These 3 Hearthstone Decks Are Cheap and Competitive

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
These 3 Hearthstone Decks Are Cheap and Competitive

Looking to get into Hearthstone, but don't have a lot of extra cash? Let us recommend these three decks for you.

Read Full Article

GladiatorUA

Jun 1, 2013
Crime: Spreading Face Hunter heresy of the first degree.

Verdict: Guilty.

For the crimes against Hearthstone, you are sentenced the curse of RNGesus. From now on, all of your RNG effects will provide unfavorable results.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
GladiatorUA said:

For the crimes against Hearthstone, you are sentenced the curse of RNGesus. From now on, all of your RNG effects will provide unfavorable results.
I can deal with Face Hunter (BTW, I'd swap out Tracking for Hunter's Mark). I'm just glad none of those decks were Priest decks. Fuck Priest.

But looking through these decks, I would like to suggest also looking at Mech Mage; another fairly cheap, yet effective deck with lots of room for tweaking. There are also a few things I'd suggest changing about your Patron Warrior deck; namely dumping out your Slams for Inner Rage, and your Gnomish Inventors for Sludge Belchers. With all the self-damage you have, you won't be lacking for card draw with Acolytes and Battle Rage, and you don't want to overdo it with Mill Rogue being popular these days.

Still, these are all pretty good decks for new players. Nice article!

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
Stop encouraging the boring decks. And Netdecking.
I haven't spent a dime on hearthstone and I still manage to create decent, effective decks that don't consist of "Hit face. If you are rich, pay to hit face harder".

As for my opinion on the decks...
Also Face Hunter and Zoolock fall off in effectiveness by rank 15.
Patron warrior is kinda gimmicky.

Blue_screen

Aug 28, 2009
As a shaman, I take offense to that (thinking of you, face hunter!).
Just joking. Enjoyable read, would be interested in reading more about gimmmick decks and their variations.

Sep 14, 2009
SlumlordThanatos said:
GladiatorUA said:

I can deal with Face Hunter (BTW, I'd swap out Tracking for Hunter's Mark). I'm just glad none of those decks were Priest decks. Fuck Priest.
agreed. fuck that fucker, his sole purpose is dragging out games unnecessarily long.

Trippy Turtle said:
you are so laughably wrong, zoolock won one of thee most recent worldwide legendary tournaments. It spanks the opponent before they can do anything about it most times besides bleeding on life support.

source [http://hearthstonetopdeck.com/deck.php?d=4365&filter=current]

I wouldn't call patron warrior gimmicky, just a bit difficult to setup if you don't get your good lower cards in the early game for decent board control. It's absolutely hilarious when I wiped a guys board (considering he just dropped a dr. boom on turn 7, shit was toast) and did a shit ton of damage to him as well.

fnakao

Mar 10, 2014
I also recommend Tsafy F2P shaman deck. It's a bit more expensive, but uses a lot of naxx cards:

http://www.hearthpwn.com/decks/57818-tsafys-top-100-legend-shammy

There are replacements for the legendaries at the bottom of the guide

ps: I've been using that deck for a loooong time, and was able to defeat most of blackrock mountain with it

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
I just started back up since the phone app was released and I was glad to see that my old mage deck at least can hold its own. I'll have to give your zoolock deck a try, I always hated playing warlock because I never found a deck I liked.

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
Trippy Turtle said:
you are so laughably wrong, zoolock won one of thee most recent worldwide legendary tournaments. It spanks the opponent before they can do anything about it most times besides bleeding on life support.

I wouldn't call patron warrior gimmicky, just a bit difficult to setup if you don't get your good lower cards in the early game for decent board control. It's absolutely hilarious when I wiped a guys board (considering he just dropped a dr. boom on turn 7, shit was toast) and did a shit ton of damage to him as well.
And that's why everyone at a rank that infers they have a clue what they are doing runs counters to zoo these days. Especially when it also counters the face hunters that everyone is currently using.
Nobody runs a deck slow enough to be stomped by zoo until the single digits when all the aggro decks get a bit rarer.
And how is patron warrior not gimmicky? The fact that when you pull it off its great doesn't mean its a reliable combo.

Sep 14, 2009
Trippy Turtle said:
gmaverick019 said:
Trippy Turtle said:

And that's why everyone at a rank that infers they have a clue what they are doing runs counters to zoo these days. Especially when it also counters the face hunters that everyone is currently using.
Nobody runs a deck slow enough to be stomped by zoo until the single digits when all the aggro decks get a bit rarer.
and this disproves what, exactly? I just proved with a source that it was one of the top decks used recently to win one of the worldwide tournaments, how exactly is it not effective?

And how is patron warrior not gimmicky? The fact that when you pull it off its great doesn't mean its a reliable combo.
because there are LOTS of different combination cards you can use on it for it to be effective, it doesn't just have to be warsong commander + commanding shout, and unless they have flamestrike or another larger AOE type spell on hand, then there is nothing they can do to stop +15 damage the next turn after that as well. Out of the ~20ish times I've used a similar deck, I've used some form of grim patron 15-16 times out of those duals, because it wasn't that hard (short of terrible card draw) to reach the later turns with mediocre to above average board control.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I don't play constructed anymore except to get to rank 20 for the card back, but nothing can top Pandadin for hilarity:

http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=44615/pandadin

based on bouncing battlecries, you havent lived until you hit your opponent in the face with an 8 attack truesilver

Trippy Turtle

Elite Member
May 10, 2010
gmaverick019 said:
and this disproves what, exactly? I just proved with a source that it was one of the top decks used recently to win one of the worldwide tournaments, how exactly is it not effective?

because there are LOTS of different combination cards you can use on it for it to be effective, it doesn't just have to be warsong commander + commanding shout, and unless they have flamestrike or another larger AOE type spell on hand, then there is nothing they can do to stop +15 damage the next turn after that as well. Out of the ~20ish times I've used a similar deck, I've used some form of grim patron 15-16 times out of those duals, because it wasn't that hard (short of terrible card draw) to reach the later turns with mediocre to above average board control.
I just told you why its ineffective: Everyone and their mother uses it at the early ranks because it won, so anyone with half a brain runs counters. Therefore most of the time you are going to get shut down when fighting anyone over rank 15.

And I don't think you know what a gimmick is. Yes, it can work. Whoopdee doo. There are far more reliable combos, that don't require 700 gold + dust for other cards to get, and won't leave you with a 3-3 for 5 when you need an actual minion.
I ran a deck without minions that can attack once and won. Is it no longer a gimmick because it worked?

Sep 14, 2009
Trippy Turtle said:
gmaverick019 said:

I just told you why its ineffective: Everyone and their mother uses it at the early ranks because it won, so anyone with half a brain runs counters. Therefore most of the time you are going to get shut down when fighting anyone over rank 15.
if everyone and their mother used it because it won, isn't that because it's effective? Sure, there are counters to it, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good deck, otherwise we could sit here all day saying no deck is good, since anyone could run counter to it. Just to prove a point since ranks just reset, I'll go from level 19 as far as I can go for the day and report back.

And I don't think you know what a gimmick is. Yes, it can work. Whoopdee doo. There are far more reliable combos, that don't require 700 gold + dust for other cards to get, and won't leave you with a 3-3 for 5 when you need an actual minion.
I ran a deck without minions that can attack once and won. Is it no longer a gimmick because it worked?
Yes there are more reliable combos, but are they as effective? class based? where is your cut line between gimmick and not-gimmicky? what's the point of using any other combos then ever besides the most reliable ones? All it needs to do is replicate once and it's worth the cost, and then you have double the copying potential after that as well. (most combos depend on you controlling the damage that turn anyways, so unless the opponent has an AOE the next turn, it won't kill it off.)

Luthor55555

Feb 16, 2015
SlumlordThanatos said:
GladiatorUA said:

All I could think of when reading the first page was "WHY ARE YOU TELLING MORE PEOPLE TO DO THE MOST ANNOYING DECK!?" and then I remembered priest and the delay warrior. those games take so long that at some point I just left every game that I ran into a warrior just to save time.

OT: I love the grim patron decks but i don't think they are too good. Part of it is idk how to do it well and the other is that I never have lost to it. I mean never and its not that I don't play against it, it just never wins, even if it gets a combo or two off on me. It is fun though even if I don't have enough time in a turn to get a crazy huge combo lol.

and remember, every warrior has a fiery war axe on turn 1. Every druid has a wrath, and every mage has a frost bolt.

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Face Hunter
Personally, I would shave the 2nd Animal Companion for the 2nd Abusive Sergeant. The rate of damage to cost on Abusive Sergeant is just too high - along with helping to push through taunts, and it's often important to have a one drop you can run out for pressure.

Ukomba

Oct 14, 2010
As long as it's not another F***ing mech deck. Every time my opponent coins out a Mech Warper it's hard not to quit on the spot.

The latest Rogue Mill deck is interesting, ran into one where they kept duping the Coldlight Oracle with Gang Up. Didn't help that I was playing a Draw heavy Priest at the time.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
You're doing good work, don't listen to the haters. New players are a lot more likely to stick around if they learn about cheap but effective decks they can easily build and there's no better answer to the situation where it seems like everyone else has high-powered cards that kill you in late game than killing them on turn 6.
edit-Mech mage is a good option also. It's still pretty effective without Antonidas and Dr. Balanced. Thanks poster above me for reminding me.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Trippy Turtle said:
Gonna have to disagree. Zoo and Face Hunter are some of the easiest ways to climb to legend. Sure, you'll run into some people who have counters, but I find it's actually less common to run into those at the higher ranks since more and more people are playing control. Not only that, the games you win are usually going to be quite quick so you don't have to worry about the morale hit that other players may experience after losing a half hour game.

Patron Warrior probably isn't quite consistent enough to be up there with the meta decks, but it's good enough and it encourages a different play style for newer players to learn instead of, like you said, hit face over and over.

Honestly, Zoo is also great for new players since it's less about hitting face and more about making effective trades and controlling the board to maintain tempo. These things are crucial for any player to learn so I actually think Zoo is the perfect starting point for a new player.

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Ukomba said:
As long as it's not another F***ing mech deck. Every time my opponent coins out a Mech Warper it's hard not to quit on the spot.

The latest Rogue Mill deck is interesting, ran into one where they kept duping the Coldlight Oracle with Gang Up. Didn't help that I was playing a Draw heavy Priest at the time.
I like to play a mix of "1 attack" and mech when I need to do Hunter dailies, due to the Metaltooth Leapers and the Hobgoblin cards there's two ways to buff the 1-attack minions I have which makes it semi-reliable though I wish I had a second hobgoblin, never get the bastard when my hand is full of 1 attack minions xD

Though my favourite deck to play is definitely my Silverhand Paladin deck, some pirate variety and recently Dragondin, still need to find a good balance with the minions and buffs in that though, I just want to include everything xD

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Whaaaat? You mean Hearthstone isn't pay to win like all the people who probably don't even play have been telling me? It's not like there are streamers that make a point of getting legendary without spending a penny or anything...*cough*