They fired the Escapist's editor, and the video team, Yahtzee resigns

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Woah.

This isn't the headline that I expected to read. Yahtzee has been the biggest draw of this site for well over a decade, and he has stayed through just about everything that has happened through this site's history, so him leaving now just goes to show the new culture that Nick created here. Now with basically every name at this site gone, I can't imagine that this site is going to survive much longer.

I've been here since 2009, regularly reading and commenting on this forum. Sure, i've seen some notable faces slowly disappear over the years, but I loved this forum community specifically because it was quite small. I recognised everyone, and unlike something like Reddit, it never felt like anything I said was just being pissed into the aether of a million other comments.

Im grateful to Nick and the rest of the team for reviving this site from a slow and painful death a few years ago, but assuming this really is the end of the Escapist, im mostly just sad about these forums. Im really going to miss it here, with you guys.

I've joined the Escaped the Escapist Discord, and I'll be waiting to see what comes next. I hope to see everyone there, but otherwise, you can find me on Steam - https://steamcommunity.com/id/laggyteabag/

Its been a fantastic run. See you all around!

Last edited:

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
It just blows my mind that the site recovered from the decay of the era of Defy, where the site was slowly breaking down as spambots flooded everywhere, only to be tanked overnight by one stupid decision by the owners. Like we lost Gaming Discussion! Do you guys remember that? For months you couldn't post there because it was just pages and page FULL of spam. And the site recovered! Only for this.
From what I understand in his old announcement posts... he wanted to do more for this place, but was either too busy to do so, wasn't given enough control to do so, or the higher ups didn't allow him to do so. He showed a degree of care for the forums and recognized their value, but since the people upstairs didn't feel the same, then resources wouldn't come our way
I got the sense that he realized most of us were just coming to the forums and there wasn't a lot of cross-traffic between it and the main site. There was one post he made that seemed to imply as much. After that it's the logical decision to pretty much ignore us. I mean really, there's like 2 people that signed up for Escapist + that actually post here regularly, time spent here isn't making the site money.

Last edited:

Carrington666

Jun 21, 2009
Damn, didn't expect that. I mean, the last time I spent any real time here was 7-ish years ago (and man, does time fly), but watching the videos here and reading on the forums was a big part of my day back then. So it's super weird to see the site go down like this.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
It just blows my mind that the site recovered from the decay of the era of Defy, where the site was slowly breaking down as spambots flooded everywhere, only to be tanked overnight by one stupid decision by the owners. Like we lost Gaming Discussion! Do you guys remember that? For months you couldn't post there because it was just pages and page FULL of spam. And the site recovered! Only for this.
It's a bit fatuous, but such is the nature of things. People hang on by their fingernails and can win, but someone upstairs who isn't paying attention brings everything crashing down.

So Gamurs owns the ZP brand? God, they're gonna replace Yahtzee aren't they?
For...4 or 5 episodes before they give up?

Reactions: gorfias

Summerstorm

Elite Member
Sep 19, 2008
Hm, i usually just lurk around in the forums (while... at work, sigh) and habit-watch ZP. I was wondering how and what kind of money this site makes... and how much stress, desperation and problems between owners, contributors, users is. Hm. Seems something there broke. Well. Let's see how this develops. If everything breaks and burns: See ya somewhere else maybe, in this vast weird web.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Damn I guess Yahtzee really liked Nick, or maybe they've been preparing for this in the background and have an escape (ba-dun-tze) plan?

Reactions: Dalisclock

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Damn I guess Yahtzee really liked Nick, or maybe they've been preparing for this in the background and have an escape (ba-dun-tze) plan?
They created a Discord group/channel called Escaped the Escapist, if anybody wants to join it.

(Sorry don't know how to link it but it shows up in their socials)

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
So Gamurs owns the ZP brand? God, they're gonna replace Yahtzee aren't they?
I mean, you kinda can't. I doubt there is anyone who can replace Yahtzee, but I would bet they will try. As much as I like the site, its mainly known for ZP.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Yahtzee seemed willing to try a lot of things to keep the site afloat (the whole "Yahtzee Unscripted" thing seemed to come out of nowhere, not that I didn't enjoy it, and I'd bet a dollar to a bent dime that those promos dropped into recent ZP episodes weren't his idea), but Nick was largely responsible for getting this ship off the reefs after the Defy debacle, and even if friendship wasn't a factor, I imagine Yahtz realized that a company that would drop such a dedicated employee over such arbitrary corporate garbage is a company that's not going to do well by him.