Things you found/still find Creepy or Eerie in Games

MrSpunkSponge

Apr 30, 2010
After replaying some old Spyro today (The first one if anyone is wondering) And when I went into the Doctor Shemp boss world, I noticed the moon/sun thing looked really rather eerie to me, even though its just a kids game. I also noticed that it is a similar sky box for the sorceress boss in Spyro 3

So tell me, what things do you find in any game that are not necassarily scary, but just creepy or eerie.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
The Heaven Smiles in killer7. They are still the most creepy video game enemy to me:

Good gravy, they freak me out.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Tranquility lane was just sickeningly creepy to me. That music damn near drove me insane and the whole atmosphere of a supposedly ideal street twisted by the mind of Dr Braun.

Oh and Ravenholm, but I don't go there anymore...

hittite

Nov 9, 2009
Lavender town from Pokemon Red and Blue. It's a lot better in newer versions, but it is seriously creepy in Gen 1.
And don't get me started on Pokemon tower.

CainOfNod

Feb 3, 2011
The dialogue from System Shock 2. Running around with only a wrench, the intense music making your heart beat faster, suddenly you hear "Hurry, RUN!" from a wretched hybrid as he swings a pipe at your head. Yeah, I had a hard time playing that game alone in the dark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Borl_Mu9EY4

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
The Haunted Mansion from Timesplitters: Future Perfect still freaks the shit out of me. The things like the skinned corpse in a bathtub of blood and the bloodstained bedsheets with a bunch of assorted kitchen knives sticking into some bulge underneath the bedsheets... Yeah... Those still get to me.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
Definitely most scenes with Jenova in Final Fantasy VII.

Also, the Shinra Mansion.

Fuck that fucking place.

ALSO, underwater at any time. Emerald WEAPON is mostly the reason for that, though.

Zaik

Jul 20, 2009
The humans with headcrabs on them in Half Life 2 that are screaming in pain and begging for help while they try to kill you are probably the creepiest thing i've seen in a video game honestly.

T-Bone24

Dec 29, 2008
Intentionally so, the Dead Hand in Ocarina of Time. That thing is just wrong.

Unintentionally so, I have to say Peaceful mode on Minecraft. No monsters and, even with animals, it's just so lonely. No sentient beings anywhere. It's a lonely game if you let it get to you, that's for sure.

Twyce

Mostly a Lurker
Apr 1, 2009
Any and all of the Fatal Frame games ~ Only survival horror game series I don't like playing alone. The ghosts were terrifying.

Although one thing that always stood out to me were the "screensavers" that came up in the game if you left it idle...Fatal Frame II's was just scaaary!

This part from Silent Hill 3 always creeps me out as well (along with tons of other scenes from the game). I remember, basically pressing my face up against the screen watching the mirror, and I totally freaked out when I saw the blood was actually filling the room. Good times!

vid87

May 17, 2010
LogicNProportion said:
Definitely most scenes with Jenova in Final Fantasy VII.

Also, the Shinra Mansion.

Fuck that fucking place.

ALSO, underwater at any time. Emerald WEAPON is mostly the reason for that, though.
Absolutely. Especially when he sometimes camps out in front of the crashed ship Gelinka dungeon.

Mine is The Dark Sun levels from Disgaea 2. Aside from the fact that every stage is surrounded by a blood-red void, and enemies become ridiculously overpowered as you progress, and that a loud gong sound precedes you entering a level (really jolting if you're not prepared for it) - it's all about The Sun. He is HIDEOUS: blood-red body, giant fangs, and the eyes - the blank, staring eyes of fire he flashes as HE SMILES RIGHT AT YOU. And he actually participates in fights: he can strengthen enemies, destroy your spawning portal (where you send out fighters) and, in certain stages, cause automatic Game Over after a few turns (I don't know exactly how, but I imagine it's something horrible like blowing up the entire stage). The only way to "kill" him? Sacrifice a character, who rockets into the sky, enters The Sun, and destroys him from the inside. The character is dead for the rest of the fight.

I've never finished the first stage. I think I'm capable level-wise, but I just...can't.

A fun suggestion though: make a custom costume of The Sun, then get someone to dress as The Moon from Majora's Mask and go to a Halloween party or Con as a pair, proving that the solar system can be terrifying.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
MrSpunkSponge said:
After replaying some old Spyro today (The first one if anyone is wondering) And when I went into the Doctor Shemp boss world, I noticed the moon/sun thing looked really rather eerie to me, even though its just a kids game. I also noticed that it is a similar sky box for the sorceress boss in Spyro 3

So tell me, what things do you find in any game that are not necassarily scary, but just creepy or eerie.
I thought a lot of things in Spyro were a little like that. Once you clear a level and it's just silent and empty, and as much as the game makes you want to explore further you're closed in by the game's boundaries.

Ratchet and Clank used to give me the seem feeling too but not to the same extent, the first Spyro game still gets to me though.

Stammer

Apr 16, 2008
I can't remember what the game is or where I heard it... I just remember there was one video game I played as a little kid where as you were walking around a dungeon you could hear what sounded like a man far in the distance sobbing his eyes out. You never met the man or found out where the sound came from.

There's also one dungeon in Final Fantasy XI called Gusgen Mines. No other area in the game is frightening at all, but this place has it all. There is no music so anything that ever happens is just amplified. For example, certain areas where you walk will have ghosts. Not like enemy monster ghosts, just ghosts of miners who died in the mines. Some of them will walk slowly, some of them will just sit there, some of them hang from the ceiling. But all of them are invisible until you walk within a couple of feet of them so they literally jump out at you. Some of them even make subtle noises. But few things in there are as scary as sitting in there for half an hour doing your thing and then all of a sudden you hear this really loud siren "BRREEEEEEEOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUUWWWWWWW" and it scares the hell out of you.

thatman

Feb 16, 2011
I remember playing perfect dark round a cousin's house when i was really young, and having the shit creeped out of me by the chicago level. Just the creepy music, the rain and the fact you kept having to hide from that unkillable robot terrified me for some reason. Even now, playing the later levels on that game creep me out, even though it's not a horror.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Two places.

First, in Skies of Arcadia, I'm creeped out by the giant squid. Not because it's a hard creature to actually deal with, but check this out... If you fly right at it and go into battle, fine. It's just a battle, but I was tracing the damn thing from a high altitude and I lost track of it once...and then I got distracted by something outside of the game. The next thing I know, they radar is bonging at me and there's this unruly sound as I look back at the screen and realize DAMN THAT'S A BIG SQUID BEARING ON ME!

And second, Extermination. For those of you unaware, this is a fairly-original Survival Horror that was moderately-well received, though kind of an underrated game. It has kudos for being {A} probably the first Survival Horror for PS2 and {B} not Resident Evil. That aside, it had a number of tricks up its sleeve that made ME think it was good, even if it still lacked in voice-acting somewhat. It had atmosphere. This research area is slowly being overrun by an alien menace. It takes over people, it grows on the walls and ceilings of the whole place, and people were getting eating by the walls. The whole base is being slowly overtaken and then I see...a person hanging out of the wall, dead, like it somehow grabbed and grew threw them.

That can be some freaky shit.

leonnasagawa

Dec 22, 2009
I could probably think of a few but at the moment four things come in mind. In the SNES Batman Forever game there is this level where your at the circus and you have a time limit to reach the top to defuse a bomb and the music that plays in the background, I found to be creepy when I was young.

The second thing I can think of is from the recently released Dead Space 2. In the pre-school level you see some Mother wanting her child to come to her, only problem is, it is a necromorph baby with a gold stomach/back. It crawls into her arms and then explodes painting the glass you were looking through with her blood and then shortly after, the bell rings for recess with a message to the kids to 'play nice'. Being desensitized that wasn't something that really freaked me out but I still admit, it is quite creepy when I stop to think about it.

The third thing scared the crap out of me for it's music and the situation I was in. I had to turn the game off for awhile thanks to this scene and this was only from the demo at the time. The water demon from Amnesia the Dark Descent was extremely tense and unpleasant. Walking through water with an enemy that you can't see but you see and hear the foot steps impact on the water was really fucking scary (excuse my language). The only way not to get killed by it is to stay out of the water otherwise it will chase after you and kill you.

The fourth thing is something I found creepy in the first Penumbra game which I have only just started playing. You go into this storage room where you hear this human but creepy sound coming from a locked or barred door. The sound was creepy and then you pick up a diary and find out who it is and realize the guy cut off his tongue and has been eating spiders to survive. He talks about how the spiders are getting angry at him and how they will get him soon only to hear later, something dragging the man away from the locked room while your underneath it.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
I have [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.226212.7718808] already discussed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.257801-Majoras-mask-one-of-the-best-and-creepiest-games-of-the-decade#9693835] this subject [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.247343-Majoras-Mask?page=3#9087568] extensively before. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.240120-Creepiest-Scariest-Video-Game-Character-Ever#8655918]

Mods, I realize that this may count as a short post or self advertising, but please understand that I have discussed this topic so many times with such long and thought out posts that I feel at this point it'd be better for me to link to my orginal posts on the matter instead of typing another whole half a page thesis on Majora's mask.