Thing normal people do that you dont

Siyano

May 9, 2020
Country
Canada
A simple thread of things you could say are "unique" that seem normal for most people but you dont do, and an explanation of why

1) reads book. Mostly because of ADHD, i cant seem to be able to just read a book, i just cant, i usually just "learn" or get story from visual media (movies or tv shows) and some vulgarisation videos to listen.

2) listen to music. I think that usually the weirdest reaction I get when I say i don't. Similar to my 1) i just cant seem to hook on listening to music, either its disturbs my concentration or just becomes background noise. Mainly because no matter after say 10 or so tunes in the same genre, its just blend in. Also because i hate having tunes memorized 🙄

3) harsh "bitter" taste, coffee, beer, dark chocolate. I cant manage to habit my palet to them.

4) cant build habits easily. Basically again because of adhd, most of my habits have to get to the point of OCD and very few things get there. Even after taking pill everyday for now 2-3 years i still can easily forget them (weirdly enough)

I guess that the first few I can think out
What about you peoples?
🤔

Reactions: Xprimentyl

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Have a social media account of any kind, and caring about what complete strangers have to say about random topics. Also care at all, even in the slightest, about what a celebrity has to say about the current crisis. (As an aside can we all admit celebrity culture is incredibly creepy? Like people waiting outside someone's house all day to take their picture, and people practically throwing themselves at the feet of celebs, looking for validation through the approval of someone famous? Just fucking creepy)

Also also, am I the only fucking millennial who doesn't care what their ex is doing? All of my friends, guy, gal, or other, life long friend, school friend, work friend, warhammer friend, discord/online friends, friends of friends, all of them "keep tabs" on their exes, see what they're doing, who they're dating, how their career and life is, if they got fat, married, moved, etc...and they all act as if that's a totally normal thing, and find it incredibly weird that like I have no idea what's going on with my ex who dumped me ten years ago. No joke someone will ask "So how is X doing?" "Fuck should I know? We haven't been dating for ten years." "But you still google her, right? You still follow her twitter and facebook?" "No, we're not together anymore, and haven't been for ten years. She's not part of my life anymore."
Fucking baffles me, and I think this ties back into celeb culture, how invested people are in the lives of other people who don't interact with you.

Reactions: Drathnoxis

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
...all of them "keep tabs" on their exes, see what they're doing, who they're dating, how their career and life is, if they got fat, married, moved, etc...
Of course you want to "keep tabs" on your exes, so that you can see how horribly they're doing now that they don't have a wonderful person like you in their lives, and justify your rants as to how wrong they were to abandon you! How else does anyone fill the vacuum of meaning in their lives in an increasingly disconnected and indifferent world?!

Reactions: SilentPony

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Have a social media account of any kind, and caring about what complete strangers have to say about random topics. Also care at all, even in the slightest, about what a celebrity has to say about the current crisis. (As an aside can we all admit celebrity culture is incredibly creepy? Like people waiting outside someone's house all day to take their picture, and people practically throwing themselves at the feet of celebs, looking for validation through the approval of someone famous? Just fucking creepy)

Also also, am I the only fucking millennial who doesn't care what their ex is doing? All of my friends, guy, gal, or other, life long friend, school friend, work friend, warhammer friend, discord/online friends, friends of friends, all of them "keep tabs" on their exes, see what they're doing, who they're dating, how their career and life is, if they got fat, married, moved, etc...and they all act as if that's a totally normal thing, and find it incredibly weird that like I have no idea what's going on with my ex who dumped me ten years ago. No joke someone will ask "So how is X doing?" "Fuck should I know? We haven't been dating for ten years." "But you still google her, right? You still follow her twitter and facebook?" "No, we're not together anymore, and haven't been for ten years. She's not part of my life anymore."
Fucking baffles me, and I think this ties back into celeb culture, how invested people are in the lives of other people who don't interact with you.
Well, some breakups can be amicable enough that the pair stay in touch as friends or some such. I do agree though that simply following someone like that to presumably justify that you were the good guy/gal in the breakup is fucking deranged.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Also also, am I the only fucking millennial who doesn't care what their ex is doing? All of my friends, guy, gal, or other, life long friend, school friend, work friend, warhammer friend, discord/online friends, friends of friends, all of them "keep tabs" on their exes, see what they're doing, who they're dating, how their career and life is, if they got fat, married, moved, etc...and they all act as if that's a totally normal thing, and find it incredibly weird that like I have no idea what's going on with my ex who dumped me ten years ago.
Fucking weird. I am in contact with precisely zero of my exes.

I think possibly a reason for that is that a) I'm not terribly good at keeping in touch with people and b) when I think back on my past lovers, much as I liked them, I didn't have that many interests in common with them: once the relationship failed, there wasn't much reason to stay in contact. Water under the bridge, move on.

That said, I am curious about various people I used to know. Occasionally, I'll be thinking about something, trip down nostalgia late, and remember someone and wonder "What happened to them?" That does include exes. Keeping tabs on them however is... kinda stalkery.

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Of course you want to "keep tabs" on your exes, so that you can see how horribly they're doing now that they don't have a wonderful person like you in their lives, and justify your rants as to how wrong they were to abandon you! How else does anyone fill the vacuum of meaning in their lives in an increasingly disconnected and indifferent world?!
Okay so love the comment, love the idea part of keeping tabs with an ex is unresolved feelings. I wont lie that I hated being dumped, but the feelings are pretty well expressed from both parties.
But I do want to ask "increasingly disconnected and indifferent world"...is it though? I know the internet is a double edged sword, sure, and people are more aware of people they disagree with than ever. But is the world worse, or simply more honest? Like do you or I feel more disconnected from some Indian kid who doesn't live Marvel movies versus someone a hundred years ago from Ohio who has never even seen an Indian kid?
Like Im wondering if the world is becoming more indifferent, or if it was always indifferent and we're just starting to realize that more? 30 years ago you couldn't see every thought your racist uncle had on "the blacks" and "the Jews" every single day, and now you can. But 30 years ago he still had those thoughts, you were still very disconnected from him, you just didn't have the play-by-play replay.

So are we worse than ever before, or did we all take red pill with technology? Also I just want to clarify I by no means mean the "red pill" men's rights shit, I just mean the actual blue vs red pill metaphor.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Also care at all, even in the slightest, about what a celebrity has to say about the current crisis.
Eh, I think that one can be justified, in that that person might have a lot of influence and can make things better or worse. And it might be time to rethink supporting them if they've chosen to make things worse.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I don't laugh like other people do. Y'know, that collective guffaw when someone in a group makes the slightest pun or joke? I don't get that. Something has to be insanely funny to me for me to laugh out loud, so when I'm with a group of friends or in public and see people belly laughing at the most basic shit, I'm confused: either they're faking it for the sake of community/tribalism, or my sense of humor is more, I dunno, complicated(?) than the average Joe's. That's not a boast, btw; I really wish I could find that kind of joy and laughter in the everyday; I just don't. And I DO have a sense of humor; I find a lot of stuff hilarious, but even then, I may not actually laugh out loud.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Wear whatever shoes I want. Flat and wide feet ensure that I have the hardest possible time choosing footwear.

Indulge in fan merchandise. When I was younger I'd wear a lot of graphic t-shirts (mainly Star Wars shirts), but I've really never understood things like posters, figurines, themed appliances, or any other collectibles. I'm into so many different media, but I don't feel the urge to consume anything only thematically related to said media.

This is kinda related my general desire to have the default option. I always get put off when using an alternative skin in a video game, or by custom flashing RGB set ups. Shit, I can't even decide on a profile picture. I have no idea why I feel like this, but at least it saves me from spending on even more shit.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
2) listen to music. I think that usually the weirdest reaction I get when I say i don't. Similar to my 1) i just cant seem to hook on listening to music, either its disturbs my concentration or just becomes background noise. Mainly because no matter after say 10 or so tunes in the same genre, its just blend in. Also because i hate having tunes memorized 🙄
I was the same way until I was about 12 years old. I never got into listening to the radio or popular music in general, so I just figured music was something I didn't like. Then I got exposed to the piano, specifically the demo tune on a cheap keyboard my dad's friend was pretending to play; I was captivated by what I thought he was actually playing. Fast forward to Christmas of that year, and my dad's friend gifted me that keyboard saying Jesus came to him in a dream and told him to give it to me.

I started playing it immediately and found I actually had a really strong ear and was playing remedial versions of songs I'd heard all my life by said ear. My parents then put me in piano lessons where I learned to read music. I still hadn't found music I liked, though. Then I found Yanni. One of his albums is titled "Keys To Imagination," and that's exactly what his music did, unlocked my imagination and passion for music.

I've since outgrown Yanni a bit personally as my tastes have changed, but music is probably the most precious thing in my life. I'm constantly tapping my fingers playing an imaginary piano or making beats with my knuckles or beat boxing to the rhythm of a car alarm or police siren. I feel music everywhere.

I say all that to say, I'm 100% confident there's something musical out there for everyone; I hope you find yours one day.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Wear whatever shoes I want. Flat and wide feet ensure that I have the hardest possible time choosing footwear.
Same. I have a flat, wide foot, and finding well-fitting shoes is a chore, so when I do find a pair I like, I tend to wear them until they die. I have one pair of shoes at any given time. Never understood the whole "sneaker head" culture, people who own dozens of pairs of shoes. Why? You've only got two feet!

And to expound on that idea, fashion in general. I tell everyone I can't wait until we culturally evolve to the point of Start Trek where everyone just has a closet full of dichromatic unitards. I don't like dressing up and I certainly don't like dressing to attract attention or to "look good" and peacocking. When I buy clothes, it is out of necessity, to cover my nakedness. I don't care about how much it costs, who makes it or how it looks on me. My uniform is jeans and a t-shirt; throw a quarter zip on there when it gets cold (I hate coats.) I do like t-shirts with funny or clever sayings on them, but other than that, monochrome and plain. I dated a girl once who loved to play dress up with me, picking out my outfits and showing me off, and I hated it. She took me to Nordstrom's, and had me spend almost $300 on a single outfit for pictures she wanted to take with me. I did it like an idiot, and ended up literally wearing those clothes that one time. That $300 could have dressed me for a decade by my standards.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Same. I have a flat, wide foot, and finding well-fitting shoes is a chore, so when I do find a pair I like, I tend to wear them until they die. I have one pair of shoes at any given time. Never understood the whole "sneaker head" culture, people who own dozens of pairs of shoes. Why? You've only got two feet!
I consider myself a "sneakerhead", but I prefer to just appreciate shoes rather than collect them. I will say though, the current sneaker world is fucking ridiculous right now with all the resale. Why you would spend literally thousands of dollars on a shoe some poor Chinese kid spent an hour making in a sweatshop is beyond me.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I consider myself a "sneakerhead", but I prefer to just appreciate shoes rather than collect them. I will say though, the current sneaker world is fucking ridiculous right now with all the resale. Why you would spend literally thousands of dollars on a shoe some poor Chinese kid spent an hour making in a sweatshop is beyond me.
When it comes to shoes, they are literally of least interest to me in terms of fashion. Their function is to keep your bare feet off the ground; I don't care what they look like. Don't get me wrong; aesthetically, some look better than others, but NONE merit a price tag over $50-$60; I don't care what brand or who's endorsing them. I was the kid who never even dreamed of paying $150 for the latest Jordans, and my parents were very grateful for that, never having to splurge exorbitant amounts on shit that's purpose was literally to touch the filthy ground.

We watch The Price Is Right every morning, and it never ceases to amaze me when designer shoes show up as a prize; it'll be like four pairs of shoes and a purse, and the price is over $3,000. Are you fucking kidding me? Who goes out and pays to walk on $3,000? And then have the gall to get mad when they get dirty or scuffed?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Care about Halloween Costumes. I don't care if other people want to dress up, but I just can't muster the effort to care. Apparently that makes me weird to go to a party on halloween and not dress up in any way(because I don't want to make or rent a costume). Then again, I don't go to halloween parties anymore so I guess I solved the problem. It does feel like a damned if you do and damned if you don't with some people because they get annoyed if you don't want to attend their party and then they get mad if you don't dress up. Maybe the issue is that I don't particularly care for parties in general and costumes are a secondary annoyance here.

Apparently I wear my wristwatch wrong. I grew up wearing it on my dominant hand. Apparently you're supposed to wear it on your off hand. Nobody told me this growing up and by the time I learned this was a thing it's too ingrained a habit to want to change what's been working perfectly well.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Care about Halloween Costumes. I don't care if other people want to dress up, but I just can't muster the effort to care. Apparently that makes me weird to go to a party on halloween and not dress up in any way(because I don't want to make or rent a costume). Then again, I don't go to halloween parties anymore so I guess I solved the problem. It does feel like a damned if you do and damned if you don't with some people because they get annoyed if you don't want to attend their party and then they get mad if you don't dress up. Maybe the issue is that I don't particularly care for parties in general and costumes are a secondary annoyance here.
Yeah, I outgrew Halloween pretty early. I think it was the year that my dog ate all of my candy whilst I was at school the day after trick-or-treating; I just stopped caring at like the age of 10. I've dressed up a few times for social gatherings since, but my effort has been minimal. I think the last time, I just put in contact lenses that whited out my eyes, and that was several years ago.

Apparently I wear my wristwatch wrong. I grew up wearing it on my dominant hand. Apparently you're supposed to wear it on your off hand. Nobody told me this growing up and by the time I learned this was a thing it's too ingrained a habit to want to change what's been working perfectly well.
I've known about the faux pax of wearing your watch on your right wrist, but never knew it had anything to do with the "correct" wrist being the non-dominant hand. But I've not worn a watch in years, so it hasn't affected me. Actually, if anything, I find wrist watches to be quite an outdated idea in general, the idea of putting on an accessory that serves the sole purpose of telling you what a glance in any cardinal direction [in most cases] can tell you. There are four clocks in my kitchen alone, and my cell phone is in my pocket constantly; there's no real convenience having the time on my wrist. The again, I'm not that important and my schedule is pretty sparse, so maybe that convenience is lost on me.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
Amazon prime, I still buy things on Amazon, but I don't click the fastest shipping method. It's better for the environment.

I also read journal articles vs reading books.

I also like to read the opposing side. I have read liberal, neoliberal, communist, socially conservative, and libertarian news articles, and tldrs. I have a subscription to the Atlantic(neoliberal), Washington Post(fiscal conservative to neoliberal), Wall Street Journal(socially conservative, and libertarian), New York Post(neoliberal to liberal). I watch videos of people who I disagree with on video games like various video game femnists.

I also raise my hand during class discussions, unlike my classmates who just want to go back to their dorms/homes/whatever.

Reactions: Dalisclock