Things you like about games you hate!

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Alright you beautiful, cynical bastards, here's a healthy cerebral exercise.

Fact is, we're quick to judge a game by its flaws. How about nitpicking a game for its merits? Perhaps some aspect of a bad game you want designers to take note of and implement in future games?

I'll start off by quoting myself. By the way, I don't hate CoD, I just feel... indifferent about the franchise.

Raiyan 1.0 said:
CoD is a poor Battlefield ripoff minus the vehicles, and BF3's 64 player matches are going to be more epic than anything CoD can even dream of.

Saying that, I still think Modern Warfare's 'All Ghillied Up' and 'Aftermath' are two of the best FPS SP experiences ever, and the 'Invasion' soundtrack was sublime.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Far Cry 2 was the prettiest thing my Computer ever ran, I guess. And the fire system (it spread pretty realistically to all wooden surfaces/vegetation, in the direction of the wind) was pretty groundbreaking.

Too bad everything else in it was a giant pit of Suck!
Ahem....yes..... Far Cry 2 had it's merits I suppose.

Katana314

Oct 4, 2007
I did think Farcry 2 did a nice portrayal of not being able to find bad guys. The whole time, you're wondering who to blame for the war; who is the big bad guy you can kill. In the end, the final mission is all about helping refugees get safely out of the country.

I could tell before Just Cause 2 came out that Just Cause 1 had the makings of an incredible game. I'm glad they paid off.

Dasrufken

Dec 1, 2010
GrizzlerBorno said:
Far Cry 2 was the prettiest thing my Computer ever ran, I guess. And the fire system (it spread pretty realistically to all wooden surfaces/vegetation, in the direction of the wind) was pretty groundbreaking.

ninja'd

well, kinda... Just replace farcry 2 with crysis and fire with graphics and remove the parenthesis and the contents of said parenthesis.

jakko12345

Dec 23, 2010
GrizzlerBorno said:

Pretty much this. I loved the environments and visual style, but the game as a whole was an awkward pile of fuck and piss

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I made this topic a few days ago:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.277584-Things-you-liked-about-games-you-didnt#10802639

Just saying. Search bar is your friend.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
Leemaster777 said:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.277584-Things-you-liked-about-games-you-didnt#10802639

Arrgh! I swear I searched using the keywords 'hate', 'games' and 'like'. Your thread didn't show up on the first page, so I went ahead and made this. :(

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
HEAVENLY SWORD (PS3)

Things I liked;
- Art direction
- voice acting
- Good story
- the weird cat-like partner girl with green face paint.

Things I hated/eventually rage quit
- A camera that requires motion tilt for controller
- The aiming of cannon fire requiring you to manually tilt/aim the controller to guide all
the way to a small exact enemy point. If I miss by an inch I have to launch all the way back
from the tower!
- Lack of any unlockables, treasures, or secrets and difficulty levels encouraging replayability.
- Cheap final boss
- Only about 4-7 single player with no additional content support, DLC, expansion, or any online features really make it hard for this to be $60.

GrizzlerBorno

Sep 2, 2010
Raiyan 1.0 said:
CoD is a poor Battlefield ripoff minus the vehicles, and BF3's 64 player matches are going to be more epic than anything CoD can even dream of.

Saying that, I still think Modern Warfare's 'All Ghillied Up' and 'Aftermath' are two of the best FPS SP experiences ever, and the 'Invasion' soundtrack was sublime.
Wait now hang on one moment. I didn't at first notice you were praising CoD 4. You like CoD 4 didn't you? Almost everyone did. It's the ones AFTER that (and immediately before) that are the problem.

And you liked the MP too......don't deny it....... I know your secrets...... :3

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I very rarely play games I have hated, as I am somewhat selective about what games I buy. The closest I can come up with is "Games I don't think were all that great".

Mafia 2 - The combat was excellent, and so was the voice acting.

Turok (most recent one) - It had some cool weapons.

Assassins Creed: Brotherhood - The multiplayer is excellent (so rare for me to like the multiplayer more than the single player, extremely rare in fact).

John Stalvern

Aug 28, 2008
I like almost everything about Lost Planet 2, and thought it would learn from the mistakes of the original multiplayer wise.
But it didn't, not even an attempt to improve, earning it a failure stamp for me.

Catchy Slogan

Jun 17, 2009
Fable 2 was fun (for a little while at least) and easy to play. Too bad everything else sucked.

EDIT:

Raiyan 1.0 said:
Leemaster777 said:

Arrgh! I swear I searched using the keywords 'hate', 'games' and 'like'. Your thread didn't show up on the first page, so I went ahead and made this. :(
I always find that using the search bar is a bit wierd on this site. It always brings up a load of older, slightly-related-but-not-by-much threads than the one I'm looking for, even if I use the exact wording.

So don't worry about it! ;P

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Two Worlds.

I like the... well, no, but I guess... uh... nope... err...

The artwork for the main character's sister had some nice cleavage? That's all I've got.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
I'm going to reach all the way back to EverQuest I. I actually enjoyed the lack of maps, the money and gear having weight, it being DARK at night, your screen going black if you were blinded, etc. Made you feel more real, like there was a world and you were in it. You had to know what you were doing. I came to hate the game eventually because of all the broken stuff and the generic evils every MMO perpetrates, but in many ways I preferred it to WoW.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Final Fantasy X-2, despite the facts that everything else was either crap or re-hash, the combat mechanic was pretty nice and fluent. A well done tribute to Final Fantasy titles that used a job system - even though, for some retarded reason, they had to call it 'dress' spheres and 'garment' grids.

Final Fantasy XIII, well... it IS pretty to look at...

Co-op, no, not a single game in particular, but... Dammit, no matter how bad a game is, you can almost always make it fun by having a co-op function and a good friend at your side.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Far Cry 2's fire and its overall prettyness

Though it was overshadowed by the fucking

[HEADING=1]MAP READING![/HEADING] [sub]While driving[/sub]

Did you hit a tree? Reverse and continue

[HEADING=1]Reading the fucking map![/HEADING]