Things everybody should know but for some reason, most don't.

nklshaz

Nov 27, 2010
Electrogecko said:
You know what used to piss me off in HS? (and still does- just don't see it as often)

Gum in the water fountain.

I swear, every single water fountain in the school had a garbage bin about 10 feet away from it, yet about 90% of them had gum resting on top of the drain!

What the fuck people?!? Nobody wants to ever see your gum, let alone be forced to stick their face up to it in order to get a drink!

What is it about? Why is gum the only piece of trash that makes its way into the water fountain? What is it about the water fountain that makes people think an exception could be made?

Learn how to chew for that matter.....the same way your supposed to chew food. Mouth closed, and inaudible to bystanders.
You think that's bad? At my HS, I've seen gum spit into urinals. I seriously can't fathom any possible reason for someone leaving their gum in either place.

OT: People at my HS also need to learn to FLUSH THE FUCKING TOILET!!!

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
"If the door was closed when you came in CLOSE IT ON THE WAY OUT!" I swear it'll be on my tombstone 'obsessed with closing doors' the amount of times I close doors when they should already be closed on a daily basis is SO HIGH.

Hate living with people.

Marcus Kehoe

Mar 18, 2011
dobahci said:
Marcus Kehoe said:
Chiropractor's are doctors and won't break your neck.
Uh, well, actually. Whether they're doctors is a matter of definition. Anyone can call himself a doctor, and any discipline can have a degree program that includes "doctor" in its title.

But there's a good reason why it's classified as Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM), which is that it doesn't stand up to the rigorous standard of evidence and clinical testing which mainstream medicine is required to meet. The governments and the medical associations in various nations aren't allowed to completely prevent you from consulting doctors who practice it, so they classify it as CAM, which is their way of saying "Do this at your own risk; it doesn't have the support of the medical establishment because it has not been able to demonstrate its effectiveness."

Chiropractic was founded by D.D. Palmer at the end of the 19th century based upon the idea that the human nervous system has an "innate intelligence" which allows the body to heal itself, and that misalignments of the vertebral column, termed "subluxations", interfere with the innate intelligence and result in all manner of illnesses, including things like high cholestrol, high blood pressure, heart problems, difficulty breathing, and so on. While not all chiropractors are quite as extreme about the ideas, "innate intelligence" and "subluxations" are fundamental ideas to the chiropractic system, and neither has any solid scientific evidence to support it.

So, yeah, if chiropractors are doctors to you and you trust their method of treatment, then fine, but the average person shouldn't make the mistake of thinking that they're just like any medical doctor out there. They have more in common with acupuncturists or homeopaths than with MD's.
Yes that is true but I look at Chiropractor's the same way I look at dentist's, they just specialize.

pastrami05

Jan 2, 2012
nathan-dts said:
Marcus Kehoe said:
gim73 said:
Marcus Kehoe said:
Internet explorer browser suck's, using really anything else.

Chiropractor's are doctors and won't break your neck.

Christmas isn't Jesus Christ's Birthday.
to the first: that's your opinion. While there may be many great facts supporting that opinion.

to the second: That's your HOPE. Yes, they are doctors. But you also gotta figure in the fact that ALL DOCTORS ARE KILLERS, without exception. During their career, every single doctor will kill somebody, whether through negligence, malpractice or just plain malice.

to the third: It doesn't matter. Stating facts to a death cult is a waste of time. You could also point out that their holy day is supposed to be saturday, but that doesn't matter either. The cult leaders have a firm reign on the sheep. They tell them that murdering non-believers is okay, then murder happens. Murderous rich guy with a band of thugs wants your crop for taxes? He must be appointed by god to be your king because the cult leader is backing him. Don't have a good reason to keep the figurehead born on a certain day? Winter solstice is a great time in pagan tradition, let's switch it up!

People who use 'you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar' should have feces thrown at them. If they really want to catch flies, nothing will get the flies buzzing towards you faster than a hot, steaming turd. Also, why are they trying to get flies? I'm always trying to keep them out of the house.

'People who don't know history are doomed to repeat it' is very valid, but more valid is, 'People who know history are doomed to point out forever that everyone else is repeating history'

Stalin was an evil man who was going to divide up the world with Hitler. If Hitler hadn't been so greedy and wanted to keep it all for himself, WWII would have been alot darker...

Pro-Life doesn't mean that you value human life, only that you wish for the government to take away freedoms from those who need it. It's funny how many pro-life people are supporters of the death penalty.
Don't be throwing around the cult word in the face of Christianity, it is disrespectful. Yes most christian's are ignorant to the truth's such as Saturday being the true day and the 3 wise men where actually going to do something a lot different but don't be disrespectful in relating any of it to a cult.

Wiktionary entry.
"A group of people with a religious, philosophical or cultural identity sometimes viewed as a sect, often existing on the margins of society or exploitative towards its members."

It certainly qualifies as a cult using this definition.
You should probably realize that you are using wiktionary for your definition before you go any further. Regardless, this definition specifically includes that a cult exists on the margins of society, which in no way describes Christianity.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Regnes said:
Nouw said:
User Agreements will usually have something that fucks you over. iTunes, according to Cracked since I can't be bothered checking myself, records your internet history.
Cracked is also kind of full of shit 95% of the time, they don't do any real research on most articles. Whenever they talk about something that I actually knew about beforehand, they're completely wrong.
And the dilemma is, who do I trust? Cracked.com is a comedy site anyway so they're bound to bend the truth. But enlighten a fool, give me an example :).

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Okay, here's one...

Given that this thread is dedicated to pointing out that there are things that people don't know or get wrong all the time, I think it's safe to say the following statement:

Wikipedia is not to be considered an accurate database of information.

By the logic of this thread alone, you demonstrate that people have very strong biases, make very large mistakes, and are very lax in doing anything about these things. Ergo, the website which allows EVERYBODY to edit it is unreliable, even if you claim that it is moderated carefully by the people that own it, because they are also only human and ARE biased. True, there are bouts of information that are correct, but not all of it. Wiki is better used as a nexus by which to find the REAL information. It in of itself is not trustworthy.

Mariakko

Nov 21, 2011
brandon237 said:
Kermi said:
Pi is 22 divided by 7, just in case you have a calculator without a Pi button and urgently have to calculate the circumference of a circle.
Ahem...
[HEADING=3]WRONG![/HEADING]
Pi is not a rational number, it never terminates and does not repeat. All rational numbers can be shown in the form x = a/b, Pi, not being rational, cannot be accurately represented by 22/7 as this totally goes against what Pi is, an irrational number.

You can say that Pi is approximately 22/7, although it is as easy to remember 3,14.

Sorry. That may have been a little harsh :p

OT: Everyone should know that Chernobyl was not a good example of normal nuclear-fission power-generation and that "theory" in English does NOT mean the same, or even a similar thing, to what theory means in science.
Damn, Someone beat me to it. I've personally memorized 3.141592654(rounding up to 4).

Arbi Trax

Jul 13, 2011
Discussing religion or politics in a large group of people is almost guaranteed to lead to bad feeling. Do not do it! If you want to discuss it, ensure that the people you are talking to are able to entertain an idea, while disagreeing civilly.

THAT is debate. Anything else is just two people validating their own convictions. Loudly.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
pilouuuu said:
dvd_72 said:
I can't believe I'm saying this, but this has been a big problem in my uni block.

You clean up after you finish cooking. It's not hard. Put away your trash, clean up your pots and pans and put them away, then enjoy your meal. it takes all of one minute and there's less risk of rotting food stinking up the place. People have left out pots of stuff for DAYS. It's sickening. Thank god a block meeting seems to have helped.

When the trash bin is full, do not try to see how high you can stack things. You take out the full bag and put in a new one. Is that so hard to understand?

and the worst of all.... in a block of all men, when you take a piss, you lift the god damn toilet seat. You do not piss as usual then dribble all over it, meaning the rest of us have to clean it before we can take a shit. For crying out loud it's like some people grew up in a damned cave or something. I mean, you can SEE the piss on the seat. I do not want to go for my morning piss, lift the seat, and stick my thumb in your damned piss.

... sorry, that turned into a bit of a rant, but these are simple things that aren't too hard to teach yourself as you can see the mess it leaves behind!
I have to disagree with your first point. Shouldn't you wash after eating, because if you do so just after cooking the meal will get cold when you finally get to eat. You can wash just after you finish eating!
Perhaps, but when you leave the cleaning after you eat, with a full stomach you're less likely to clean up and more likely to leave it untill later, which then means your dirty dishes and pots and pans hang around for days!

Mazza35

Jan 20, 2011
Yugeky20 said:
Mazza35 said:
60% of people in my school (Australia, <Year 11) don't know what WWI or WWII are!
I mean, WHAT THE FUCK? No seriously, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS?
Some have never even heard of the Gallipolli landings!

Those were three of the biggest events in Australia in terms of the ANZACS, and they haven't heard of them! I mean we were getting bombed in WWII!

Gah! I hate what our society is turning into >.>
Do you by any chance go to HERP college? How can you live in one of the most WWI effected countries. Do they play CoD WoW and say "Gee, how did they get such a smart war story"?
Sadly, most of the people on my generation are like that. Fucking retards.

*cue Farnsworth*

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
Nouw said:
User Agreements will usually have something that fucks you over. iTunes, according to Cracked since I can't be bothered checking myself, records your internet history.
also iTunes may not be used in the development of WMD,s

that the earth isn't flat.
http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/ (yes people believe this stuff)
I get that in religious doctrine that people believe the earth is just 6000 years old or that you reject the theory of evolution but Marco Polo proved the earth was round by sailing around it.

people believe that alternative medicine works and reject life saving treatments over it.
if people stuck to traditional western medicine instead of magic water or hand waving allot of people might have been saved suffering also Steve Jobs would have been alive today.

leaderproxima

Mar 1, 2012
It takes just as much strength to bite through your finger as it takes to bite through a carrot but our brains stop us from doing it.

bet you didnt know that

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Okay, here's one...

Given that this thread is dedicated to pointing out that there are things that people don't know or get wrong all the time, I think it's safe to say the following statement:

By the logic of this thread alone, you demonstrate that people have very strong biases, make very large mistakes, and are very lax in doing anything about these things. Ergo, the website which allows EVERYBODY to edit it is unreliable, even if you claim that it is moderated carefully by the people that own it, because they are also only human and ARE biased. True, there are bouts of information that are correct, but not all of it. Wiki is better used as a nexus by which to find the REAL information. It in of itself is not trustworthy.
Good logic, good statement.
Buuuuut you could argue that any book/article/etc is worse, because it has lesser editors and therefore more potential bias in the final product (because the bias of all the people involved is less likely to even itself out). Therefore wikipedia might not be the holy grail of accuracy (there is no such thing), but it might be our best shot for now.
EDIT: also books and articles can't be fixed once released. There's so much unfixable shit flying around in the literature world, you can't believe it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Rainforce said:
FalloutJack said:
Okay, here's one...

Good logic, good statement.
Buuuuut you could argue that any book/article/etc is worse, because it has lesser editors and therefore more potential bias in the final product (because the bias of all the people involved is less likely to even itself out). Therefore wikipedia might not be the holy grail of accuracy (there is no such thing), but it might be our best shot for now.
EDIT: also books and articles can't be fixed once released. There's so much unfixable shit flying around in the literature world, you can't believe it.
That might be so (or, it might not), but I seem to recall an Aesop-ism about too many cooks spoiling the soup. Granted, you can take anything with a grain of salt and even construct - via philosophical musings - a thesis by which information and reality and your perceptions of it are all backwards...but then we could at least say you're approaching the whole information thing intelligently.

Wikipedia is, on the other hand, very lazy and able to be frauded in seconds with the right line of code. Information could be maliciously altered or destroyed if one is of a mind and talent to do so. Very unreliable. At least with books, you know that the last regime that decided to eschew knowledge by burning books didn't pan out too well.

Tipsy Giant

May 10, 2010
omicron1 said:
The US budget cannot afford entitlements. Almost all entitlements present are founded on borrowed money; without them we'd have a balanced budget.
The US budget can't afford to sustain it's Imperialist occupation of foreign soil!

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Grog289 said:
Scarim Coral said:
While people know the 911 event was September 11 but some people forgot the year on when it happen.
How hard is it to remember that it was 2011? I mean I pretty sure this was the terrorist humour to attack in that time when it's the same emergency number.
Not sure if troll... but 911 happened in 2001.
Sorry my bad, that was a typo (I tend to do that often and yes I should double check more often).

Death Carr

Less Than 3D
Mar 30, 2011
that there are 52 weeks in a year
in maths today we had to calculate how much someone would earn based on a set amout per week, when the time came to x52 most of the other students in the class thought it was 50 or 40
this is a year 11 maths class BTW