They are trying to cancel Dave Chappell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
That's besides the point I was making. Is Crowder mainly watched/listened to for his comedy or political commentary? I'm guessing he's mainly a political commentator. Joe Rogan does stand-up comedy but his popularity is not due to his comedy so saying Joe Rogan is an example of [insert Joe Rogan's "label/team"] being bad at comedy is a pretty bad argument. It's like saying progressives are bad at acting and using Jon Stewart's acting as your basis when he's not really an actor even though he's been in movies. If the pool of people the video was criticizing was the most popular conservative comedians (whose primary job is comedy) vs most popular progressive comedians, then he could have something there but that wasn't the video.

Haha, I'm no where close to right wing on the vast vast majority of issues. I've continually said nobody should vote for democrats or republicans (outside a few good ones) because whatever you want to change is not gonna happen voting for them. Why do you think Biden said "We need a strong Republican party"? So the democrats don't have to do what they promise and what people actually want and have the excuse of it was the republicans' fault. The reason I "defend" the right isn't because I'm right but ignoring HUMAN BEINGS is not how you make things better. Say the left is 80% right and 20% wrong and the right is 20% right and 80% wrong, don't you want to listen to the other side and fix your shortcomings? And wouldn't the other side be less mad when they're actually listened to and their concerns do help shape new policy? Now we just have the other side is completely wrong and shouldn't even be acknowledged (regardless if your right or left), that is not leading to good policy or healthy society.

I'm very progressive on most things because chances are that the way we are currently doing something is not the best way to do something. If you ask me what country the US should try to emulate/copy, it would be one of the social democratic countries like Denmark, which has the highest happiness rate among citizens in the world I believe. My take on energy is neither fossil fuels (right) or green energy (left), it's nuclear because if you look into it nuclear is the best option by far. My take on healthcare is that it shouldn't be run as a profit making business nor should any necessity. How would that be right-wing? The only reason you and others may think I'm right-wing is because of how insane the left has gone with regards to covid. Everyone would say Denmark is very left-wing, correct? Yet their covid response is far closer to what the right wing American response has been. School in Denmark reopened April 2020. Guess what Denmark doesn't have, mask mandates or vaccine mandates. Are you gonna argue that Denmark is some crazy right wing country when they have probably all the stuff in place like public healthcare that just about any left wing person would love to have? The greatest shift in wealth just happened in the US due to left wing covid policies, I'm sure all the billionaires are loving the democrats right now.
So any requests for your space in the pit? Any specific drinks you'd like?

Us residents of the pit have been making it quite nice in here. I mean you don't normally end up here voluntarily you get thrown in here with the rest of us but we're making it far better than the weird fight for survival cut throat nonsense outside of the proverbial pit that seems to be going on.

Reactions: Phoenixmgs

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
That's besides the point I was making. Is Crowder mainly watched/listened to for his comedy or political commentary? I'm guessing he's mainly a political commentator. Joe Rogan does stand-up comedy but his popularity is not due to his comedy so saying Joe Rogan is an example of [insert Joe Rogan's "label/team"] being bad at comedy is a pretty bad argument. It's like saying progressives are bad at acting and using Jon Stewart's acting as your basis when he's not really an actor even though he's been in movies. If the pool of people the video was criticizing was the most popular conservative comedians (whose primary job is comedy) vs most popular progressive comedians, then he could have something there but that wasn't the video.
So the "hilarious" skit where he dresses up like a caricature of a trans woman and goes and annoys people at a gym is political commentary?

Beautiful built in defense though: "they aren't comedians because they suck at it"

Mister Mumbler

Pronounced "Throat-wobbler Mangrove"
Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
So any requests for your space in the pit? Any specific drinks you'd like?

Us residents of the pit have been making it quite nice in here. I mean you don't normally end up here voluntarily you get thrown in here with the rest of us but we're making it far better than the weird fight for survival cut throat nonsense outside of the proverbial pit that seems to be going on.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
No, he's a shock jock. There's a difference. And fence sitters like you are right wing, you just have commitment issues.
How am "fence sitting" when I just mentioned Denmark and said the US should strive to emulate them? How do you end with being in the middle and having commitment issues when Denmark is pretty fucking far in one direction on the Inglehart–Welzel cultural map?

How does this look like Denmark is "fence sitting" to anyone?

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
So the "hilarious" skit where he dresses up like a caricature of a trans woman and goes and annoys people at a gym is political commentary?

Beautiful built in defense though: "they aren't comedians because they suck at it"
Again, I haven't seen any of Crowder's stuff but from googling his name, political commentator is the first thing he is described as. Does Steven Crowder have any comedy specials like say George Carlin, Dave Chappelle, Jeff Foxworthy, Ron White, Chris Rock, Ricky Gervais, Kevin Hart, Norm McDonald, Bill Burr, etc.? Can I watch a comedy special of Crowder on any major platform? If you wanna give me conservative comedians that are popular enough to have those kind of comedy specials and critique them showing they are worse than liberal comedians, then go for it. But the video posted is not that at all. It's rather disingenuous to show some guy that doesn't even have a comedy special as an example of conservative comedy being bad as it's probably why he doesn't have a comedy special because he's not fucking good at it. Same thing in criticizing Gutfeld and not mentioning Colbert's show is just as bad. What's even the point of the video anyway, so progressives can point and laugh that conservatives can't even do comedy?

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Again, I haven't seen any of Crowder's stuff but from googling his name, political commentator is the first thing he is described as. Does Steven Crowder have any comedy specials like say George Carlin, Dave Chappelle, Jeff Foxworthy, Ron White, Chris Rock, Ricky Gervais, Kevin Hart, Norm McDonald, Bill Burr, etc.? Can I watch a comedy special of Crowder on any major platform? If you wanna give me conservative comedians that are popular enough to have those kind of comedy specials and critique them showing they are worse than liberal comedians, then go for it. But the video posted is not that at all. It's rather disingenuous to show some guy that doesn't even have a comedy special as an example of conservative comedy being bad as it's probably why he doesn't have a comedy special because he's not fucking good at it. Same thing in criticizing Gutfeld and not mentioning Colbert's show is just as bad. What's even the point of the video anyway, so progressives can point and laugh that conservatives can't even do comedy?
It's literally in the video you claimed to watch and not see, as with parts of his stand up, and explicit conservative comedy shows on Fox, several other conservative political comedians, etc.

Cody takes shots at liberal talk shows, Colbert, liberals in general, etc.

Did you actually watch that video?

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
So you're Mister Crabs in you're analogy?
uh idk.gif
But yes I am Mr. Krabs in the aforementioned post, and you're Mr. Squidward while I'm here explaining the joke ('analogy', lol). Because, as someone who was usually the butt of the jokes in my group of friends, it never ceases to amaze me how easily the 'it's just a joke', 'they're just words, they have no power' crowd just wilt under the slightest bit of resistance/mockery. The people who went around calling others snowflakes are themselves even flakier and that joke just never gets old. I mean, to paraphrase that one quote, you should have the courage to stand behind your opinions, the smarts to realize when you might be wrong, and the good graces to know which is which. This is why I was never worried about Chappelle going anywhere in the first place (and thus far been proven right).

Reactions: BrawlMan

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
View attachment 4853
But yes I am Mr. Krabs in the aforementioned post, and you're Mr. Squidward while I'm here explaining the joke ('analogy', lol). Because, as someone who was usually the butt of the jokes in my group of friends, it never ceases to amaze me how easily the 'it's just a joke', 'they're just words, they have no power' crowd just wilt under the slightest bit of resistance/mockery. The people who went around calling others snowflakes are themselves even flakier and that joke just never gets old. I mean, to paraphrase that one quote, you should have the courage to stand behind your opinions, the smarts to realize when you might be wrong, and the good graces to know which is which. This is why I was never worried about Chappelle going anywhere in the first place (and thus far been proven right).
No it's not about explaining it it was so I could get you to confirm yourself as taking the position of Mr Krabs to suggest maybe not the position you'd want to take considering Mr Krabs is basically amoral character who'd sell people for pocket change while Squidward has a back bone

What is it they say Mr Krabs turnabout is fair play?

The issue with the idea of "The smarts to realise you're wrong" well that still requires you opponent to be able to prove that I'm wrong and so far there's been a whole lot of proving me right while pearl clutching about "consequences" of the jokes that aren't happening. What did I say before this isn't as much about Chappelle as the next person coming in now not as resistant to cancellation. It's about telling the cancellation mob No loud enough and strong enough they back off and don't turn up the next time.

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
No it's not about explaining it it was so I could get you to confirm yourself as taking the position of Mr Krabs to suggest maybe not the position you'd want to take considering Mr Krabs is basically amoral character who'd sell people for pocket change while Squidward has a back bone
Ah ha! He got you there MISTER SO-CALLED MUMBLER! DESTROYED WITH FACTS AND LOGIC!

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States

What is it they say Mr Krabs turnabout is fair play?

The issue with the idea of "The smarts to realise you're wrong" well that still requires you opponent to be able to prove that I'm wrong and so far there's been a whole lot of proving me right while pearl clutching about "consequences" of the jokes that aren't happening. What did I say before this isn't as much about Chappelle as the next person coming in now not as resistant to cancellation. It's about telling the cancellation mob No loud enough and strong enough they back off and don't turn up the next time.
I mean...obviously Mr. Krabs is a dick, that's his whole character. I'm him in that clip insofar as I need him for the specific punchline I had with my reference of you guys throwing yourselves a pity party. And if you need 'consequences' of the jokes that totally did happen, see earlier discussion of said protest crashers who got the shit kicked out of them by women.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I mean...obviously Mr. Krabs is a dick, that's his whole character. I'm him in that clip insofar as I need him for the specific punchline I had with my reference of you guys throwing yourselves a pity party. And if you need 'consequences' of the jokes that totally did happen, see earlier discussion of said protest crashers who got the shit kicked out of them by women.
And you didn't think maybe your framing would help prove me right?

It's not a pity party it's present reality and if you'd took in what I was saying I was saying it's nicer in the pit. In part because the whole "Cancel culture is not real but ban this person" side keep throwing more fun people down here and even the ones who weren't fun outside of the pit once they land in here they mostly realise they were wrong and become more fun.

The even funnier bit is the "consequences of a joke" argument you're making to take it to it's logical conclusion it's worth first pointing out the people who got violet are those who can't take a joke and laugh.

Therefore your argument is "Jokes that offended people should be allowed because those offended people are so lacking in any kind of self control and so prone to act on impulse or emotion they'll attack the comedians" It's a terrible argument. It's the "Do what we want or we'll turn violent on you". All that does is tell a comedian to laugh more and make more jokes because clearly people are in need to a good mocking and taking down a peg or two so they can learn some humility. What's the plan punch everyone who dares laugh?

Mister Mumbler

Legacy
Jun 17, 2020
Nowhere
Country
United States
*Me continuing to post here*
And you didn't think maybe your framing would help prove me right?

It's not a pity party it's present reality and if you'd took in what I was saying I was saying it's nicer in the pit. In part because the whole "Cancel culture is not real but ban this person" side keep throwing more fun people down here and even the ones who weren't fun outside of the pit once they land in here they mostly realise they were wrong and become more fun.

The even funnier bit is the "consequences of a joke" argument you're making to take it to it's logical conclusion it's worth first pointing out the people who got violet are those who can't take a joke and laugh.

Therefore your argument is "Jokes that offended people should be allowed because those offended people are so lacking in any kind of self control and so prone to act on impulse or emotion they'll attack the comedians" It's a terrible argument. It's the "Do what we want or we'll turn violent on you". All that does is tell a comedian to laugh more and make more jokes because clearly people are in need to a good mocking and taking down a peg or two so they can learn some humility. What's the plan punch everyone who dares laugh?
I mean, if I wanted to be a smart-ass, I could just say my pity party comment was an attempt at a pun about your earlier pit bit, but eh. I find it a bit funny how you immediately jump on "I'm the one who's right, everyone else needs to step off", but eh. I could also point out how your constant attempts at framing those schmucks as martyrs for crashing a protest as some sort of hilarious joke proves me right (and all these "just don't get the joke" people at the same time), but just...eh. This whole discussion is just turning into this;

(Yes, me and you are both represented as rats here to save time).

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
*Me continuing to post here*
(Yes, me and you are both represented as rats here to save time).
You're a better person than Dwarv can ever hope to be. You at least bother not to defend shitty scumbags nor make pathetic excuses for the assholes making the world worse.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
Curb your Enthusiasm music plays

The lawuits against Netflix have been dropped, one of the main employees behind this has walked.

You're a better person than Dwarv can ever hope to be. You at least bother not to defend shitty scumbags nor make pathetic excuses for the assholes making the world worse.
Brawlman you gonna start asking for rent or can I keep on living rent free in your head lol. I thought you'd decided to block me and be done with me but so often here you pop up so bitter.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Curb your Enthusiasm music plays

The lawuits against Netflix have been dropped, one of the main employees behind this has walked.

Brawlman you gonna start asking for rent or can I keep on living rent free in your head lol. I thought you'd decided to block me and be done with me but so often here you pop up so bitter.
The fact that it took you nearly the entire month respond to that, shows you don't have much of a comeback and you have nothing to better to do right now. This is pathetic even by your standards.

To remind everyone else, Dave Chappelle ain't being canceled. Only he can cancel himself and he did that back in the mid 2000s. End of story; thread is done.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
The fact that it took you nearly the entire month respond to that, shows you don't have much of a comeback and you have nothing to better to do right now. This is pathetic even by your standards.
No it shows I didn't even know you'd replied lol

I just happened to notice the thread seemed to have a new reply as I was scrolling about. Also is it saying I have nothing better to do when I didn't respond for months or you have nothing better to do when you're here still thumping your chest against some-one you claim to have on ignore and not care what they have to say?

To remind everyone else, Dave Chappelle ain't being canceled. Only he can cancel himself and he did that back in the mid 2000s. End of story; thread is done.
So about that whole fact most film festivals suddenly rejecting his film and dis-inviting him?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
So about that whole fact most film festivals suddenly rejecting his film and dis-inviting him?
He still makes millions and millions of dollars, so nothing was lost. And Dave gets to make another special later on whenever he and Netflix feels like it.

No it shows I didn't even know you'd replied lol
The fact you end everything with "lol", shows that you have nothing really smart or interesting to engage in. It sad and pathetic, but I feel nothing for you.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
He still makes millions and millions of dollars, so nothing was lost. And Dave gets to make another special later on whenever he and Netflix feels like it.
Oh so it's not at all evidence of some pressure being applied to try and cancel him?

The fact you end everything with "lol", shows that you have nothing really smart or interesting to engage in. It sad and pathetic, but I feel nothing for you.
Oh I'm sorry I should have been more specific that it was a laugh of derision in that case laughing at the idea you thought you had some kind of gotcha or point there. You claim to feel nothing but considering how often you respond to me or bring me up unprovoked while claiming to be done with me or want nothing to do with me and be ignoring me. Well your actions speak differently and to your actions I say
good-good-let-the-hate-flow-through-you.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.