Things that are not achievements but should be.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
What are some actions in games that should be achievements/trophies yet aren't?

For me, I was mildly disappointed to learn that using a hand grenade to kill a shark wasn't an achievement/trophy in Far Cry 3. It makes sense, seeing as they have an achievement for killing someone with the repair tool.
Another from Far Cry 3 is that killing enemies with their own Molotov Cocktails should be an achievement. I've already killed at least ten guys by igniting their Molotov bandolier.

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Metal Gear Solid 4 - Numb Ass, you sat through every cutscene without skipping. Seriously that's a freaking life achievement there xD

perkl

Mar 15, 2011
Bought (100-200-500) games on Steam. Once Steam gets achievements for buying stuff we're screwed.

Sp3ratus

Apr 11, 2009
I always thought it was weird that there aren't achievements for gathering all 10 Dragon Priest masks in Skyrim. Or getting all the Stones of Berenziah for that matter. Doing those two things are more of an achievement than completing x or y quest.

King Billi

Jul 11, 2012
There should be one achievement for defeating each boss in Dark Souls.

They had one for each boss in Demon's Souls so why not this?

Lur-King

Sep 22, 2012
Achievement for Windows:
Go 24 hours without an error message
Go 1 Week without an unexpected slow-down error.
Go 1 Month without being forced to hard-reset the computer
Go 1 year without calling your computer any negative name(s).

I feel the last one is the true test of time.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Sp3ratus said:
I always thought it was weird that there aren't achievements for gathering all 10 Dragon Priest masks in Skyrim. Or getting all the Stones of Berenziah for that matter. Doing those two things are more of an achievement than completing x or y quest.
For that matter getting all of the crimson Nirnroot should have given you something too. Maybe not an achievement but more then: "Oh thx for getting me that stuff bro, here is some gold, you don't seem to have enough already." Srsly, did I miss something there? I got all of them, stupid book told me Id get like a mega potion or so, then all I did was deliver it to that farmer in the overworld. Was that really all to it?

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
twistedmic said:

For me, I was mildly disappointed to learn that using a hand grenade to kill a shark wasn't an achievement/trophy in Far Cry 3. It makes sense, seeing as they have an achievement for killing someone with the repair tool.
Another from Far Cry 3 is that killing enemies with their own Molotov Cocktails should be an achievement. I've already killed at least ten guys by igniting their Molotov bandolier.
Hell, killing a shark at all should be an achievement... Shit's hard, y'know?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
Beating FFXIII without upgrading anything . I did this on my first playthrough.

Beating Dante's inferno on hard . I mean wtf . The enemies are all damage sponges . Althought i did this on my first playthrough.

Dying 100 times in Dark souls .

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
ABLb0y said:
twistedmic said:

Hell, killing a shark at all should be an achievement... Shit's hard, y'know?
Not really. I did it by accident, on a jet ski.
Hell I actually got an achievement for that.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Beat14 said:
For not unlocking a single achievement... in one run through.
Then it'd spoil a perfect achievement-less run, with an achievement.

Beautiful, dedicated and hilarious irony :D

ReinWeisserRitter

Nov 15, 2011
King Billi said:

Because it's not an achievement if you just played the freaking game. It should acknowledge something unusual, offbeat, or otherwise special. I can't stand achievements like "beat the first level", "beat the game", or "beat a boss that was just standing there waiting to get killed". It's just patronizing.

I mean yeah, most people suck at these things, but don't assume they do.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
ReinWeisserRitter said:
King Billi said:

Because it's not an achievement if you just played the freaking game. It should acknowledge something unusual, offbeat, or otherwise special. I can't stand achievements like "beat the first level", "beat the game", or "beat a boss that was just standing there waiting to get killed". It's just patronizing.

I mean yeah, most people suck at these things, but don't assume they do.
Personally, I've never had a problem with trophies that are unlocked through the natural progression of the game. They're ultimately harmless, and they're a nice way to gauge how far along your friends are in a game. But I do agree that the best trophies are the more offbeat and unusual ones.

OT: I can't remember which, but in either Assassin's Creed Brotherhood and Revelations (maybe both), I was surprised to find out that there was no trophy for completing all challenges for all guilds.

Also, if Pokemon ever decides to do achievements, there should be one for resisting the urge to name your rival something crude. That's always been a true test of will for me.

RubyT

Sep 3, 2009
Achievements suck. There should be a checkbox in the options menu to disable them.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Skyrim: Cap all skills.
XCOM: Beat the game without any casualties.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
TF2 needs to add some with the news weapons that came out.

Kill two people with one shot using the Machina
Get a kill with the Mantreads
Light three people on fire with one Detonator/Scorch Shot shot
Kill an Engineer with a Diamondback critical within seconds of attaining it

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
The Emotionally Dead achievement for not attempting to slit your wrists with the box art after the "white phosphorous" bit in Spec Ops.

I'd say an achievement for not getting aroused while playing WET but that may only be hard for me sooo....

AceDefective

Mar 23, 2009
Not a specific game, but more games should have achievements for finishing the game in X amount of time.
GTA IV is the only game I can think of off the top of my head that did this.