Thief PC Requirements Revealed

MarlaDesat

Aug 22, 2013
Thief PC Requirements Revealed

Eidos Montreal has revealed the PC system requirements for the upcoming Thief reboot.

With just over five weeks left until release, Eidos Montreal has revealed the PC system requirements for Thief. The reboot of the Thief series and the return of Master Thief Garret has evoked strong reactions from fans of the series. Negative feedback about quick time events in the game led Eidos to was also cut [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129666-Thief-Ditches-Quick-Time-Events-After-Negative-Feedback] after negative fan feedback, replaced with using stolen gold to purchase tools to make Garrett stealthier or deadlier. The baseline requirements the game aren't outrageous, but the recommended specs show that Thief might tax older CPUs and GPUs.

According to the developer, the system requirements are:
Minimum System Requirements
CPU: High-performance dual core CPU or quad core CPU
RAM: 4 GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 4800 series / Nvidia GTS 250
DirectX: DirectX 10
HDD/SSD: 20 GB

Recommended Specs
CPU: AMD FX 8000 series or better / Intel i7 Quad Core CPU
RAM: 4+ GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD / R9 series or better / Nvidia GTX 660 series or better
DirectX: DirectX 11

With the game's hardware requirements revealed, how does your PC stack up? Personally, Thief looks like the game that will finally force me to toss out my old CPU and commit to a full PC overhaul. Thief comes out February 25 for PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PlayStation 3, and PlayStation 4.

Source: Eidos Montreal [http://community.eidosmontreal.com/blogs/Thief-PC-Requirements]

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
I am a little under the recommended specs but I will have to wait to see if I want to play it. I know they have tried to fix the things many people didn't like b I will wait for a review that compares this the thief DS and thief 2. If DS is seen as better than the new one I will pass.
No point upgrading for a game you might never buy.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
While I know my PC can definitely run this thing....I'm still getting it for the PS4. Just for sheer simplicities sake and less case kicking obliterating scenarios.

1Life0Continues

Not a Gamer, I Just Play Games
Jul 8, 2013
Oh hey look, my computer can't run it.
That's good, now I have another excuse not to play it that isn't 'I just don't want Garret The Master Emo.'

Nope, don't like the design. Don't trust Eidos not to balls it up and make it a hand holding action fest.
But then, I'm a pessimistic cynic.

ClockworkUniverse

Nov 15, 2012
Given that the game is out in a month and that they were still trying to decide on major core mechanics last month, I can't say I have high hopes for it.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Remember when requirements / recommendations meant you could just check if your numbers were at or higher than the listed numbers?

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Yeah, I don't think I need an i7 to run this at maxxed settings. My i5 OC'ed to 4.5Ghz will do just fine.

I'm quite surprised the recommended requirements aren't higher. 4 GB seems an awful small ammount, I would of expected at least 6-8.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I fall at the first hurdle, my OS can't handle it.
Minimum System Requirements

Using windows XP, fuck

CPU: High-performance dual core CPU or quad core CPU
2.61Ghz AMD quad core, might cut it

RAM: 4 GB
that's all my RAM

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 4800 series / Nvidia GTS 250
Just upgraded from a 4870 so yay

DirectX: DirectX 10
DirectX 9 for all my games

Easily done

Matthi205

Mar 8, 2012
IF they managed to 8-thread their engine (which I doubt, as it presents some significant challenges), then an i7 will present a 10% to 15% edge over an i5, while an AMD FX-8350 should destroy the i5 in benchmarks. I'm willing to bet, however, that that is not the case and that the game is just not optimized and runs like ass. Seeing as it's due in a month, I'm also willing to bet that it'll be a buggy mess.

Charcharo: possible, seeing as 900p is still below the 2MP mark that 1920x1080 represents. If you go over 1920x1080, 2560x1440 is 4MP, and 3840x2160 is 8MP. Those, while not LOOKING like much more at first glance, require a significant amount of graphics horsepower. Also a thing to consider is the framerate. With an HD7790, you'll most likely get a playable 30 frames per second, but not the 60 frames per second you'll usually want to hit for nice and smooth gameplay.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
CrossLOPER said:
MarlaDesat said:
Intel i7 Quad Core CPU
I would love to hear their explanation as to why hyper-threading is required.
It's ironic, given that (if I recall correctly) the old Thief games had serious problems with multiple processors.

Pyrian said:
Remember when requirements / recommendations meant you could just check if your numbers were at or higher than the listed numbers?
This drives me nuts too. You'd think people who design computers would like clarity.

My machine's almost certainly not up to snuff...but then, I've been thinking about getting (or maybe even learning to build) a new desktop machine. Not that big a rush though, given my distaste for many of the needless changes they seem to have made.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
CrossLOPER said:
MarlaDesat said:
Intel i7 Quad Core CPU
I suspect like most pc games it will only have two threads but two i7 cores have more grunt than two i3 cores. I guess that you could get the best performance from a high clock speed i5 but writing that in the spec would get long winded and complicated. You can often get the best from results from a high clock speed i5 than a lower speed i7, Arma 3 and the last two outings from the total war series spring to mind.

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
CrossLOPER said:
MarlaDesat said:
Intel i7 Quad Core CPU
It's possible they're disregarding hyperthreading and just purely looking at raw CPU power. Even without hyperthreating i7s are slightly ahead of i5s in terms of raw processing power so it's possible they just looked up cpu speed and said "yeah this is close enough" without thinking about ramifications like hyperthreading.

I wonder which generation of i7s they're talking about though. Mine's an i5 Ivy Bridge (gen3) which is more powerful than an i7 Sandy Bridge (gen2), to just say "an i7" and expect it to be a blanket statement is rather misleading.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Deshin said:
To just say "an i7" and expect it to be a blanket statement is rather misleading.
It's as much of a mess as i expect the game to be. it's a load of balls.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I guess they're using Bioshock Infinite's version of the Unreal Engine 3, the higher specs are maybe just for tessalation and antialiasing, so I guess it'll look and perform as good as Bioshock Infinite did on my PC :)

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
So it's another poorly optimised Next-Gen port?

Colour me surprised.

I mean, my CPU isn't that great (i5 3470) but paired with a GTX 670, it can run Planetside 2, on 1080p at high settings(all sliders set to high, SSAO, fog shadows, no vsync) at 60fps, which is a game of a massive scale.

They have some balls for listing the recommended specs as an i7, considering the fact that the i5 series trounce any AMD cpu, and I seriously doubt that the game will be that much of a hog considering it's a first person action game with stealth elements.

Because that is what it is, I do not believe that this game will not go the way of Hitman Absolution.