Things you did not know

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
King Hippo post=18.60289.828988 said:
You may kill a irishman in nottingham if he is holding both a bow and an arrow.
In the same vein, in some states in the US, a group of Native Americans consisting of four or more people counts as a raiding party and it is technically legal to kill them all.

Unholykrumpet

Nov 1, 2007
TheFreeGus post=18.60289.468312 said:
Helmet said:
If you ever meet an Eskimo, do not call them an Eskimo. Call him/her an Inuit. Eskimo means "Stupid person that eats raw meat."
but not all Eskimos are Inuit. Inuits are only like one tribe of people and the rest would find that insulting.
moral of the story, don't talk to Eskimos.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Heh, the booklets I bought for school have alot of facts in them. Like the screaming and coffee cup heating thing.

I'm going to go take my booklets now. *takes booklets* Let's begin, shall we?

1)At the beginning of the 19th century, there lived a dog in Germany who could pronounce ~100 words in the German language.

2) If you count from numbers 1 to 1 billion, it would take you 36,2 years of time.

3) If we presume that Rudolf is the reindeer that's at the front, then the other 8 reindeers can be put to their places in 40 320 different ways.

4) If you lose only 2% of your body-water, you could get concencration difficulties with math or while working with a computer.

5) A sleeping human's body is half centimeters longer than an awake human's body.

6) The cubage of the moon is equal to the cubage of the Pacific Ocean.

7) The 100-year-war actually extended over the period of 116 (it began on the year 1337, oh yeah *winkwink*)

8) Earth is the only planet in our solar-system that hasn't gotten it's name from a heathen god.

9) Every year, moon departs from the earth by 3,82 centimeters.

10) Only 55% of Americans know that the Sun is a star (ha!)

11) If you break a glass, the shards of glass fly with the speed 4800 km/h.

12) You can hear a lion's roar from 9 kilometres away.

13) There are 2 earthquakes on Earth every minute.

14) A cat sleeps 16 hours a day.

15) When a gorilla is angry, he shows his tongue.

16) Dew worms have 5 hearts.

Oh yeah, they mention it, "A normal sized paper can't be folded more than 7 times. Take that, Myhtbusters!

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Anarchemitis post=18.60289.831070 said:
Okay, I think everyone has run out of ideas, I've seen these all before.
Good for you, then.

You didn't say at the beginning of the thread that we have to ask you, whether you know those words or not.

axia777

Oct 10, 2008
Bruce Lee really died from a brain aneurysm from smoking hash. It was an allergic reaction to THC. He smoked it with his mistress while cheating on his wife. She told him to smoke it because he was really stressed out from all the projects he was always working on.

Johnn Johnston

May 4, 2008
A duck's quack does echo.
Majorly, in the right circumstances. [http://www.acoustics.salford.ac.uk/acoustics_info/duck/media/trans.mp3]

klakkat

May 24, 2008
Bricks from certain American states often contain trace amounts of Uranium; we actually use this fact to calibrate radiation-detection equipment in the building I work in (our walls have a good amount of uranium, and are radioactive)

Cellphones can't cause cancer; the energy is too low. Likewise for Microwaves, though a microwave oven can still be dangerous since it heats water (which your body is mostly made of).

Ultraviolet light has the highest chance of interacting with flesh in a cancer-causing way out of all wavelengths of light.

I know of at least one water supply for a city that delivers water with trace amounts of Arsenic. This causes no health issues in the citizens.

Technicians at American nuclear facilities and American nuclear vessels usually receive as little as 1/10 the radiation dose of an average person at sea level while working.

Tobacco contains radioactive material; smoking a pack a day roughly doubles your natural radiation exposure.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
I admit I only went thru the first 6 pages and the last couple, but I was surprised to see no mention of QI!

Go see bits of it on Youtube, essentially, its a quiz show with easy questions with stupidly difficult answers. All this of course being a device to allow the panellists to be 'Quite Interesting' about the subjects brought up.

It's hosted by Stephen Fry and as well as being a great show, is a great supply of facts to annoy bigheads who claim to know it all.

Example questions were 'How many planets in our solar system?' (This was before the Pluto story was widely known, and 'How many moons does the Earth have?' to which, when Alan Davies was told 'One' was wrong, retorted 'of course its one! its called THE bloody MOON!'.

Anyways, give it a go, you might like it if you like facts and funny combined!

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
SenseOfTumour post=18.60289.831324 said:
I admit I only went thru the first 6 pages and the last couple, but I was surprised to see no mention of QI!

Go see bits of it on Youtube, essentially, its a quiz show with easy questions with stupidly difficult answers. All this of course being a device to allow the panellists to be 'Quite Interesting' about the subjects brought up.

It's hosted by Stephen Fry and as well as being a great show, is a great supply of facts to annoy bigheads who claim to know it all.

Example questions were 'How many planets in our solar system?' (This was before the Pluto story was widely known, and 'How many moons does the Earth have?' to which, when Alan Davies was told 'One' was wrong, retorted 'of course its one! its called THE bloody MOON!'.

Anyways, give it a go, you might like it if you like facts and funny combined!
QI is amazing!

Nalbis

Oct 6, 2008
In England it is still classed as Treason to de-face the Queen.

This includes cutting a penny in half, or ripping a £5 note.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
It would take 288 years for one to spend a night in each hotel room in vegas.