Things about skyrim that worry you?

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Imbechile said:
jboking said:
I never claimed it wasn't. Simply pointed out that you couldn't know.
I've seen the videos. I don't know if it will be good on consoles, but on the PC it will be as i said "absolutly god-awful".
And you know this thing that is heavily dependent on how the game responds to the player's input by having watched a video. Brilliant!

seriously though, from what I've seen, it's not terribly different from oblivion or morrowind in the "swing sword, no real weight to it, do damage" aspect. Of course, if you didn't like the previous games, I don't know why this would worry you about skyrim, as opposed to being something you expected.
jboking said:
Check my quote. Wasn't talking about the characters 'looking good' was talking about their movement.
Check my text.Wasn't talking about the characters 'looking bad' was talking about their movement.
I posted a video up early in the thread where you see plenty of npc's and their movement looks perfectly fine to me. However, if you would like to define what it is that makes the animation bad, I'd love to hear it.
jboking said:
Let me make it a bit easier to understand. What did they remove? Why were those things needed in any way?
They removed some skills and removed the character classes. They also brought the fucking compass and quest arrows along the way.
You seemed to have done the first half of the request, but not the second. I found the character class I made in oblivion to be entirely secondary to the experience, especially in the late game. By the time I was finishing up what quests I was interested in, every skill of note was already so high that my 'major and minor' skills, given my class, meant nothing. Also, they removed a skill, but allocated all of it's spells to other skills. I don't see that as bad.

jboking

Oct 10, 2008
Zhukov said:
jboking said:
As you can see, you don't zoom-in on the character, your camera does center them, though. However, once they start talking, you can see that you can move away. You can also see how that person is still doing their work as you talk to them. Oh, and he blinks a few times, if that was a big deal for you.

The joy of sources!
Yup, that was the exact scene I was thinking of.

Wide-eyed, unblinking eye-lock. It looks bloody bizarre and distinctly unnatural. The fact that he continues with his work does not help. When a person is having a conversation, they do not work with their hands while maintaining constant eye-contact.

However, having watching it again, I admit that it's a definite improvement on Fallout 3's setup.
He does blink in that video, and when you move from being directly in front of him, he stops focusing on you. It doesn't look unnatural to me, at least not to the degree you seemed to be stressing earlier. Side note, there are things I can do with my hands without looking, just saying.

It is a great improvement over fallout 3.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
I'm worried that the Main Quest won't be compelling enough.
I don't want it all to be a drawn out Fetch-quest like Oblivion.

superdevildude85

Aug 4, 2011
I never played oblivion.

This Cast button thing is a little strange sounding to me, but you can block while casting if you use a shield on one hand and a spell on the other, so that's okay.

Hope the werewolves are actually in there, I've seen hopeful screenshots, but the fact they denied it makes me sad. Hopefully they were keeping a surprise.

dzikki

Apr 26, 2011
That it's made by Bethesda, after year 2005, which practically quarantees that it's gonna be big, but empty and placed on soooo wrong side of the uncanny valley.

Raven_Operative

Dec 21, 2010
Biggest Worry: Telepathic Guards.

I know they have done some steps to remedy this, but if a citizen reaches a guard 2 seconds before I kill them will the entire town home in on me?

At least I can hideout in another city... thank god for that.

Ryuu814

Feb 25, 2010
People are worried about lack of classes..
...they do realise the elder scrolls series never had classes right? In a way they did with major skills and minor skills but they were just loose things to define your character.

I personally am looking forward to it but I hope they don't screw up the Dual-Wielding system. My first play-through demands it!

But you know what I worry about...
The glitches and bugs in Skyrim not being humerous. Some glitches and bugs are just damn right hilarious!

Stew Coard

Aug 14, 2011
my only big worry is that the romance system would get screwed up somehow, which is a pretty minor thing in a game like skyrim

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
Fox KITSUNE said:
Not Really a Worry but more of a Deep thought,

If there are Vampires in the game, are there Werewolves? I mean you can't have one without the other, so it only seems natural to think and wonder.
I've made a topic you may have interest in...

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.321278-Leaked-Skyrim-screenshots-seem-to-confirm-werewolves#13136517

I'm not sure how to just hyperlink it to a piece of custom text, so there.

That's my biggest fear partially soothed.

cybran

Jun 15, 2010
Braedan said:
I was slightly worried that the UI would be "consoley" and massive, causing my eyes to bleed, but I assume if it is there will be mods to fix it like with Oblivion.

Also I'm worried that the 3rd person finisher sequences won't be able to be turned off. It's really fucking jarring to be playing a game like Skyrim and get jerked out of first person perspective to watch my character kill someone, then jump back in to first person. It would make me loose track of all the enemies around me. And it looks WAY cooler to see my own arms reach out and jab my sword through someone's back. I mean, look at the game-play demo, 3rd person kills looked dumb, while 1st person kills gave me a semi.
Todd Howard said the Pc interface will be different from the consoles.

So we dont know what the PC interface looks like yet since all demos have been from xbox.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Hunter65416 said:
-From the videos ive seen the majority of the environments seem a bit grey and gritty compared to the lush green environments i loved in oblivion
That is what worries me most. The video of the first 20 minutes looked so grey, empty and dreary. I loved Oblivion's forest and I'm hoping for some more dense mountain forests in Skyrim.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I've got 4, or really 3 1/2 depending on you you see it.
1st is the character designs, one thing I REALLY noticed about the demo videos is that they barely spent any time showing how the NPCs (Especially the faces) looked up close. I'm genuinely afraid that they'll be like one of those Japanese androids, where they look great at a distance and in still pictures but once you actually see them in motion it's horrifying. Though they did seem to fix the ragdoll problem from Oblivion, which is really nice.

2nd is the guards, I know they've said alot about fixing this but I'm really worried that it'll still be a case of, "I commited that crime roughly 6 miles away from the nearest NPC, HOW ARE YOU ARRESTING ME?! Did a butterfly rat me out or something?" If they do nothing else, please let them fix this.

3rd is the infamous Dragons, one of the big things in the demo and the hype is that you can get jumped by a dragon pretty much anywhere. I'm just wondering how many times that "Well you just survived one dragon fight by the skin of your teeth, now how about another?" thing is gonna happen.

Finally 4 is like you, the killing moves, I just want to know how they're supposed to work. Do I control them with a well timed attack, do they happen automatically at high skill levels? It's more an annoyance then a real concern but still.

ComradeJim270

Nov 24, 2007
Rawne1980 said:
Nothing worries me.

If there is anything in the game I don't like I can mod it and change it around.
Not necessarily. If the story sucks, or the environments on the whole are boring and bland, or if the voice acting is still shitty, most if not all modders lack the resources to fix it. This is why I considered Oblivion a lost cause as far as the mod community picking up the slack left by Bethesda.

Of course, if you don't care about those things, you're probably right.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
ComradeJim270 said:
Rawne1980 said:
Nothing worries me.

If there is anything in the game I don't like I can mod it and change it around.
Not necessarily. If the story sucks, or the environments on the whole are boring and bland, or if the voice acting is still shitty, most if not all modders lack the resources to fix it. This is why I considered Oblivion a lost cause as far as the mod community picking up the slack left by Bethesda.

Of course, if you don't care about those things, you're probably right.
Which is why I said if there is anything I don't like I can mod it up. What I like and don't like is quite possibly vastly different to your likes and dislikes. I loved Oblivion for instance, prefer Morrowind but Oblivion was good.

If the story sucks that doesn't bother me, myself and other people add in quests of our own.

The environments can quite easily be changed, and have been in Oblivion up to Nehrim which is a total conversion.

But your point does lead me to something i've noticed recently that makes me giggle.

I've seen a few people who hated Morrowind and Oblivion yet are getting Skyrim and hoping it's vastly different....

It's a TES game, it's going to be roughly the same. Bathesda themselves have said more changed between Morrowind and Oblivion than between Oblivion and Skyrim. So we already know Skyrim is similar in a few ways to Oblivion.

So chances are, if people hated the previous 2 games then they will hate Skyrim.

You yourself stated you gave up on Oblivion due to bad story, environments and shitty voice acting. The environments and voice acting are similar in fashion to Oblivion, the story I can't comment on, haven't seen it yet.

But the videos of NPC all show them to be roughly on par with Oblivion for cheese effect.

PaganFury

Aug 31, 2011
Im worried that I won't leave my house much for a few weeks or that there won't be any mudcrab merchants other than that I'm very excited.

Kamelmann

Nov 26, 2008
My only concern is if theres no custom spells/spellmaking..

How am I to archmage it up if I cant do the classic overpowered '100% weakness to magic, weakness to fire, 20 fire damage to touch, 20 health damage, 1 second paralysis' spell of doomy doom doominess?

<__<

*ahem*

So long as I can turn invisible and sneak about.. it'll all be good.. I think.. hope.. pray..

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
I'm staying rather optimistic about Skyrim--I mean, it can't be worse than Oblivion, and Oblivion sucked me in for hundreds of hours.

If you have expectations, they might fail, but if you don't, you can enjoy the game for what it is and not for what it could have been.

Zinaxos

Feb 9, 2009
Fawxy said:
Nasty_Taco said:
The lack of Hand-to-Hand as a skill. I only used Hand-to-Hand. So now, I don't know what kind of character to make... It's sad.
Aww, don't be sad. Hand-to-hand is still in the game.

Khajiit have claw attacks, and Hand-To-Hand damage in combat is determined by the quality of gauntlets you're using.

Sure, it's no longer a skill, but it's still there.
Well, thank the Nine Divines for that. I guess I'll just have to get some stellar gauntlets.
I now have no worries about Skyrim.