Things that make no sense to you in video games

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
campofapproval said:
i like to pretend the "health regeneration" in games like cod, killzone, halo etc. isn't really my character getting shot as much as combat-related stress and/or the increasing likelihood i'll get shot (and killed,.) staying out of fire for a few seconds means i won't get hit, and gives me a breather. it works.
My god, I love it. So simple, and yet so great. +5 Internets to you, good sir.

Deathsaw

Aug 22, 2007
Picture this: You're on a team of marines fighting against a vicious alien assassin squad. You're wearing blue armor. They're wearing red armor. The two groups hate each other for an unknown reason, but they found a way to settle the score: Capture The Flag. You have to go to the enemy base, pick up a useless flag and transport it ALL THE WAY BACK to your base. After you "Score" it(by cramming it into an already-occupied flagstand), it DISAPPEARS and magically goes back to their base. In a nutshell, you take something just to give it back later. Then, you do that 2 more times and the war is over.

IronStorm9

Jun 15, 2010
Dawkter said:
IronStorm9 said:
Dawkter said:
Pokemon.

What the fuck? I can just waltz in anyone's house and no one would care?

Also there are more PokeCenters then there are hospitals? What, our animal thingy slaves deserve more healthcare than us now?
I think what's stranger is the fact that there never seem to be enough houses for everyone you see in a town. For example, there are only three buildings in Pallet Town in the original game: Your house, your rival's house, and Oak's lab; but there are 2-3 other people in Pallet Town who constantly stand outside. Where do they live?

Since we're talking about Pokemon, How the hell does the professor from each game know when you're about to use an item when you shouldn't? When you try to ride the bike indoors in the first game, Professor Oak would say something like, "This isn't the time to use that," no matter how far from Pallet Town you were at the time. How the hell does he know? The only plausible explanation is that he is an incredibly powerful telepath who can read people's minds from miles away.
And why are the Elite 4 champions constantly there? Do they have lives or do they just sit inside, imprisoning passer-bys to unescapable battles?
And what about the trainers? Do they just stand there awaiting somebody to wander by so they can get uncomfortably close to them and then have their animals molest yours?
Also, why don't you become the Elite 4 Champion after beating him? I "blacked out" ten times getting this far, burned through 60 Hyper Potions and a shit-ton of Revives, and all I get is my Pokemon in the hall of fame? Bullshit! I wanna put some noob trainers in their place!

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Lots of things.

From the fact that food heals horrible lacerations to the fact that mario can suddenly increase in size and somehow not tear his clothes. WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?!?

Pyrokinesis

Dec 3, 2007
Enemy HP Vs the Player HP on higher dificulty.

Nothing makes me say WTF harder when here I am in crysis, in a super high-tech suit. And i can only take 3 bullets. Yet this random Korean dude who seriously must be on PCP or something can take 10 to the head. TH? Why did we bother with this super suit when 1 cracked up Korean can take twice the damage?

Plenty of other games are guilty of it too where the player can only take like 1 hit but the enemys (who are usually un-armored in casual attire) are just bullet sponges for no genuine reason.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
ExiusXavarus said:
So, I was playing Assassin's Creed and it finally clicked with me while I was taking down wanted posters, that a lot of them are way up on top of buildings. Generally out of sight to the random passerby. Now of course, I know this isn't true of all wanted posters, but a vast majority of the posters I took down were on the upper area of a building. Wouldn't the whole purpose of a wanted poster to be that people can SEE it and alert authorities of the subject? Hardly effective if they're up out of sight.

So I ask you, my fellow Escapists, what sort of anomalies have you come across in your video games that just made you take a second and think: Wtf?
dammit that was exactally what I was going to put

Far cry 2....that computer has a diamond slot or somthing?
The Wykydtron said:
The resistance to overdosing on *insert potion here*

L4D's Pain Pills is particularly noticeable scoffing down full bottles of painkillers in one go is a one way trip to dead unless you're in L4Dland of course...

Also injecting about seven Stimpaks in two seconds on Fallout NV really can't be good for my characters health. After a particularly difficult fight i'm always expecting my character do take a few steps then drop down dead... No wait that would be the Cazador's job

[sub]Fucking Cazadors[/sub]
what do stimpaks actually do anyway?

It always made me wonder..."Buffout" which assume is the same as the pain pills gives you a hitpoints boots thats only temporay

thinks makes me think however that you body is really really fucked up and being even more fucked up...and you cant feel it

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Buying IEDs in Far Cry 2. Isn't the point of an IED that you make it yourself? Should have just gone with C4 there Ubi.

Wayneguard

Jun 12, 2010
campofapproval said:
Wayneguard said:
Why do you not turn into a zombie when you're bit in any zombie game ever?
problem with that is, not all zombie myths revolve around "bite-transmitted virus." hell, even in the original romero films the bites ain't what made you a zombie; dying's what did it. bites just made you die pretty quick-like, cause dead people's mouths ain't the most sanitary.
In the Romero movies, a bite would indeed turn you into a zombie. And specifically, the main series resident evil games, in which bites are the cause of infection, don't have that as a gameplay feature at all. Only outbreak did (I think) and no one played outbreak.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
zehydra said:
double jumping. Think about it.
Dammit! Ninja'd by the first post!

Ok, something else; the fact that every time I reload in a game (even when I only fire one bullet) I'm throwing away a partially full magazine (clip?) bothers me somewhat.

Also, how does Kratos carry all that crap in God of War 3?

smeghead25

Apr 28, 2009
Radeonx said:
Well, from Brohood, the idea that your brotherhood of assassin's were always following you at all times.
I mean, how else can they arrow storm? It means that even when you wanted to go alone, they were there. Watching you.
Kind of creepy, if you ask me.
Which begs the other question, if they were following you the whole time, why didn't the 4 of you just troop around town as an unstoppable band of ruthless assassin's?
Actually I figured it was simply something that Ezio would have organised beforehand, just we didn'tget to or need to see that every time we went on a mission. I figured if I was Ezio, I'd have a couple of my Assassin's hidden out of sight waiting for my signal. I never thought of it the way you did :p

AmbushIntheDark

Aug 2, 2010
Deathsaw said:
Picture this: You're on a team of marines fighting against a vicious alien assassin squad. You're wearing blue armor. They're wearing red armor. The two groups hate each other for an unknown reason, but they found a way to settle the score: Capture The Flag. You have to go to the enemy base, pick up a useless flag and transport it ALL THE WAY BACK to your base. After you "Score" it(by cramming it into an already-occupied flagstand), it DISAPPEARS and magically goes back to their base. In a nutshell, you take something just to give it back later. Then, you do that 2 more times and the war is over.
But...but... its the FLAG.

About 55 seconds into this he explains it. :D

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Fagotto said:
Drinking water to heal yourself in Prince of Persia. What kind of world would it be if water cured all physical injuries?!
Plain water...laced with LSD.

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
Pyrokinesis said:
Enemy HP Vs the Player HP on higher dificulty.

Nothing makes me say WTF harder when here I am in crysis, in a super high-tech suit. And i can only take 3 bullets. Yet this random Korean dude who seriously must be on PCP or something can take 10 to the head. TH? Why did we bother with this super suit when 1 cracked up Korean can take twice the damage?

Plenty of other games are guilty of it too where the player can only take like 1 hit but the enemys (who are usually un-armored in casual attire) are just bullet sponges for no genuine reason.
Speaking of which, the HP of an enemy character as soon as they become good and/or join your party. Why Magus? Why?

Jonny1188

Oct 8, 2010
Why do evil geniuses leave a bunch of extremely useful power-ups and health regenerating items in their lairs? For example, I suppose we're supposed to assume that rings and power-up boxes in Sonic the Hedgehog are naturally occurring items in the world, but why would Robotnik have rings and shields and lifts in Metropolis Zone or on the Death Egg?

Alphakirby

May 22, 2009
Fagotto said:
Drinking water to heal yourself in Prince of Persia. What kind of world would it be if water cured all physical injuries?!
One without disease,one without war,one without famine,one without cancer.
What a wonderful world it would be.

OT:Invisible walls......................................*BAM* Fucking Mimes Setting Up Their Force Fields So I Can't Walk Off Of A Cliff!!!

smeghead25

Apr 28, 2009
Krantos said:
Buying IEDs in Far Cry 2. Isn't the point of an IED that you make it yourself? Should have just gone with C4 there Ubi.
Nah, an IED is an Improvised Explosive Device, something which is cheap anjd effective but crudely made out of random stuff. You don't have to make it yourself for it to be an IED. In Ubi's version of Africa (and I'm sure in other parts of the real world too) people would make money from making cheap explosive devices and selling them for a profit. C4 costs a lot more than random junk and rocks.