Things everybody should know but for some reason, most don't.

Patrick Buck

Nov 14, 2011
Bvenged said:
Patrick Buck said:
ELCTea said:
Roggen Bread said:
Snip.

You should *NOT* give cats anything containing milk.
Such as cream, butter, joghurt or... erm... MILK!

Ffs, so many people are seriously risking their cat's health.
I've been giving my cat milk her whole life and she's now 17 (in cat years) i'm pretty sure she will outlive me!!
Yeah, Thats stupid. They can obviously take milk.
Know why?
THEY'RE MAMMALS.
We have two cats, one's 14, and the other one's 8, they both drink milk. And are healthy.
Do you own a cat? (Just wondering)
MANY cats are lactose intolerant and as adult mammals do not need it in their diet. Humans are the same story but most of us have built up a tolerance to cow milk by drinking it through our generations for thousands of years.

Give a cat cow milk [http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/humanfood.htm] and you increase the chance of them puking/crapping on your floor, basically.

Also; dogs are actually fatally intolerant to chocolate. Give your dog too much chocolate (which is only a few squares) and you will be poisoning it [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine_poisoning]. DO that for a few days and he'll be dead by the end of the week. It's worse for cats but cats, unlike dogs, don't eat food they dislike; and chocolate is a food many cats dislike whereas most dogs eat any food you give them.
A lactose intolerant Cat would probably die before it was diagnosed, seeing as it would drink milk as a kitten, so giving it to adult cats would be almost always safe.

Every person I know who owns a cat give's their cat milk, and all of them have lived a fairly long life.
Except the one's hit by cars, but that's a little different to the point.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
him over there said:
Popadoo said:
Black Holes are not some sort of hole in space and time. If somehow you magically were not effected by gravity, you could put your hand through a black hole, no problem. The black you see (or don't, relatively speaking) is just where the gravity reaches a point so strong light is pulled in, there is still stuff past that point, that orb of blackness, it's just impossible to get it out.
The REAL ''Black Hole'' is a singularity at the center of the orb of darkness that Black Holes are depicted as.
Also, they aren't some sort of monstrous demon travelling through space, eating up planets. They have the same mass as the core of the star they formed from, so if our Sun were to turn into one (which wouldn't happen, but bare with me) we would continue to orbit it, the only change would that we'd be plunged into darkness.
One question, doesn't something have to have mass to be affected by gravity? And as far as I know light has no mass which is why it can travel at light speed. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought black holes somehow had gravity so great that it sucked in time as well. I don't know a lot about astronomy so sorry if I'm rambling.

Anyway everyone should know that germs aren't all evil and that your body is attacking invaders. however not everything that is a bacterium exists to fuck you over and most are what is protecting you from foreign germs.

This is where relativity comes into play.
If something has mass, it has gravity. Anything. YOU have gravity, it's just very weak. It's why gravity is considered probably the weakest force, because something as massive as Earth can be overcome by the energy required to say, lift a rock.
Without getting too detailed, gravity is caused by disruptions in space-time (a sort of dimensional fabric) when there is mass. Light, like anything else, is effected by gravity. Light bends around things with high gravity, so we could see something behind the sun if the light passed close enough to the sun to be bent around in our direction. To learn more just do a little research into light bending due to gravity, and also photons.
As for swallowing time, take this into consideration. It's proven that the higher gravitational field you are in, the slower you pass through the dimension of time. That's why satellites in low gravity have to be reset everyday so your GPS isn't miles off-course. The singularity I mentioned, considering a singularity has ZERO diameter, should technically have infinite gravity, so inside that singularity time effectively stops.

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
I have a few to sort of 'vent' here, and yes I know most of them are probably petty, but this seemed like the place to write all of this.

*Walking really stupidly on a wet floor to 'avoid footprints' not only causes more noticable toe-prints (all your weight on your toes) it is also the quickest way to slip/trip/fall on your face.

*Knowing software doesn't make me the guy to fix hardware and vis versa.

*Arguing with someone who 'remains neutral' is a loss/tie no matter how hard you push. (only difference is if you walk away pissed off)

*Leaving a bathroom door ajar is the easiest way to show that it is vacant, aside from having a sign on the door.

And above ALL that I have listed here, this is the most MAJOR thing that ought to be common sense, but seems woefully underappreciated.

**If you get mad/stopped having fun, STOP PLAYING the game or take a BREAK, because vocalizing your anger over the mic or chatbar only serves to lose what little gamer-cred you had on the server in the first place. (It's only funny when ChoZo 'plays' mad)

RaffB

Jul 22, 2008
Qitz said:
The hell is this QI you people keep bringing up? It a UK show or something?

Another fun thing. Canada did actually help in WW2, they had Destroyers and Mine Sweepers involved in Normandy. Most people I tell that too are surprised.

Yeah, QI is a show made in the UK.

The whole point of it is to point out and discuss information like this, with a regular host (stephen fry), one regular guest (Alan Davies,who isn't always the brightest) and the other three guests being pulled from a string of comedians, TV personalities, actors and whatnot...

Pure brilliance, funny as all hell and the only show iv'e seen where the audience has scored more points than all the guests..

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
"Don't fuck with the people who handle your food." - Ryan Reynolds' character from Waiting...

Seriously, I apologized to a waitress once for not saying "please," and she answered "don't worry, you're not the rudest I've seen." What do these people go through? I would probably explode if I worked in a restaurant.

May 17, 2010
Vixxy said:
The saying is: 'couldn't care less', not 'could care less.'
Yeah, I don't mind if people say it wrong when they are talking face to face with someone as I constantly slur words and replace verbs with nouns like "I went running at the run" so that's fine but when they type it I raise my eyebrows.

Most of these seem to be related to social etiquette rather then obvious minutiae of social knowledge and things people do actually know but just don't do.

Sunrider

Add a beat to normality
Nov 16, 2009
The difference between you're and your.
The difference between there, their and they're.
The difference between were, where and we're.

And stuff.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Knowledge is power.
With great power comes great responsibility.
Money does not equal happiness.
The world is shit.
Humanity will eventually destroy itself.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
How to survive an avalanche.

1) don't go outside the normal routes in the first place ya dope! especially when the radio reports high risk of avalanches.

2) carry a beeper. It's an electronic device that let's other find you easily if you do manage to get burried.

3) if you notice an avalance starting behind you or even right under your feet, ski horizontally out of it's path asap. This is the fastest path out. Not diagonally. And never try to outrun it, you cant.

4) if you cant get out of the way any more, try to "swim" in it. Like you are trying to be carried by a wave of water as far as possible. If you are lucky you can keep it up until it stops.

5) if you can, grab on to anything you pass and hold on for dear life.

6) when you are being burried, hold your hands in front of your face, palms facing outwards. You should than be able to dig a little hole in front of your face once the avalanche stops. This vastly improves your chances of surviving. Don't try to dig yourself out completely though because you cant. Just wait for help.

Captcha: kick the can
wow is it just me or is inglip suddenly a lot more clear about stuff?

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
zumbledum said:
"Survival of the fittest"
Because, humans got so far on being weaker, hairless, slow, up-right walking mammals.
It should really be "Survival of the fittest or smartest."

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
II Scarecrow II said:
Nouw said:
User Agreements will usually have something that fucks you over. iTunes, according to Cracked since I can't be bothered checking myself, records your internet history.
It does what now? o_O *Clears browser history*

It's too late isn't it?
It's way too late. Everything does. Just feel lucky they aren't recording your passwords yet.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Nexxis said:
There is a difference between New York the city and New York the state. This has more to do with international knowledge of New York as the state is usually portrayed as the well known city. I've had to explain to international friends where I lived (which is in upstate New York) and why I can't visit the empire state building every day XD. I've had to show them a map many times about where I was located and where the New York (as they knew it) was located.
Holy shit, this. I've had to explain the concept of states to people before, it's kind of frustrating.

Not to be weird, but where in upstate New York do you live? I'm from there as well.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
Ironic Pirate said:
Nexxis said:
There is a difference between New York the city and New York the state. This has more to do with international knowledge of New York as the state is usually portrayed as the well known city. I've had to explain to international friends where I lived (which is in upstate New York) and why I can't visit the empire state building every day XD. I've had to show them a map many times about where I was located and where the New York (as they knew it) was located.
Holy shit, this. I've had to explain the concept of states to people before, it's kind of frustrating.

Not to be weird, but where in upstate New York do you live? I'm from there as well.
I'm currently in Rochester for school.

Emperor Nat

Jun 15, 2011
gim73 said:
Marcus Kehoe said:
Internet explorer browser suck's, using really anything else.

Chiropractor's are doctors and won't break your neck.

Christmas isn't Jesus Christ's Birthday.
--Snip--
to the third: It doesn't matter. Stating facts to a death cult is a waste of time. You could also point out that their holy day is supposed to be saturday, but that doesn't matter either. The cult leaders have a firm reign on the sheep. They tell them that murdering non-believers is okay, then murder happens. Murderous rich guy with a band of thugs wants your crop for taxes? He must be appointed by god to be your king because the cult leader is backing him. Don't have a good reason to keep the figurehead born on a certain day? Winter solstice is a great time in pagan tradition, let's switch it up!
--Snip--
Pro-Life doesn't mean that you value human life, only that you wish for the government to take away freedoms from those who need it. It's funny how many pro-life people are supporters of the death penalty.
1) Accusing Christianity of being a 'death cult' is just as wilfully ignorant and hateful as the position held by say, the Westboro Baptist Church.

2) Medieval feudalism does not define Christianity.

3) The holy day is Sunday because that's traditionally held to be the day of Jesus' resurrection rather than the Judaic Sabbath.

4) Pro-Life means you oppose abortion, nothing more and nothing less.

OT: Americans who think Europe is a country. Y U NO LEARN?

DrunkPickle

Sep 16, 2011
Well, our history teacher wanted to do something a little more fun today, so he proposed we play a trivia game. Of course, everyone agreed (better than copying notes off the blackboard for an hour, right?). So we split the class into teams and got started, and one of the first questions he gave was: "I was a French general; I suffered an early death, and my military battles are very well documented. Who am I?".

So I immediately tell my teammates: "It's Napoleon, guys"
-"Napoleon Dynamite?", my friend asks
-*Face Palm*, "No...Napoleon Bonaparte..."
-"Who's that?"
-*Another Face Palm*

How can an 11th grade high school student not know who Napoleon Bonaparte is?

But I guess, I'm not any different, as I still have a difficulty naming all the months in order, and I constantly confuse left with right...

Xan174

Jul 5, 2011
putowtin said:
Sunspots are thunderstorms on the suns surface
I'm sorry, I can't let this one slide. Sunspots have almost nothing in common with thunderstorms.

Sunspots are caused where intense regions of magnetic field inhibit convection inside the sun. This convection is one of the mechanisms that transports energy (heat) to the surface of the sun, and so slowing this energy transport causes that part of the photosphere (the layer of the sun that produces visible light) to be cooler than it's surroundings, and hence appear darker.

The Great Red Spot on Jupiter has much more in common with hurricanes on Earth, but again bears very little similarity to sunspots.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Xan174 said:
putowtin said:
Sunspots are thunderstorms on the suns surface
I'm sorry, I can't let this one slide. Sunspots have almost nothing in common with thunderstorms.

Sunspots are caused where intense regions of magnetic field inhibit convection inside the sun. .
Thank you for proving my science professor wrong, I'd love to rub it in his face, but he's now dead. However this does lead me to believe that everything he said was a load of crap!

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Nexxis said:
Ironic Pirate said:
Nexxis said:

I'm currently in Rochester for school.
Cool. I'm somewhat close to Binghampton, but actually live out in the country.

Lucem712

*Chirp*
Jul 14, 2011
Patrick Buck said:
Bvenged said:
Patrick Buck said:
ELCTea said:
Roggen Bread said:
Snip.

You should *NOT* give cats anything containing milk.
Such as cream, butter, joghurt or... erm... MILK!

Ffs, so many people are seriously risking their cat's health.
I've been giving my cat milk her whole life and she's now 17 (in cat years) i'm pretty sure she will outlive me!!
Yeah, Thats stupid. They can obviously take milk.
Know why?
THEY'RE MAMMALS.
We have two cats, one's 14, and the other one's 8, they both drink milk. And are healthy.
Do you own a cat? (Just wondering)
MANY cats are lactose intolerant and as adult mammals do not need it in their diet. Humans are the same story but most of us have built up a tolerance to cow milk by drinking it through our generations for thousands of years.

Give a cat cow milk [http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/humanfood.htm] and you increase the chance of them puking/crapping on your floor, basically.

Also; dogs are actually fatally intolerant to chocolate. Give your dog too much chocolate (which is only a few squares) and you will be poisoning it [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theobromine_poisoning]. DO that for a few days and he'll be dead by the end of the week. It's worse for cats but cats, unlike dogs, don't eat food they dislike; and chocolate is a food many cats dislike whereas most dogs eat any food you give them.
A lactose intolerant Cat would probably die before it was diagnosed, seeing as it would drink milk as a kitten, so giving it to adult cats would be almost always safe.

Every person I know who owns a cat give's their cat milk, and all of them have lived a fairly long life.
Except the one's hit by cars, but that's a little different to the point.

Well, cats (just like most* humans)aren't lactose intolerant at birth. They become intolerant as they age (or reach a certain age) because the bacteria in your stomach that breaks down lactose lessens with age.

That's why people of certain ethnicity are more likely to be lactose intolerant or develop it. They had the bacteria as babies but do not produce it anymore, or produce less and less amounts.

(*Some babies are lactose intolerant at birth and need special formula)

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Evolution.

Just some facts:

1.Its been scientifically documented.

2.Monkeys don't magically transform into people

3.Gravity is also "just a theory"

People seriously don't know what the fuck evolution is.....and it hurts my brain.