Thief PC Requirements Revealed

thewatergamer

Aug 4, 2012
Ok my PC can run it, not sure if it will be good or not, i'll wait and see what Yahtzee says about it before I even consider buying it

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011

It's concerning how they feel it needs an i7 for "recommended" specs though, you have to wonder if its going to be one of those horribly optimised games. We haven't had enough of those lately or anything...

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
I'll wait til the game comes out and then I'll read the forums. MGR: Revengeance's specs showed over 20 GB space required. The majority of that was uncompressed cutscene...

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
My PC just about hits the recommended in most areas.

Hopefully I'll have a nice 60fps at high settings but I guess I'll have to turn down a few things to make that happen. And screw playing at 30fps anymore.

This is all if I even get the game, I'll wait for some reviews I think.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
I guess I'll find out when/if I pick it up. At this point my computer is showing its age but even for games where I don't quit hit the recommended specs they run fine on the default settings (e.g. Tomb Raider or Bioshock: Infinite). While for some games I meet or exceed the recommended specs and the games run like ass or not at all (Witcher was playable-ish; Witcher 2 is not).

Ryan Hughes

Jul 10, 2012
DarkhoIlow said:
Yeah, I don't think I need an i7 to run this at maxxed settings. My i5 OC'ed to 4.5Ghz will do just fine.

I'm quite surprised the recommended requirements aren't higher. 4 GB seems an awful small ammount, I would of expected at least 6-8.
Yeah, you should do just fine.

Matthi205 said:
IF they managed to 8-thread their engine (which I doubt, as it presents some significant challenges), then an i7 will present a 10% to 15% edge over an i5, while an AMD FX-8350 should destroy the i5 in benchmarks. I'm willing to bet, however, that that is not the case and that the game is just not optimized and runs like ass. Seeing as it's due in a month, I'm also willing to bet that it'll be a buggy mess.

Charcharo: possible, seeing as 900p is still below the 2MP mark that 1920x1080 represents. If you go over 1920x1080, 2560x1440 is 4MP, and 3840x2160 is 8MP. Those, while not LOOKING like much more at first glance, require a significant amount of graphics horsepower. Also a thing to consider is the framerate. With an HD7790, you'll most likely get a playable 30 frames per second, but not the 60 frames per second you'll usually want to hit for nice and smooth gameplay.
albino boo said:
CrossLOPER said:
MarlaDesat said:
Intel i7 Quad Core CPU
I would love to hear their explanation as to why hyper-threading is required.
I suspect like most pc games it will only have two threads but two i7 cores have more grunt than two i3 cores. I guess that you could get the best performance from a high clock speed i5 but writing that in the spec would get long winded and complicated. You can often get the best from results from a high clock speed i5 than a lower speed i7, Arma 3 and the last two outings from the total war series spring to mind.
No, it is just poorly optimized, then. Look, few people -even hardcore PC gamers- upgrade their CPU that often. They likely wanted to cut out first-gen i5s from the recommended specs, but were too lazy to give a more detailed req sheet. Some of the early "core" series motherboards were also compatible with DDR2 RAM, so they likely did not want an i5 with 800 speed RAM on their recommended specs.

Still, listing the i7 as recommended is simply ridiculous, and shows a lack of optimization. No i7 gives any real gaming advantage over a same-gen i5, except perhaps 2-4 frames/sec in heavy loads. i7s are designed for heavy threading or multitasking, with workstation or graphic design loads. They are not designed for gaming use so much as light industry or other applications.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Ryan Hughes said:
No i7 gives any real gaming advantage over a same-gen i5.
In some cases even the i5 doesn't give all that much extra performance per £££, in games like Assassin's Creed 4 benchmarks [http://www.hardwarepal.com/assassins-creed-4-black-flag-benchmark-cpu-gpu/8/] show only a tiny increase in performance with the i5 and i7 over the i3 (all Haswell).

Its only in more cpu intensive multiplayer games you would really notice any improvement, games that just look pretty like Crysis 3, Ass Creed and probably Thief 4 as well need a hefty GPU and the CPU takes a backseat.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
CPU: AMD FX 8000 series or better / Intel i7 Quad Core CPU
Sooooooo an i7 ultra low cloacked will do better then i5 at 3.2 GHz because...... hyperthreading? Shove your virtual cores where even Garrett can't steal them.

OT: My pc can definitely run this. Only time I'm under the recommended specs is GTX 750M...

The_Longier

Jan 18, 2014
Im just under on the recommended spec cause of My 6970 Oh well, I think I'll wait and upgrade later and not buy the game till then.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
My computer passes the recommended.
CPU: I7-3770
RAM: 16 GBs
GPU: Nvidia GTX 760

It does look fun and I will probably pick it up at some point. Though I'll probably wait for it to go on sale before I get it.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
DarkhoIlow said:
Yeah, I don't think I need an i7 to run this at maxxed settings. My i5 OC'ed to 4.5Ghz will do just fine.

I'm quite surprised the recommended requirements aren't higher. 4 GB seems an awful small ammount, I would of expected at least 6-8.
It's a 32 bit program I'd guess, 32bit software can only read and use 4GB regardless of how much you have in the computer.

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
Ok, I'm safe here

CPU: High-performance dual core CPU or quad core CPU
Intel i3? I have no idea what that means

RAM: 4 GB
I have 3GB...

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 4800 series / Nvidia GTS 250
GeForce GT 240, does that mean I fail?

DirectX: DirectX 10
What even is this?

HDD/SSD: 20 GB
Well I don't have a SSD but at least I have plenty of space to spare!

So, I'm guessing I probably wouldn't be able to play this. And that I have no knowledge whatsoever of computer firmware/hardware, huh.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
my current system cant handle even the minimum specs, however the system i plan to buy next month and got most of the money for already will outperform recommended by a generation. Good, means i can once again use it for 5 years without trouble and run anything i want.

Xan Krieger said:
I fall at the first hurdle, my OS can't handle it.
Minimum System Requirements

Using windows XP, fuck
you really want to upgrade from XP if you are using your PC for gaming. Dont get me wrong, i love XP and i still thing it was the best looking OS ever made, but it simply is no longer supported. It cant do DirectX 10-11.1. This is why this game cannot run on XP - it no logner supports the legacy DirectX 9 and runs on a more powerful 11 variant (hence why vista upgrade packet, as pre-upgrade vista can only run 10). and more games are going this way. Most games released from now will no longer support XP i fear so you really should think about upgrading. I suggest 7, takes a while to get used to but its quite comfortable. I dont suggest 8, rather wait for 9 instead as that seems to be "8 except fixed".
Not to mention most hardware manufacturers dropped driver support for XP quite a while ago.

Snowbell said:
Ok, I'm safe here

CPU: High-performance dual core CPU or quad core CPU
Intel i3? I have no idea what that means

RAM: 4 GB
I have 3GB...

Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 4800 series / Nvidia GTS 250
GeForce GT 240, does that mean I fail?

DirectX: DirectX 10
What even is this?

HDD/SSD: 20 GB
Well I don't have a SSD but at least I have plenty of space to spare!

So, I'm guessing I probably wouldn't be able to play this. And that I have no knowledge whatsoever of computer firmware/hardware, huh.
Ill try to provide some explanation.
i3 is a new like of Intel CPUs that are pretty much controlling the market (well i3/i5/i7). They use different architecture which allows them to actually do more while remaining at same power. i3 is the dualcore variant, i5 is quad-core variant and i7 is 6-8 cores usually. thing to notice about the "i" variant is that they are more pwoerful than regualr cores, meaning for example a i3 with 2 cores would actually work as fast as 3 regular cores, and due to less number of cores its easier to code for. AMD only solution was to increase amount of cores (you can find 16 core CPUs from them), which didnt work that well since noone wanted to program for so many cores. the i generations also offer variuos increase (and problems) but i wont get into that now)
tl;dr you need a powerful CPU for that, preferably intel one.

3 GB of ram likely wont be enough and cause you problems, thought if it is a 32 bit program (can maximum use 3.6 GB due to technical limitation) you may not be in that bad of a shape here.

Sadly yes, that means you fail as far as graphical card requirement goes. But do not despare, requirements are sometimes not precise and the difference isnt that big, so it may just run afterall.

directx is, to put simply, a helper program. You said you are good in OS department so you will have directx 11+ very likely already, which supports diretx 10 programs (the game likely runs both anyway). the people that have to worry about that are people running XP or old Vista versions.

You dont NEED a SSD to run any game. SSD will make game load faster and textures stutter less in some games, but every game is definatelly playable on a HDD.