Things that dampen holidays

Generalissimo

Your Commander-in-Chief
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
UK
I'm tapping this out from an iPad in a Cumbrian hotel.

Now that that's out of the way, onto the subject matter: what reduces the fun factor of holidays for you? Be it unseen conditions, family, other people or stuff like that. For example, I'm a little scared to leave my room right now because my mum is stress-zillia right now for reasons I don't understand, and that's put a damper on things because I don't want to get my head bitten off for something trivial.

So yeah, what gets you?

Wickatricka

Aug 26, 2011
-Last Christmas dinner I showed up high on Xanax and started causing a scene.
-Thanksgiving I showed up drunk and everyone knew
-Bunch of other family shit i've ruined like birthdays
-Trying to stay sober been clean for 3 months all on my own
-Yeah I'm a piece of shit

Esotera

May 5, 2011
My holidays are always with family as the only way I'll ever go on holiday is if it's free - it's seriously not worth it otherwise & I hate flying. Unfortunately my family have a really bad record of picking places that are really far off the beaten track, so it'll typically take an hour of driving to get anywhere. Once we do get to the place of interest, we typically are forced to windowshop the entire town for several hours in extreme weather conditions, then maybe go to another place of interest and do the same thing. Not great fun.

Also, rain.

Jul 10, 2013
1 word. Just one.
Headaches.

Sometimes you get one that some painkillers won't get rid off, and those are the ones that leave you feeling like total arse.

Mocmocman

Dec 4, 2012
I just got back from England a few weeks ago, and it was unbearable fucking hot the whole time. Oh, and I didn't have shorts or any non-black shirts. Yay. I also had a canker sore the whole time, and Steam started their sale while I didn't have a computer.
Oh, and visiting family usually isn't fun. Mainly because those trips are almost always sit around the house trips, and I can't be cooped up for too long.

I feel you on your mom. Mine gets stressed out, even if she doesn't admit it. Not to the bite-your-head-off level, by enough to cause a damper.

Little Woodsman

Nov 11, 2012
Wickatricka said:
Not to be contradictory, but to me it sounds much more like you are a person with a *problem*, and you are attempting to address that problem. You are *not* feces. Gotta love yourself. 3 months is an excellent start, and I can assure you there are a lot of people here rooting for you.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Last year my Uncle died two days before Christmas.

Needless to say, the holiday was significantly dampened.

Raggedstar

Jul 5, 2011
Not exactly a holiday, but we had a huge family reunion sort of thing I was dragged to last year. That day I started to get (womanly) cramps that hurt like a ***** and I was STILL forced to go so "the family can be complete" and stay for about 8 hours in constant pain. Basically imagine being held in a sweltering hot room with about 70 Greeks, all very loud, some of them soaked with mansweat, some of them drunk, and various smells of good and not-so-good food all while it feels like someone is trying to saw your gut with a rusty knife. Then I was being yelled at for being an antisocial downer and not leaving my miserable corner due to deep visceral pain and nearly vomiting. And for those wondering, anti-inflammatories don't work on me. People also offered me beer and were offended when I said beer would make it worse. Fun fun fun!

But ya, whenever womanly cramps happen, they often time themselves perfectly for holidays, company, or really long days at work (and often no one to cover for you). Happened Christmas last year too, but not so bad (and at least I got to distract my pain with a good ol' overdose of Skyrim). It's like joy, anticipation, and responsibility triggers the hormones.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
rain.

apart from being a smartass answer, depressing weather really does tend to screw with my holiday cheer.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Having to redo my exams in the summer holidays because I fucked them up really badly back in June.
Since I want to get into university this year, I need to do this properly, or I have to repeat 2 years of school.

KarmaTheAlligator

Mar 2, 2011
Not being home does that for me. By home, I mean where I live, as opposed to where ever I end up going (even if it's just my parent's house). Due to a psychological (d)effect, I end up not being able to eat, sleep, or pretty much function properly for a few days (up to 3 days, from experience).

Also, not having access to all my stuff.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
Last month I went to visit my family for a week and while it was all fun there were some things that I really wished didn't happen.

1. Humidity. We were having a family outdoor BBQ and while I would have loved to stay outside longer the humidity was through the roof that day. You couldn't step outside for more than 30 seconds before you were sweating bullets.

2. Headaches. The next day we went to a local amusement park but I suddenly got a wicked headache out of nowhere. I couldn't go on any rollercoasters or other fast rides out of fear that all the twisting and turning and extreme speed would make it worse.

3. Sunburn. We went to a waterpark the day after that and while it was great fun (and my favorite part of the trip) I ended up getting sunburn on my shoulders because of the cheap sunscreen my mom insisted I use. For the rest of the trip nothing else bad happened but man is it annoying how moving you arms too much makes it feel like your being attacked by a colony of fire ants.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
PROTIP! Never get married on a Holiday!

A friend of mine since high school married a jerk on Halloween. My Mom and Dad got married on Valentine's Day. Both couples are divorced at this point. I'm not saying it's inevitable but it's like tattooing your lover's name onto yourself: it's just one of those things you just do NOT do.

---

As T-Shirt-Turtle just said: Headaches. Headaches ruin everything. The Scottish Mexican (numbers) also mentioned this.

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
Shoggoth2588 said:

A friend of mine since high school married a jerk on Halloween. My Mom and Dad got married on Valentine's Day. Both couples are divorced at this point. I'm not saying it's inevitable but it's like tattooing your lover's name onto yourself: it's just one of those things you just do NOT do.

---

As T-Shirt-Turtle just said: Headaches. Headaches ruin everything. The Scottish Mexican (numbers) also mentioned this.
I really doubt there is ANY correlation between the day you engage in a meaningful relationship and the lenght or quality of said relationship. This is just superstition.

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
Shoggoth2588 said:

Agreed! I got married to my ex-wife on Valentines day and that worked out well obviously...

Morsomk_v1legacy

RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA RUMBA
Jan 30, 2013
Being forced to wear fancy clothes. I just hate wearing fancy clothes for the sheer facts that I can never seem to eat proberly while wearing them and I find them quite uncomfy.

Wickatricka

Aug 26, 2011
Little Woodsman said:
Wickatricka said:
Not to be contradictory, but to me it sounds much more like you are a person with a *problem*, and you are attempting to address that problem. You are *not* feces. Gotta love yourself. 3 months is an excellent start, and I can assure you there are a lot of people here rooting for you.
Well thanks glad to know at least some people are :)

White Lightning

Feb 9, 2012
Rape.

I imagine getting raped would dampen your holiday.

Captcha: happy retirement

I like where this is going...

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Family. Expecially dad. And that's why I stopped having any kind of contact with my dad a while ago.