Thief Attempts to Steal Xbox 360, Instigates Knife Fight, Loses

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
Here in California, we're told to leave the house and let the thief steal everything. The only time we can show any force is if there is a direct verifiable threat to our life, i.e. they are brandishing a gun and even then it's still a grey area. Yay for human rights!!
Someone may need to call me out for being wrong but last I knew most people harmed with a weapon in a situation where they had a weapon are harmed by their own weapon.

So these silly laws probably save more lives than they cost.

I do think that you should be able to kill anyone who breaks into your house though. If they break in once what's to stop them from doing it again.

Starts out burglary ends with them killing you in your sleep because they know how to get in your house.

I'm not saying one leads to the other, but that I'd sure as hell have trouble ever sleeping in that house once its been violated.

Odd Water

Mar 6, 2010
There's a local one from where I lived where a robber broke into a home and... I don't know how... but some how injured himself in the kitchen by slipping and falling cutting himself with a kitchen knife. Sued the home owner because the house was unsafe and won the case.

DeadFOAM

Aug 7, 2010
Nathan Dewar said:
DeadFOAM said:
PaulH said:
Am I the only one who thinks anybody stabbing a thief multiple times rather than just letting him go, over a tiny ass tv (Fits in a suitcase afterall) and a 200 dollar gaming console is perhaps a sign that the owner of said equoipment should be psychologically examined? The guy walks around with a knife as a matter of course, and is willing to kill a guy to protect negligible assets. And they just let him go about his business ...?

Ehhhh ... stop the world, I want to get off. Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks the resident is batshit insane and should be examined -multiple times- for possible violent malignancies. If only to know whether this guy is the type of person who will slit the throats of any coworker that steals his sandwich.... please~ tell me this guy is now seeing a psychiatrist for evaluation...
You seem to believe that a person who carries a knife carries it for the sole reason of bodily harm. I carry a knife, and I have never stabbed anybody. I have pulled it in self-defense, but that has been enough to end the conflict. You also are saying that he stabbed the thief to protect his assets. It clearly states that the thief threatened him first. And yes, you are the only one who thinks he should be examined. A person pulling a knife on you with malicious intent is a far different case than a stolen sandwich.
I've always considered people that carry knives to be either cowardly/psychotic or a cowboy. As long as they are wearing a cowboy hat then its ok because usually cowboys will only draw in self defence.
I'm Texan, that count for being a cowboy?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
PaulH said:
Am I the only one who thinks anybody stabbing a thief multiple times rather than just letting him go, over a tiny ass tv (Fits in a suitcase afterall) and a 200 dollar gaming console is perhaps a sign that the owner of said equoipment should be psychologically examined? The guy walks around with a knife as a matter of course, and is willing to kill a guy to protect negligible assets. And they just let him go about his business ...?

Ehhhh ... stop the world, I want to get off. Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks the resident is batshit insane and should be examined -multiple times- for possible violent malignancies. If only to know whether this guy is the type of person who will slit the throats of any coworker that steals his sandwich.... please~ tell me this guy is now seeing a psychiatrist for evaluation...
Wait until your home is violated by a burglar, and then ask yourself if you still stand by this. It isn't just the thought of the items being stolen, but the idea that this person had the gall to go into your home without invitation or welcome. Your home is supposed to be your place of security where you can feel safe to sleep, eat, and relax when you are not at work or otherwise occupied. Once that security has been violated, it takes something away from you that isn't easy to get back, regardless if you killed the intruder. People lose sleep, jobs, and relationships over one break-in.
Steal my computer from work, steal my stapler, steal my seat at my favorite lunch hangout.
Do not enter my home uninvited.
theultimateend said:
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
Here in California, we're told to leave the house and let the thief steal everything. The only time we can show any force is if there is a direct verifiable threat to our life, i.e. they are brandishing a gun and even then it's still a grey area. Yay for human rights!!
Someone may need to call me out for being wrong but last I knew most people harmed with a weapon in a situation where they had a weapon are harmed by their own weapon.

So these silly laws probably save more lives than they cost.

I do think that you should be able to kill anyone who breaks into your house though. If they break in once what's to stop them from doing it again.

Starts out burglary ends with them killing you in your sleep because they know how to get in your house.

I'm not saying one leads to the other, but that I'd sure as hell have trouble ever sleeping in that house once its been violated.
Exactly. I would happily(well, not joyfully) give a thug all the money in my wallet even if I was on my way to Best Buy for a new PC. Gotta figure it might actually do the guy some good or he will just OD on the meth he might buy with it.
That same thug comes into my house? I am going to have a very bloody crowbar when I am done with him.

Nathan Dewar

Dec 5, 2011
DeadFOAM said:
Nathan Dewar said:
DeadFOAM said:
PaulH said:

You seem to believe that a person who carries a knife carries it for the sole reason of bodily harm. I carry a knife, and I have never stabbed anybody. I have pulled it in self-defense, but that has been enough to end the conflict. You also are saying that he stabbed the thief to protect his assets. It clearly states that the thief threatened him first. And yes, you are the only one who thinks he should be examined. A person pulling a knife on you with malicious intent is a far different case than a stolen sandwich.
I've always considered people that carry knives to be either cowardly/psychotic or a cowboy. As long as they are wearing a cowboy hat then its ok because usually cowboys will only draw in self defence.
I'm Texan, that count for being a cowboy?
Why yes I believe it does. And while we are on the subject of cowboys can someone please explain to me all this hate of the south in america? Every American that I've met online from those southern states seem to be generally warm easy going lovely people.

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
theultimateend said:
bl4ckh4wk64 said:
The real statistic is that most people harmed with firearms are harmed by their own ones, (or something along that line) usually by negligence. There's a couple cases where people just put their guard down for a split second and terrible things happen. A buddy of mine in the LAPD was telling me about one of their past officers that forgot to empty the chamber after taking the mag out of his handgun when he was cleaning it. He accidentally pressed the trigger and shot himself.

It's stuff like that where the owners harm themselves. Most gun owners are extremely responsible, but there's always the one exception that the media focuses on; or there's always the one person that forgets one thing at the wrong time. It's funny, guns and video games are some of the very few things that the media just downright despises.

Nathan Dewar said:
Why yes I believe it does. And while we are on the subject of cowboys can someone please explain to me all this hate of the south in america? Every American that I've met online from those southern states seem to be generally warm easy going lovely people.
Simple answer: Stereotypes. In the non-Southern areas, most children believe that the South is this group of inbreeding redneck hicks that want another Civil War in the hopes of enslaving the blacks. It's really quite sad that people believe this.

KaiusCormere

Mar 19, 2009
PaulH said:

Lol...Um, I for one am damn proud of that guy. He's the kind of guy who gives me faith in humanity. Someone willing to stand up for their rights. A psychiatrist? The thief threatening people with a knife should see one. Maybe you should, since you believe in the rights of thieves over the rights of decent folk.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
Kopikatsu said:
Heimir said:
Had this been in Sweden. The man who defended himself and his belongings would've been jailed, forced to pay a huge fine to the thief. And the thief would've gotten little to no punishment.

Hope the thief dies or becomes crippled for life. Scumbag.
Same thing in America, actually.

I've been told by a police officer that if someone breaks into your house and you shoot them, empty the entire clip into them to make sure they die. If they survive, they can sue you for everything you own. If they break into your house.

AND don't reload. their family will sue you if you reload.

shame you don't live in the uk, our law was just revised to allow the killing of anything that is present in our homes if we feel threatened by it

ok, so it's not quite that vague.. but it's close.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I hope this one is actually true and not the same as the "guy robs marines, "falls", breaks multiple parts of his body" story.

Eh, this is just a good example of kharma in effect

EDIT:
Kopikatsu said:
Heimir said:
Had this been in Sweden. The man who defended himself and his belongings would've been jailed, forced to pay a huge fine to the thief. And the thief would've gotten little to no punishment.

Hope the thief dies or becomes crippled for life. Scumbag.
Same thing in America, actually.

I've been told by a police officer that if someone breaks into your house and you shoot them, empty the entire clip into them to make sure they die. If they survive, they can sue you for everything you own. If they break into your house.
if you do kill them, make sure there back isnt turned to you and they die in one room, otherwise you can get charged worse because you killed them after they had forfeited and tried to run.

^=ash=^

Sep 23, 2009
Cousin_IT said:
Why was the burgled person carrying a knife with them?
He probably has knives in his house, where he was when he got burgled.

EDIT: Misread article, perhaps his job involves him carrying a boxcutter or multi-tool.

OT: Good for the victim, hopefully he doesn't face jail time for defending his stuff.

Slaanesh

Aug 1, 2011
Stabbing the burglar? Seriously? What is this world coming to? If I were in this situation, I'd disarm him, strip him naked, then draw him. Nobody gets hurt, burglar goes to jail, and I have a nude portrait of a man who tried to steal my stuff.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
PaulH said:
Be honest with yourselves, it's an overetly violent act ... one that has more than enough proof that it was not simply a matter of self-defence either, but pure vengeance for someone taking something of negligible worth. Question remains how stable the individual is, and wohether he can be trusted not to do something like this o0ver a sandwich, or because someone double parked him.
you've never been a victim of theft have you? cause that's what it sounds like.

as some one who has had property stolen from them, let me enlighten you to something.

its not about how much the items that where stolen/attempted to steal, cost. its about being violated, some one broke into YOUR home, took YOUR things, and, in some cases a removed a feeling of safety. after all just because they took 'things' this time, what about next time? they might decide to do worse.

its better when something like this happens since jail clearly doesn't scare them

hooksashands

Apr 11, 2010
snakeakaossi said:
Dear Escapist,

This is NOT gaming news. This Xbox just happened to be at the crime scene. It might have been a reason to burgle the place, but this news does not trigger a discussion about gaming. If it were a VCR, the article wouldn't even be considered, but the gist would still be the same.

I visit this site to read about my anticipated games and the whole gaming community around it. It's this kind of articles I try to get away from when I visit sites like the Escapist.

I am all for a good discussion and I already see a healthy one blossoming right here, but please keep news like this restricted to the forums and do not put it in your official news, it just looks unprofessional.
I agree with this to some extent, because we had an article 2 months back about a kid being sodomized with a wiimote. Point being: If it had been any other object, the story wouldn't have even made it to our news room.

However, I argue that this story IS relevant to gaming. It shows just how far certain gamers will go to reclaim their stolen stuff, and that they are a force to be reckoned with when burglarized. True, if the stolen items had only been a TV and DVD player, then it wouldn't have been game-related, but it's still great to hear about people with the same hobby as you kicking ass.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Hey people, wanna know something else? It gets worse for the victim.

If your property gets robbed twice, your insurance company will drop you because you've then become a high-risk case.

If they don't drop you and you get burglarized a third time they can investigate you for fraud.

I don't get it, why is it that people who clearly have no respect for the law still expect to be defended by said laws? Shouldn't they LOSE some of their rights?

I say we need to go back to the old testament on crime. People break the laws because they can get away with it AND THEN they can sue the person they burglarized. That needs to stop. Sure the whole eye for an eye thing didn't deter crime, but at least it gave the victims some closure.

BrionJames

Jul 8, 2009
PaulH said:
Sentox6 said:
Please, do share this evidence to which you are apparently (quite solely) privy.
Because the story doesn't add up. The man was confronted in the foyer, when a knife was drawn. The resident just so happened to have a knife on him. In which case the fight proceeded outside (where the police had intercepted the pair) with the man not incurring any significant injuries (or atleast none requiring medical aid) whilst the thief ends up stabbed multiple times.

So let's say the thief engaged the resident in the foyer and was stabbed there. Evidently then, somehow the fight proceeded onto the street where he was stabbed multiple times whilst the resident defended himself?

Or the more likely ... thief draws a knife hoping to intimidate the individual, the resident draws a knife himself. In which case the thief attempts to flee and is chased down on the streret and stabbed multiple times. Of which of those two stories makes more sense? It also doesn't sound like a case of self defence either...

In either scenario, there is an adequate case to be made that the thief was beaten and the resident could have escaped unharmed.

It sounds like an act of vengeance and impassioned crime. And B: your rationalisation before makes a case for vigilantism, which I willnever endorse because it has -never worked-. The law exists to protect all it's members of society, and the second we start using the law as a weapon rather than a shield first and foremost we degenerate as a culture and we can kiss our civility goodbye.
I see your point. Without actually being at the scene at the time of the occurrence we can only speculate as to what happened. As most people have stated, our right in America is to defend ourselves and our property. There are specific laws pertaining to how we treat a criminal who has either A) broken into our house; or B) Stolen something of ours and has been caught in the act. In either of those cases, I feel the most rational thing to do is to contact the authorities first, confront him, and if he won't relinquish what he stole, then stop him. If he threatens you with bodily harm and/or attacks you, your perfectly well within your rights to defend yourself by any means necessary.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
A man who will straight up shiv someone for stealing his games? Gotta respect that!
Or not. I do, but i just love it when crappy criminals get the ever loving shit beaten out of them by the victim.