"They couldn't make that today...except they could and did"

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
This is a phrase you've probably heard often enough about Blazing Saddles, a movie that pretty much was remade three times with Django Unchained, Paws of Fury and Outlaw Johnny Black. But I recently saw another example of this easily disproven claim when Roger Kumble, director of 1999's Cruel Intentions, claimed that his movie about teenagers having sex doing drugs and participating in all manner of outrageous behavior, would not be made today.

I really wonder what it is that makes people think this? Do they just not pay attention to the current media landscape?

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
I really wonder what it is that makes people think this? Do they just not pay attention to the current media landscape?
People complaining that this generation isn't as good as the last has been around for ages. You can read Roman authors complaining about that during the time of the Republic.

Reactions: BrawlMan and Worgen

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
claimed that his movie about teenagers having sex doing drugs and participating in all manner of outrageous behavior, would not be made today.
Never mind movies, has that shithead watched basic cable or Netflix in the past decade or so? Also as much as it was a hell of a thing seeing Buffy the Vampire Slayer make out with another woman, he may want to visit a little ditty from a year earlier called "Wild Things". Cruel Intentions fucking wishes it was that dirty and sleazy and dark.

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
This is a phrase you've probably heard often enough about Blazing Saddles, a movie that pretty much was remade three times with Django Unchained, Paws of Fury and Outlaw Johnny Black. But I recently saw another example of this easily disproven claim when Roger Kumble, director of 1999's Cruel Intentions, claimed that his movie about teenagers having sex doing drugs and participating in all manner of outrageous behavior, would not be made today.

It's racists, sexists, and homophobes complaining that it's less socially acceptable in some circles to say racist, sexist, or homophobic things.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
It's racists, sexists, and homophobes complaining that it's less socially acceptable in some circles to say racist, sexist, or homophobic things.
Generally, it wasn't acceptable to do those things in public back then. It might have been in their personal social circles but not in public.

They are pretending history.

Reactions: BrawlMan