They fired the Escapist's editor, and the video team, Yahtzee resigns

Ag3ma

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2023
Yeah I can't believe they'd go ahead and fire Nick et al if they knew Yahtzee was also walking.

Unless the whole point is to sell for scrap.
There is a saying that every crisis is an opportunity. The idea might have been to sweep everything away and restart afresh.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
I hope they have forums. Like, normal forums like here, not discord or disquis.
Forums aren't really a thing of today's audiences, are they?

Look at the very small number of users that signed up here and actually became active members.

Audiences nowadays are more commonly engaged through Discord servers, Reddit 'forums', Twitch chats, Twitter threads and YouTube comments over Forums.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bedinsis

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Forums aren't really a thing of today's audiences, are they?

Look at all the very small number of users that signed up here and actually became active members.

Audiences are more commonly engaged through Discord servers, Reddit 'forums', Twitch chats, Twitter threads and YouTube comments over Forums.
While true, those all suck.

Phoenixmgs

The Muse of Fate
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
w/ M'Kraan Crystal
That sucks for Nick and the gang, from their streams everyone seems like good, standup people. Seems like they might have know something was coming or had a backup plan from Marty's post there. I can see why just about every game site will bit the dust with maybe a couple big ones being able to make it because there just doesn't seem to be that much money in it especially with other platforms offering better content like Youtube (that's where I saw all Escapist content) where you follow someone because you like them / tastes align because on some big site like IGN, there's so many different reviewers there's no actual voice and all the reviewer turnover as well. A couple of Frost's last few Cold Takes pretty spot-on with regards the video gaming in general.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Just my hot take -

I don't expect the forums are going anywhere, but that's kinda been part of the problem with theescapist going as far back as 2.0 . It's likely just gonna get ignored.

They completely cleansed the forums, but then, made no effort to promote it, then they redid the user content and comments section and obfuscated it so much so that no one bothers to engage with the site anymore. Nick seemed to believe that everything is going great, but idk I question how much site traffic the escapist was actually getting, especially if the owners were trying to do a big content push.

I do like some of the content that Escapist has been doing, but idk I did not find Mooneys diatribes on film/tv consistently interesting, entertaining or accessible. I liked all the 3 minute reviews, yahtzee and some random review content. I don't watch the game night or D&D stuff. It just didn't excite me to Check Escapist daily the way I did on 1.0, when you had a bunch of content creators doing "different" things. Yeah I know that turned into a big nightmare, I'm just talking about what brought me to the site.

I guess if I could put it in a nutshell, somehow I'm just not that surprised. I think the owners probably wanted to do LTT numbers and to do that I think they need more myriad content and more user engagement. If not the forums, then something else to boost more return traffic.

I kinda miss the web comics.

Last edited:

davidmc1158

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 4, 2020
Been mostly a lurker for quite a while, but still always actively checked the forums for anything interesting. (For the record, the main forum I haunt was always Religion & Politics/Current Events.) Quite a few users always seemed to have an interesting take or viewpoint on the various subjects and, while I didn't always agree with their positions, I was always interested in their perspectives.

Should the forums go the way of the dodo, I will be saddened. To quote the venerable old hobbit, "I don't know half of you as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you as well as you deserve."

Keep on carrying on. There is no constant in the universe except change.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I kinda miss the web comics.
Some yes, others no. Good luck having Grey Carter come back. He doesn't do anything related to that anymore. I forgot what it was, but it's actually to help people and those in need, so I don't hate him for it. I I remember now: Red Cross. Back on point, I really didn't care most of the web comics on the site. There were a few good ones, but eventually the quality dip was noticeable or certain comic creators had their heads up their ass. Grey being one of them at a certain point. I get what you mean though, as at least added some variety. But once again it all boils down to the old management and them not seeing things properly through. People left out of frustration, lack of pay, or lack of respect and care. Some of the content creators left by their own means and found success elsewhere independently or on YouTube. Some others didn't or only got worse from there. The rest is history.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Been mostly a lurker for quite a while, but still always actively checked the forums for anything interesting. (For the record, the main forum I haunt was always Religion & Politics/Current Events.) Quite a few users always seemed to have an interesting take or viewpoint on the various subjects and, while I didn't always agree with their positions, I was always interested in their perspectives.

Should the forums go the way of the dodo, I will be saddened. To quote the venerable old hobbit, "I don't know half of you as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you as well as you deserve."

Keep on carrying on. There is no constant in the universe except change.
Same here, very long time member, but mostly lurker these days. I think this might be the sign I should move on, and remove the site from my homepages maybe. I dunno, the whole situation is strange.

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
Well fuck. What a bone headed owner move. I... guess this site won't be around much longer then since I would imagine that Yahtzee was really keeping the lights on.
With a name like “Gamurs” it’s probably for the best to say good riddance and get out from under the A-Holes anyways.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
With a name like “Gamurs” it’s probably for the best to say good riddance and get out from under the A-Holes anyways.
Till recently it didn't seem like they were doing that bad, then again I have no idea what else was going on behind the scenes. Is a name that doesn't inspire confidence though.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020
Till recently it didn't seem like they were doing that bad, then again I have no idea what else was going on behind the scenes. Is a name that doesn't inspire confidence though.
They are notorious for taking over control of niche game and media sites and sucking them dry till you got bland content farm style posts. Think Siliconera and Destructoid then and now

Reactions: BrawlMan

Zykon TheLich

Extra Heretical!
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
Country
UK
Well, I wasn't expecting that.

Can't remember the last time I actually watched/read any escapist content, but it was nice to know it was there.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
At this point Yahtzee is more escapist than the escapist, so if he's moving I guess I'll move, so...

1699401665534.png

(assuming they have a forum so us underpass dweller can hang out)

I will give gamus a minuscule chance and say that for all we know maybe the website was bleeding cash and they had to do something.

Reactions: gorfias and Piscian

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Well, all things considered...I think a certain scene from Doctor Who feels quite fitting as a send off (Treat "I" as the boards):