There's Nothing Good About Toxic Players

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
What we really need is more games that tell someone when they've been ignored and by who.

Get a message someone couldn't handle what you're dishing out? Pussy!

Get a slew of messages that everyone else in your match is following suit? Suddenly that paints a different picture...

Aitamen

Dec 6, 2011
See, this is one of the reasons I miss running my own games, and running my own networks, in online games (and why I left the FPS scene despite playing competitively in Q2). I grew up in MUDs, where it was not language that was barred (because that's usually irrelevant), but actions and mentality, and instead of banning people outright we had room to help them become actual gamers. I saw a lot of trolls become solid gamers.

When I was running in EQ and UO, I found a lot of people interested in running properly, and learning the histories of gaming, and their legacy... today, I find people who swear to love Mass Effect and have no idea what Starflight is.

That's a price we pay as a community for being more inclusive, and the people who *make* the games don't give a shit, because more assholes means more money, and they bring their shit friends in. Social marketing is the current style, and that'd be hard to change...

In reference to one of the above, I tend to think of "toxic" players as the "fagbasher" stereotype, which are still rather common and are extremely obnoxious. Proper entertaining trolls would be fine, but now "trolling" has a completely different meaning, and generally lacks any sort of wit.

Granted, there were still assholes in yesteryear, but they were fewer in number when you had to be able to type competently as a barrier for entry <__<

Dyspayr

Mar 30, 2011
Therumancer said:
When it comes to player harassment that goes beyond the above, typically that has little to do with the players and is the result of bad game design. Basically if you have a group of people genuinely "griefing" other players in ways that can interfere with their gameplay (ie not just chatter that can be ignored) that's because the game itself is broken. The Devs then have to decide to fix the problem ASAP, or if they can't, whether to let it go or start actually policing the behavior. Basically if you create an MMO with open PVP for example, one shouldn't get all upset if you have a group of players who do nothing but sit around and prevent other players from doing quests and such and trying to lock them into specific areas/corner them at spawn points/etc... because that is exactly what the game environment that was created encourages. The Devs can't hand that off on the players and claim they are ruining their game or anything of the sort, it's up to the Devs to correct that. If people leave the game, it's going to be because of the design, not the players doing the griefing per se since they were simply a symptom of the problem.
Overall a good post, but I think this is putting the responsibility for bad behavior were it doesn't belong. To Borrow Shamus' drunk driving example, we could practically eliminate it by enforcing all cars have a breathalyzer/retinal scanner coded to the owner of the car positioned in such a way that it is impossible for two people to activate it at the same time. Of course this would add extra cost to the price of the car and restrict the ability to have additional drivers.

No mater how hard you try and make something idiot proof, someone out there will surprise you and all you end up doing is adding frustrations for the (silent) majority of normal people. At some point you have to accept that prevention can only go so far and then you have to trust people to act responsibly and punish those that can't.

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
I want to see one company, just one, have an official policy against anticivil behavior in their games and actually have the infrastructure in place to enforce it. Some talk a big game about wanting to police player behavior but either wind up having nothing to show for it a year later (Valve, with DOTA 2) or wind up creating a system that's used by the trolls to kick everyone else out (Valve again, with CS:GO). As time goes on, I'm more convinced that it simply can't be done, and if that's the case, then maybe we'd be better off just hanging it up and going back to games you can only play with friends.

Therumancer said:
The problem is simply what's defined as being "toxic" behavior, after all it tends to be highly subjective. In many cases it seems to me that you have a lot of easily offended politically correct types trying to enforce their personal morality on everyone else, and declaring things they don't like "toxic" or in some way wrong.
After three drafts, I concluded that there was no way I was going to be able to respond to this in a non-accusatory way, so let me just make it clear that I do not have much patience for people who use the phrase "political correctness" unironically, and that, as far as I'm concerned, most if not all of the people you described in the WOW chat room sound like the sorts of people I'd be just as eager to kick out of my game as the all-out trolls that Shamus was talking about. If someone's idea of "fun" involves making jokes at the expense of minority groups, then they probably don't deserve to have fun of any sort, let alone the kind they prefer.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Steve the Pocket said:
I want to see one company, just one, have an official policy against anticivil behavior in their games and actually have the infrastructure in place to enforce it. Some talk a big game about wanting to police player behavior but either wind up having nothing to show for it a year later (Valve, with DOTA 2) or wind up creating a system that's used by the trolls to kick everyone else out (Valve again, with CS:GO). As time goes on, I'm more convinced that it simply can't be done, and if that's the case, then maybe we'd be better off just hanging it up and going back to games you can only play with friends.

Therumancer said:
The problem is simply what's defined as being "toxic" behavior, after all it tends to be highly subjective. In many cases it seems to me that you have a lot of easily offended politically correct types trying to enforce their personal morality on everyone else, and declaring things they don't like "toxic" or in some way wrong.
After three drafts, I concluded that there was no way I was going to be able to respond to this in a non-accusatory way, so let me just make it clear that I do not have much patience for people who use the phrase "political correctness" unironically, and that, as far as I'm concerned, most if not all of the people you described in the WOW chat room sound like the sorts of people I'd be just as eager to kick out of my game as the all-out trolls that Shamus was talking about. If someone's idea of "fun" involves making jokes at the expense of minority groups, then they probably don't deserve to have fun of any sort, let alone the kind they prefer.
Well you could always just say you don't have a problem with political correctness or the tenets it represents. Whether you like it or not there is nothing "ironic" about those trends and the effect they have on modern politics and discussion. As much as many people hate the label, it's a term that comes up even in classes on sociology and ethics.

To put things into classroom context (though understand it's been almost two decades since I was in school) the tenets of political correctness is that anything negative directed at a large group of people must be a lie, or treated as one, and acting against or criticizing a group of people for trends is inherently wrong. Of course sociology as a science is all about identifying trends among large groups of people, and of course finding ways to manipulate and exploit them for your own purposes. It also gets into points like how dealing with a person on an individual basis is far different than dealing with groups on a societal level, as well as looking at how dynamics changes based on the makeup. A point used in old movies like "Men In Black" when they pointed out "A person is fine, but people aren't" when talking about why they needed to keep the aliens concealed. The same basic logic can be used when dealing with cultures and the problems on a large scale.

In ethics (which is an examination of different ethical systems, as opposed to telling you what is right and what's wrong) there should be a whole section dedicated to the pros and cons of political correctness. The basic idea being that every problem needs to be addressed on an individual level, divorced from overall context, and that social policies should of course totally ignore sociology and it's predictions. This of course gets into questions like how one can also argue a moral responsibility to engineer things for the best using sociological data, and to resolve individual cases in a way likely to have the best large scale success.

In a practical context, which is an example so I'm not going to argue, look at say "The Middle East" and the whole set of issues about profiling and acting based on cultural and sociological realities as opposed to creating an environment where every individual can be an exception so nothing can be done on a large scale. Along with the point that when you do not act on a large scale you allow a culture and attitudes to proliferate, along with the problems, refusing to act on a large scale arguably makes those in a position to act who choose not to do so in part responsible for the actions that come about from a culture allowed to operate unchecked. This can range from making arguments that the west shares responsibility for the plight of women in Muslim nations for refusing to act against the culture, to situations where you deal with Muslims coming into countries in large numbers and cause all kinds of problems in terms of anti-societal behavior, violence, threats of terrorism, and other things... problems which generally can't be resolved by going after one person at a time. Indeed isolating a Muslim from the pack might find him quite reasonables as a person, but put him together with dozens or hundreds of people like him and leave them to their own devices without any controls... and well, the results typically aren't pretty. If you don't like me using Muslims, this argument can be made about a lot of groups... and of course it can also be argued from a number of perspectives. A Muslim could argue the same way about western culture and how we say damn all our women to hell by refusing to keep them in line, and point out that they can usually get some sympathy from individual Americans, but address the issue of Sharia and Muslim rule on a large scale, and they hit a stone wall.

The point of this rant (in a long message) is that many, many, people will use the term "political correctness" without irony and oppose it for a large number of reasons. It shouldn't surprise you at all, even if you strongly disagree with the other side of the equasion... this kind of thing is a major issue because there are strong arguments on both sides of the fence, and one can make strong ethical arguments both for and against the point of view and policies that go with it. The fact that you seemingly can't see, or respect, the other side, and don't seem to understand it, is not uncommon and is pretty much why the US remains so heavily deadlocked politically. The middle ground we need is somewhere between the two extremes, which are pretty much society having to deal with everything individually, and society being able to deal with problems on a sociological level. In actual issues it tends to come down to the rights of a human, as opposed to the needs of humanity... so to speak. Nobody wants to see the middle ground on pretty much any issue, especially those favoring political correctness who are against any kind of group regulation in any context.

THAT said, it goes well beyond the whole point of what I'm talking about. As a general rule in your typical zone chat you generally don't see anything more "anti-minority" than comedy movies. As a general rule, groups of people do laugh at themselves and with say Blacks you see this in Tyler Perry movies, Eddie Murphy movies, Wayans Brothers movies and tons of others. With jews you've had things like "The Harlem Hammer" and "You Don't Mess With The Zohan", and you see this with pretty much every group out there.

A typical situation might have some troll who might not even be Canadian, coming into a zone chat and commenting about all the toxic rain which obviously comes from America. To which a partner might respond "really, I thought it was run off from all the unwashed Frenchmen north of the US border" followed by comments on whether Quebec really counts as Canada or not, and then someone saying "Hey, leave Canada alone, it's one of the nicer states... and we love our hat", followed by someone saying Canada isn't a hat, but is riding on the big dumb beast that is the USA... etc... and it goes on and on in this vein and everyone is getting a chuckle... then someone comes in, assumes some of the comments are serious, and gets all offended. In such a case the guy getting offended is the problem (and he has an ignore feature) not everyone else who is just having fun.

Context of course matters, the point here being that you rarely, if ever, see any kind of serious racial, or socio-political statements in MMO chat. If people start to get too serious, usually ice spreads across the chat and things take care of themselves that way.

Basically if someone in zone chat goes "Q: What's the difference between a truck load of babies and a truck load of bowling balls? A: You can't use a pitchfork on the bowling balls" and you get 30 people going "lulz" in chat and your getting all upset because "how dare someone make disgusting jokes about hurting babies", your the problem, and if you start making complaints and otherwise ranting in chat about it, being a general Mr. Buzzkillington when everyone wants some distraction from their grind, you just became the actual troll/problem.

The key point is context matters, and it's also why I mentioned the whole "Five minute rule" thing, basically you can't get context if you just run into an MMO zone and hear two lines of an ongoing dialogue or don't like one joke. You know someone who says "You know the real reason the Germans invented the autobahn right? It was the keep up with the French retreat..." likely isn't a Nazi sympathizer or seriously anti-French.

Blackbird71

May 22, 2009
Sir Thomas Sean Connery said:
[quote/]
It presents cruelty and ugliness as if they were something we need.
[quote/]
What's happening here is that people are confusing "unavoidable" with "indispensable".
[/quote]
This is false. When we accept that something cannot be eradicated and maybe look for a silver lining, that isn't the same as saying we need it or want it.
[/quote]

Clearly, you have never played EVE Online. There are quite a few members of that community who frequently argue that such toxic behavior is a necessary part of the game, and many of the worst perpetrators are lauded for their actions.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
That Kasparov/Fisher analogy was pretty spot on. Gary Kasparov is an all round good guy, not just because he's polite, a gentleman, and all that, but because he's used his fame to bring light to many of the issues in Putin's Russia (Which has put him in considerable danger on at least one occassion). He's a personal hero of mine, and games could do with a lot more Kasparovs than Fishers.

I think that the first step that most MP games need to implement is at the very least selective muting, of voice channels, or text channels. These things are pretty basic tools, and it's disappointing how many games lack it. Usually it's at best remove all chat, or mics, which is a handicap to the players playing the way they should be encouraged to. Second, some of the most vile language should be blocked. It won't stop people from being terrible, but at least then playing Battlefield 4 won't just be a stream of "******, ******, sandnigger, ******, whore". That adds nothing to the game, but it does do a pretty good job of painting most gamers, and the gaming demographic, as sexually frustrated, immature, white, boys and manchildren. I've never seen a game with such a prominent problem of toxicity, although I haven't delved into MOBAs. The best you get is private servers banning the "C-bomb". Which is ludicrous when you consider the language that gets used instead (Infamous among the Australian Day of Defeat Source servers was the WAD clan, and their admin "Oldfart", who ruled the server with an iron fist, kicking and banning madly, with an insane hatred of the word, who filled the alltalk channel with curses, man had a talent with the word fuck, and borderline racial slurs. Moment someone dropped the "C-bomb", permaban).

It's not as good as policing the community, which definitely needs to be done, but we need the tools to at least be able to play the games without those players ruining it.

Majinash

May 27, 2014
Blackbird71 said:
[quote/]
[quote/]
What's happening here is that people are confusing "unavoidable" with "indispensable".
This is false. When we accept that something cannot be eradicated and maybe look for a silver lining, that isn't the same as saying we need it or want it.
[/quote]

Clearly, you have never played EVE Online. There are quite a few members of that community who frequently argue that such toxic behavior is a necessary part of the game, and many of the worst perpetrators are lauded for their actions.[/quote]

I think EVE is a terrible example of what you are talking about. In EVE, players are the content. You don't complain that the NPCs are toxic when you aggro 10 of them and die, and in the same way you shouldn't view EVE players as toxic if they try to kill you. EVE isn't based only around combat, so when players attempt to cheat you out of your money, that is content too.

Toxic behavior in EVE is NOT encouraged. The recent incident of vandalism of the EVE sculpture was a great example of how CCP and the EVE community do not encourage behavior like that. Everyone likes to talk about the member of the council who "encouraged" someone to kill himself as an example of pro-toxic behavior, but that player later apoligized and was removed from the council. Even if that punishment isn't as much as YOU would like, it is punishment for "toxic" behavior, which means people don't think it is a necessary part of the game.

If you havn't played EVE much, you might believe other people when they say "EVE players say toxic behavior is necessary", but it is simply mis-labeling toxic behavior. EVE players do say that their (nearly) FFA PvP is necessary, and that the freedom to scam/be scammed is necessary because that is where the large scope of content for the game comes from. If anyone says that racial slurs are necessary in the game, they are the vocal minority.

Blackbird71

May 22, 2009
Majinash said:
Blackbird71 said:
[quote/]
[quote/]
Clearly, you have never played EVE Online. There are quite a few members of that community who frequently argue that such toxic behavior is a necessary part of the game, and many of the worst perpetrators are lauded for their actions.[/quote]

I think EVE is a terrible example of what you are talking about. In EVE, players are the content. You don't complain that the NPCs are toxic when you aggro 10 of them and die, and in the same way you shouldn't view EVE players as toxic if they try to kill you. EVE isn't based only around combat, so when players attempt to cheat you out of your money, that is content too.

Toxic behavior in EVE is NOT encouraged. The recent incident of vandalism of the EVE sculpture was a great example of how CCP and the EVE community do not encourage behavior like that. Everyone likes to talk about the member of the council who "encouraged" someone to kill himself as an example of pro-toxic behavior, but that player later apoligized and was removed from the council. Even if that punishment isn't as much as YOU would like, it is punishment for "toxic" behavior, which means people don't think it is a necessary part of the game.

If you havn't played EVE much, you might believe other people when they say "EVE players say toxic behavior is necessary", but it is simply mis-labeling toxic behavior. EVE players do say that their (nearly) FFA PvP is necessary, and that the freedom to scam/be scammed is necessary because that is where the large scope of content for the game comes from. If anyone says that racial slurs are necessary in the game, they are the vocal minority.[/quote]

I've played EVE since 2005; I very much understand the difference between the normal PvP that is central to the game and true toxic behavior. And yes, it has been encouraged, both by players and even some developers. The developers only bother taking action against it when it becomes too public and draws outside attention.

If you don't believe me, spend five minutes holding a conversation in local chat, or better yet, have a quick browse through the forums. Or for that matter, look up the "Erotica1" debate, and all the players who actually defended that crap. That was certainly some of the most toxic behavior I've seen in any game, and there were a good number of players arguing that it should be allowed.

There are many good people playing EVE, but there are also plenty of bad apples trying to poising the bunch.