newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
newwiseman said:
Kopikatsu said:
Dastardly said:
Grey Carter said:
There's More to Skyrim Than Skyrim
The more I find about this game, the more I want it to have multiplayer so bad my teeth hurt.
How would multiplayer work? Just have a persistent world where everyone is just kind of running around doing their own thing? 'Cause that would do horrible things for immersion.

Every dungeon in the entire world has been sacked. PvP runs rampant. Every city would lie in ruins.
You'd make all the interiors and dungeons instanced for your party, and reset monthly, keep the towns and world open for PvP.
PvP can never happen. I mean, technically it can, but it shouldn't. It's so horrifically easy to break the combat system that you'd just have a ton of people running around, one shotting everyone else. Not to mention the 3-4 time slowing skills would have to slow the time for everyone playing at the same time in order to work properly...
SO you toss the time slowing skills as BS (and new in skyrim) and actually balance out all the equipment and enchantments, potentially countering weapon enchants with armor enchants or magic buffs + potions.

It's something Bethesda has never had to do before, and something they would have to do anyway for a Fallout MMO.

Stealth would probably work like invisibility (not chameleon) where your first action makes you visible and sneak bonuses are balanced by difficulty of actually getting close to someone while they swing at nothing or cast AOE spells and Archery is perfect already since it's difficult enough to hit someone running anything but straight at you. Of course all of that would depend heavily on the style of PvP enabled. (open world free for all vs 1on1 challenges that have to be excepted)

With enough effort they could make a solid PvP experiance with real advantages and disadvantages to every play style. Not much meaning to it when everyone plays as a heavy armored tank, whacking at eachother until they run out of potions.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
It's there to look at stuff. Why'd they put in the White-Gold Tower? Why the fuck not?
Nothing's gonna happen with them I think.

HoradricNoob

Jan 31, 2010
I want Elsweyr- jungle and desert combat would be nice. That and droves of feral cat people to put down.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
I really hope this means there will be a Return to Cyrodiil dlc in the future, I really want to see what has changed between the Oblivion Crisis and the Great War. A return to Morrowind would also be nice. Oh and Shivering Isles 2... Please Bethesda?

EDIT:
Denamic said:
Dastardly said:
Grey Carter said:
The more I find about this game, the more I want it to have multiplayer so bad my teeth hurt.
Multiplayer needs to stay the fuck away from TES games.
They are single player games and needs to remain single player.
What he said, I would not say no to an Elder Scrolls MMO in future, but the way the game is made now it would not translate well to multiplayer... At all.

Eccentric_Jon

Jun 20, 2010
Amnestic said:
It's certainly going to help with the inevitable SkyriMorrOblivion crossover mod. Pretty cool that it's included. Something for noclipsplorers to seek out.
You forgot Daggerfall, the best of the bunch

dead.juice

Jul 1, 2011
Mimsofthedawg said:
Dastardly said:
Grey Carter said:
... why?

Most TES fans, myself included, are MILITANTLY against it. So much so there have been legitimate threats of developer-cide (the organized, malicious killing of developers) should they add it.

And to be frank, I don't see a use for it. I REALLY don't. Why does everything need a multiplayer aspect to it? What does TES gain from having annoying people ruining the immersion I have in this world?

Now certain aspects of co-op I think would be cool - or a system similar to Dark/Demon Souls. Perhaps you are referring to this. But if you're inquiring an MMO type of system, I will let go of my initial reaction to ridicule you and ATTEMPT to hear you out even though I think it's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard of.
When people in general talk about multiplayer in Skyrim, they always mean co-op. No one wants it to be an MMO, they know better than that. People would be happy to just have that bullshit co-op from Fable 2, they want to bring their friends into TES world with them, not PVP enviroments.
I'd say that due to the popularity of TES, that they'd eventually make an MMO, but Bethesda and friends already tried to make a Fallout MMO, and that has been shitcanned

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
We need to get some modders to work on importing the rest of the required data from the previous games and opening up all of Cyrodil and Morrowind!

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
dead.juice said:
I'd say that due to the popularity of TES, that they'd eventually make an MMO, but Bethesda and friends already tried to make a Fallout MMO, and that has been shitcanned
It has? The Fallout Wiki [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_MMO] says that it's got a 2012 release date but that the legal state of the game is unknown. 'Shitcanned' implies the plan was scrapped, which doesn't appear to be the case.

So...source?

pppppppppppppppppp

Jun 23, 2011
Dastardly said:
Grey Carter said:
[HEADING=1]NO! BAD GAMER![/HEADING] Seriously, not to be an unreasonable fanboy afraid of change, but Elder Scrolls is not a multiplayer series. If you want multiplayer go to Mass Effect 3, Dead Space 2, or every other game that thinks they need to shoehorn it in to be appealing. Seriously, can a developer not make a strickly single player game anymore?

dead.juice

Jul 1, 2011
Amnestic said:
dead.juice said:
It has? The Fallout Wiki [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_MMO] says that it's got a 2012 release date but that the legal state of the game is unknown. 'Shitcanned' implies the plan was scrapped, which doesn't appear to be the case.

So...source?
My "source" is "the-last-I-heard-of-it".
And thanks, human dictionary, I guess "shitcanned" does imply that. Fine, I'll change it to "when it gets shitcanned".

Loki J

Nov 12, 2009
Kyle 2175 said:
Wasn't Morrowind destroyed after the Oblivion Crisis?
Not really destroyed, but rendered pretty barren by the Red Mountain erupting.
Dunmer who weren't killed fled to other places (like Solstheim).

Z

Thee Lost One

May 26, 2010
Multiplayer for a TES game, namely Skyrim, would work quite well, if it's the sort where one can join a game only by invite, or get into a game only by the hosts permission. A pair of friends being able to tackle a dungeon together, and share an experience like that is truly something that would only benefit the TES series honestly.

It's when you start thinking of something like, Drop in/Drop out play, and groups of 3 or more that it starts to pose a real problem, and look scary bad. To be honest, I cannot envision any sort of TES game with Multiplayer being any good with more than five players per realm.

Then again, the sheer level of variety that's available to the players would certainly make for interesting PVP. Most likely not FUN PVP, but interesting.

A Mage may think a Warrior type easy prey until it's shown the warrior wields the spell breaker shiled and is fully specked into Block, Likewise, the ever so flaunted Sneaky Archer may be able to get the drop on said warrior, and from quite a distance, but if that same archer hasn't invested in his own health? That Damage reflect chance a fully specced Heavy armor user has could nearly cripple the Sneaky sniper with it's own attack.

There are a large number of changes that would be needed before any sort of PVP could be done obviously, as x30 damage with dagger sneak attack is a bit much for even the most absurdly stat broken warrior type to survive xD

littlealicewhite

Jul 18, 2010
Rensenhito said:
Wait a second. Follow my reasoning here.
Martin Septim was technically descended from a Dovahkiin (Tiber Septim). Therefore, the Dragonborn are the rightful rulers of the Empire. So maybe the DLC will include the Imperial City. Hell, maybe you get to become Emperor. Lead a coup or something.
I don't know about you guys, but I'd love to see what Cyrodiil looks like.
There is a flaw in your reasoning: being Dragonborn is not hereditary. The Septim line was so diluted by Martin's day that I doubt he was an actual descendant of Tiber. Akatosh made the reigning emperors Dragonborn to keep the Dragonfires lit. It had nothing to do with heritage.