Things in video games that took you years to realize

Monkfish Acc.

May 7, 2008
Okay guys. Go ahead and listen to this for a sec.
Did you notice?
What about now?
Squaresoft has been subtly rickrolling us for years.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
It wasn't years, but only at my second playthrough through Batman: Arkham Asylum I really realised you could dodge and move about without loosing your combo counter.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Rex Fallout said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
Rex Fallout said:
Legend of Dragoon. Recently played through most of it again and I realized:
1: Did they not even bother attempting to be creative with the names for the wild creatures in between cities?
2: Astral Drain... Rose I don't care what you are doing with that Energy- you're still my third favorite girl in the World! Right Behind Tali and... well, an actual real girl I'm in love with. ^^

Seriously Never noticed Astral drain until recently. And then I was like WTF??!! Who the hell designed this and thought it was ok?!
Astral Drain? Isn't that the move where she pees healing energy onto the party? I always raise my eyebrow when I do that move. Just why?
It is. The point is I didn't notice until recently. Seriously though you think that was ok? I wanted that game taken seriously I LOVE that game.
I find it laughable. That and the terrible voice acting (Well, it is a PS1 game. What did I expect?). Don't mistake me. I love the game to death, but it has its quirks.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
I only recently found out that Mario doesn't headbutt the blocks to get coins, he punches them. I found that out a little while ago, and it shook my concept of reality to the very core...

[sub]I can never play Mario again.[/sub]​

HiC

Mar 31, 2011
Monkfish Acc. said:
Did you notice?
What about now?
Oh god, oh dear god...

Ando85

Apr 27, 2011
lunncal said:
I only recently found out that Mario doesn't headbutt the blocks to get coins, he punches them. I found that out a little while ago, and it shook my concept of reality to the very core...

Same thing happened to me as well. Someone pointed this out to me when I was stumped as to why Mario could bash his head against a block and not sustain any damage, yet he dies if he so much as touches a turtle.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Monkfish Acc. said:
Did you notice?
What about now?
Oh, that's great, they have.

Wait, so they were the people who started that thing?

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
lunncal said:

Oh... oh god. I need to sit down. But I... what... what is real anymore.
I just don't know.

OT: When the Escapist mentioned that Mario dies on the cover. :c

ghostalker.cepo

Dec 31, 2008
Dchao said:
SpaceBat said:
Dchao said:
No no, wait, seriously? Why the fuck are they turned into blocks?
I don't know.

"Basically the manual says the Mushroom Kingdom was the peaceful home of the Toads until the day Bowser and his wicked minions invaded. Using powerful magic, Bowser transformed the Toads into bricks and quickly conquered the land."

Peach knows the cure to this, but she's kidnapped by bowser, so it's your job to save her.
Or just fucking smash your face into each and everyone one of them?
Actually, when Mario jumps, his fist is above his head, he's never facesmashed any bricks ever. That's something I found a few days ago

Rex Fallout

Oct 5, 2010
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I find it laughable. That and the terrible voice acting (Well, it is a PS1 game. What did I expect?). Don't mistake me. I love the game to death, but it has its quirks.
Haha yeah I totally understand but seriously it was on the PS1 did anyone really expect better voice acting?

One of my dreams is to one day help remake this game. I really want to remake this game.

Richardplex

Jun 22, 2011
This thread is going to be full of sick revalations that will kill our childhood's. /bookmark this thread.

OT: ...at the moment, I can't add to the thread, I know there was something that blew my mind, but I don't recall at the moment. I'll edit when I remember.
Edit: it's not about video games, but... escapist has a magazine? JUST found that out.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Years may be stretching it a bit but I had played morrowind wel over 100 hours already when I decided to finally figure out this whole enchanting business.
So I ended up at some fansite and looked around for a bit and I was like "Wait wat? you can be a vampire? You can build castles?? You can do deadric quests??? Are we still talking about the same game here????" There was just so much I didn't even know about yet.

EDIT: Also, this: http://www.dorkly.com/article/13074/the-dorklyst-the-6-greatest-videogame-theories-on-the-internet/

It's just theories but they make sense. Particularly nr. 6 and 1 blew my mind.

TheColdHeart

Sep 15, 2008
I was told the "Mario punches blocks" thing about a month or so ago and part of me refuses to believe it as my childhood self always thought he headbutted them because you know...that's what Mario does.

I've recently also put about 30 hours into Just Cause 2 and just realised there is a sprint button.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
Okay I'd spoiler this but it's kind of ancient...The place where you end up at the end of MYST, Dni, is actually earth... and your character has been able to go home the WHOLE TIME we were waiting for Riven.

Godammit Atrus.

:|

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Monkfish Acc. said:
Did you notice?
What about now?
Put them together and magic happens!

lunncal said:

Ah, what? I don't... what? I just can't... I mean it's obvious now that I think about it but... What?

SpaceBat said:
Those breakable bricks from the mario series are actually toads transformed by Bowser, meaning that I've been killing toads ever since the first Super Mario Bros.

The thing is, this is mentioned in the game's manual.
No. NO! It's not true! That's impossible!

My subconscious: Search your feelings you know this to be true.

NOOOOO! *throw myself down a pit*

Evilbunny

Feb 23, 2008
SpaceBat said:
Those breakable bricks from the mario series are actually toads transformed by Bowser, meaning that I've been killing toads ever since the first Super Mario Bros.

The thing is, this is mentioned in the game's manual.
Wait, really? That is seriously fucked up.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
orangeapples said:
LOLOL they tried really hard to make that sound like Diddy's Conquest.

I did not know about the L3 and R3 buttons on the PS2 until recently... like this year recently...
Yeah. I think it worked. It took me a while to realize that Woodman in Megaman 2 was weak against metalman's weapon.

Wait...EEEK! SEASON 0 YAMI-YUGI! PLEASE DON'T KILL ME! *Flees*