Things you feel bad about in videogames (Spoilers might be present)

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
lRookiel said:
*DARK SOULS SPOILERS*

Killing Great grey wolf Sif, especially after you rescued him when he was a baby wolf.

So many feels were had that day :(
I think half the game is designed just to make you feel bad about that. Actually killing Crossbreed Pricilla for a few more souls and a dagger is pretty high up there too, especially since she's completely optional (unlike your example).

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Despite begin terribly terribly fond of meat & well aware of overpopulation's effect on the environment, I still hate it when I have to do quests to kill x number of wild animals or bugs, wishing I'd been tasked with killing some evil humanoid instead.

There was the time when I had to chose between the two grumpy magic users in Neverwinter Nights 2. I always pick the elf because he's cuter, but I spent so much time trying to make friends with both of them. Not that it matters, because ALL of your friends are presumed dead in the expansion.

There was also this one quest back in Oblivion where you become friends with the arena champ & all around nice guy; Agronak gro-Malog, & he sends you on a quest where completing the mission makes him suicidal, & he begs you to defeat him in the arena, not even bothering to fight back. If you give him what he wants, everyone on your team hates you, if you don;t kill him, he just stands there forever saying how much he wishes he was dead. I reject the quest on replays.

UrinalDook

Jan 7, 2013
DoctorImpossible said:
Forcing
Zaalbar to kill Mission
in KotoR. I felt bad for days.
Holy crap, how did I forget this!? There's a lot of dark side options I found difficult to ever pick scattered throughout the game. I enjoy being a dick to people on the odd playthrough, and Korriban is an absolute hoot as a dark sider (especially if you do it last, you know why). I don't remember specific examples, but I definitely remember there were some dialogue options I simply couldn't ever pick. The one you mentioned, though. Really takes the cake...

Mission is pretty much my favourite charater from either game, when my fist DS run in KotOR 1 made it painfully clear that there was absolutely no way she could live, I felt unbelievably bad.

Of course, I had to kill her in the cruelest way possible, by having her best friend do it. Dark Lords gonna Dark Lord, right? I felt horrible in real life for having done it, but I have to admit I'm not sure if some of that bad feeling wasn't mild despair at having to the Star Forge again. Andraste's tits, that's an awful endgame...

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Huh, I'm amazed nobody has mentioned this yet...

When you kill The Boss at the end. You know it's going to happen. You know that's what the end game is. But the relationship she had with Snake, the codec calls after meeting The Sorrow, hell even the way that she simply treats you up until that point...and EVA's information in the end. I waited for the game to pull the trigger, I couldn't do it

Muh feels, everywhere ;_;7

Skollolol

Mar 20, 2013
Well, i'm sure there are a couple for me, for instance using cats as silencers in Postal 2;
but there's only one game i can remember right now that actually made me feel...bad, in a weird way
it was Modern Warfare 3, that 1 quicktime event in the last or 2nd to last mission where you rope down on a guy, cover his mouth and stab him in the chest - while he looks into your eyes

that took it a little too far for me.

JayElleBee

Jul 9, 2010
Gemanks said:
I find it funny how many of the above decisions didn't make me feel bad.

There is however one thing that stands out to me as arguably the worst thing I've ever had to do in a game..
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Unicorn..

Worst thing I've ever done.. I couldn't bear it after having killed it so I reloaded and went back just to admire it instead.. Perhaps a stroke of luck but when I went there I was set upon by ogres and the Unicorn came to my rescue and fought the ogres and died in its attempts.. So in the end I managed to complete the quest without killing the Unicorn, but I still can't think of the quest without feeling sad about it.
Don't feel bad about killing that unicorn. It's completely psychotic. It will murder everyone you love.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
In Mass Effect 3, during the Quarian-Geth conflict...

I hadn't done the side quest beforehand which allowed you to help both sides, so I had to betray Legion in order to keep Tali from killing herself. Never before has a moment in gaming been more emotional for me than watching that entire scene and my second favourite ME companion die.

nomzy

Jan 29, 2010
The most recent thing was killing the male merchant in the undead burg.
I just wanted his uhcigatana but afterwards I felt a little guilty because it's not like he did anything to me and I just thought "he didn't deserve to die".
It wouldn't stop me from doing it again but I find it interesting that I'm not willing to forgo the inconvenience of going back down to blighttown and spending the souls to buy it off Shiva, even though I'd be heading down there again at some point and so, someone had to die because I wanted something now rather than later.
I then went on to wonder that if I was in a lawless post-apocalyptic scenario would I do the same thing, I've already rationalised it once, so why not?
I understand that a real person definitely changes the situation, but it made me wonder what kind of person I really am at my core and it threw the idea that I'm a self knowing person right out the window.

It didn't help that the other day I killed Sif after saving him in the abyss and he recognises you later on.
I JUST NEED THE RING TO KILL THE 4 KINGS. DAMMIT GAME I DON'T WANT TO FIGHT HIM.

Don't even get me started on Spec Ops: The line. ._.

Jan 18, 2012
In my first playthrough as a Bounty Hunter in SWTOR, I ran as a brutal hired thug going dark side. Things were going fine, until i got to a quest on Hutta where I had to kill a guy who betrayed a Hutt and show the guys head to his wife. It left a bad taste in my mouth, especially once i found out my first companion was adverse to that sort of behavior. So I deleted him (i wasn't very far in anyway) and rolled a pure light side hunter. I wound up having a much more enjoyable time as an honorable Mandalorian and got along great with most of my team (except for Skadge, fuck that guy).

Monster_user

Jan 3, 2010
Legomaniac91 said:
especially once i found out my first companion was adverse to that sort of behavior.
I have never played the SWTOR, so forgive any confusion.

I know a guy who played as a Sith, and apparently had that same (similar?) first companion. It was hilarious listening to him rant about how he should have never taken the collar off. Said he couldn't play a proper Sith because of her.

Don't think I could stomach being a Sith either, especially not with some squeemish AI companion tagging along.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Both the Shark and Lizard Trials in Heavy Rain.

You have to cut off your finger in front of a camera. I opted to use a butcher knife, and no disinfectant, etc. I actually breathed along with Ethan when I had the option to. Then his screams....dear God his screams.

You have to kill a drug dealer. Sounds easy enough right? After all, he tried to kill you. Well, how about when he's on his knees, begging for his life, you realize you're in his daughters' (plural) room, and he even shows you a photo of them....and you pull the trigger anyways.

Jan 18, 2012
Monster_user said:
Legomaniac91 said:
especially once i found out my first companion was adverse to that sort of behavior.
I have never played the SWTOR, so forgive any confusion.

I know a guy who played as a Sith, and apparently had that same (similar?) first companion. It was hilarious listening to him rant about how he should have never taken the collar off. Said he couldn't play a proper Sith because of her.

Don't think I could stomach being a Sith either, especially not with some squeemish AI companion tagging along.
I know what he means. Luckily you can buy her off with gifts and the warrior's other 4 companions are more ok with you being evil (the melee damage companion especially)

VaughanyT

May 30, 2008
To be honest, not one of the decisions you can make in the Mass Effect series have made me feel too bad. Yeah, particularly tricky decisions have made me thought through the possible implications, like the genophage cure and whether to wipe out the rachni, but I've always been able to justify it by saying it's for the greater good of the mission. It's the relationships that you form with your crew-mates that can really make you shed a manly tear.

I went with Tali through one playthrough and when you try to convince her to get on the Normandy and run during the last mission, she cries out "Come back to me". Holy crap did that hit me hard. The writing had always been stellar in Mass Effect, but I never expected to be affected that much by a fictional character in a game. Yeah, I know there are some galaxy changing moments in the games, but the little things are what made the franchise believable.