, especially since it wasn't even an execution method.

kris40k

Feb 12, 2015
In December 1840, Abraham Lincoln and four other Illinois legislators jumped out of a window in a political maneuver designed to prevent a quorum on a vote that would have eliminated the Illinois State Bank.
Man, we missed all the cool shit that legislators did in the past.

Anyways...

[image width =310 height=200]https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5MCgXejZGI4/V2qQnv1PK9I/AAAAAAAABJM/RSzSB26V5R0mdE7RW6JSdYH8I4b1akaewCLcB/s640/Game-of-Thrones-1453327000.gif[/IMG]

AXimilao_Elotus

Aug 13, 2016
Saelune said:
AXimilao_Elodus said:

I allow it. Plus I have a nasty habit of going off topic myself, so I cant criticize.

Apparently the name is intended to be long for the sake of being long.
Hmm...interesting that there isn't some kind of history or origin behind such an obnoxiously long word.

But I feel really bad for all of the locals when they have to file applications.

Recusant

Nov 4, 2014
All you people never wondered what the Defenestration of Prague was about? That's a rather alarming level of incuriousity. My contribution is septemfluous, a wonderful word for when you need to insult someone without insulting them. It means "flowing in seven directions (or streams)". Unless you hang out with geologists or Scrabble nerds, no one's likely to know it, and if you're decrying someone as having an overly cautious or vacillating nature, it can be an actual insult. But even when it's not, it definitely sounds like one. One of those words to roll around on your tongue for a while.

Oh, and another handy one, that comes with a free bonus story: lapidation, which means "stoning", from lapid, or lapis (as in lazuli), which means "stone". Before I had my gall bladder taken out, my doctor talked to me about various procedures, one of which he referred to as "cholecystic elapidation", to which I immediately responded "No!", which rather surprised him. I pointed out that he probably meant "delapidation", but that elapidation would refer to the front-fanged snakes. Delapidation would be removing stones; elapidation would be adding cobras, which would not help the situation.

Shiver Me Tits said:
Along similar Germanic lines: Backpfeifengesicht, in the words of Stephen Fry, "A face crying out for a punch in it."
Now I'm not familiar with Stephen Fry, so maybe there's a piece of context I'm missing, and my German is any case quite rudimentary, but wouldn't that be a face in need a slap, rather than a punch?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Slightly off-topic but too many people get this wrong. Envy is wanting what someone else has whereas Jealousy is fearing something that you already have being taken from you.

P.S. Is there a word for when someone is using humor or satire to maliciously insult and/or attack someone while preserving the benefit of the doubt that they are merely joking around if called out for it?

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
What's that new word for the act of carrying out internet rage on someone in the real world? I swear I heard it before, but I can't find it anywhere.

Oh, a contribution.

Tnetennba: One who looks up words which have been artificially created for the purpose of fiction or comedy.

Example sentence: Good morning, that's a nice tnetennba.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
You've probably heard of a euphemism: an expression used in place of something more offensive.

But you probably haven't heard of a disphemism: an expression used in place of saying something less offensive.

Basically, Donald Trump is a master of disphemism.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
My?t?h?pe?, Finnish for being embarrassed for someone else. More accurately, Fremdsch?men in German.

For years I had wondered how to describe what I felt as a child watching comedies where the protagonist regularly fucks up.

EDIT: Huh, I guess the Escapist didnt know My?t?h?pe? either. A link then: http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/207397/what-word-means-the-feeling-of-discomfort-caused-by-watching-peoples-ineptitud

GrumbleGrump

Oct 14, 2014
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
[...] but how about Excoriation, the removal of the skin by means of chafing?
Oddly specific.

I've been really into a French expression lately, called "l'sprit de l'scalier" ("stairway wit"). It means coming up with an amazing response to something well after the conversation' been had. I sure wish this was known more, so I can describe my life with it.

Bob_McMillan said:
My?t?h?pe?, Finnish for being embarrassed for someone else. More accurately, Fremdsch?men in German.

For years I had wondered how to describe what I felt as a child watching comedies where the protagonist regularly fucks up.

EDIT: Huh, I guess the Escapist didnt know My?t?h?pe? either. A link then: http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/207397/what-word-means-the-feeling-of-discomfort-caused-by-watching-peoples-ineptitud
Isn't that something you would call cringeworhty, though? Nevertheless, in spanish we have a short phrase to describe that: "Verg?enza ajena" ("fellow man's/other's shame").