Things you like from stuff you don't

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
OK so there's this movie called Heist from 2001, with Gene Hackman.

As a fan of heist and caper films, I can't even put into words how crap this film is. Awful dialogue, lame as hell twist, and such a boring as hell robbery itself.

It does however, have this great bit of score from Th?odore Shapiro during the end credits. Worth listening to, even if they cram some of the shit movie dialogue into it.

And no, nothing in the rest of the soundtrack is worth mentioning, sadly.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Mobile Suits in Gundam. Can't be bothered with any of the series, but I've got a whole bunch of Gunpla because I like the designs of the mecha a lot.

Chaosian

Mar 26, 2011
I've always been really ehhh- about Final Fantasy, but FF15 has gotten my ears to perk up. I haven't seen it either, but the latest movie looks (even if just visually) fantastic.

I'll also be honest and say I appreciate the *ahem* character design of many female characters in games I've never played, nor intend to.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
09philj said:
Mobile Suits in Gundam. Can't be bothered with any of the series, but I've got a whole bunch of Gunpla because I like the designs of the mecha a lot.
Should give it a shot if you can. I had been making model kits for years AND played Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1 and 2 before I finally actually started watching the main Gundam series, and ended up loving it.

You might get alot of joy out of being "Oh! I know that suit! I made that!"

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Saelune said:
09philj said:
Should give it a shot if you can. I had been making model kits for years AND played Dynasty Warriors Gundam 1 and 2 before I finally actually started watching the main Gundam series, and ended up loving it.

Eh, "give it a shot" is a bit broad, isn't it? Gundam's a sizable franchise with 40 years of backlog and several alternate continuities that can be radically different in theme and tone. I mean on one extreme we have G Gundam, which arguably takes cues from Xianxia and gleefully embraces anime's hammier elements. And on the other extreme you have Mobile Suit Gundam itself, which practically created the "real robot" genre, erring strongly towards military science fiction. Not that I'm necessarily opposed to any point on the spectrum, just that the spectrum is broad enough that it feels...too vague to suggest the franchise as a whole instead of a specific series to start with.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Asita said:
Saelune said:
09philj said:

Eh, "give it a shot" is a bit broad, isn't it? Gundam's a sizable franchise with 40 years of backlog and several alternate continuities that can be radically different in theme and tone. I mean on one extreme we have G Gundam, which arguably takes cues from Xianxia and gleefully embraces anime's hammier elements. And on the other extreme you have Mobile Suit Gundam itself, which practically created the "real robot" genre, erring strongly towards military science fiction. Not that I'm necessarily opposed to any point on the spectrum, just that the spectrum is broad enough that it feels...too vague to suggest the franchise as a whole instead of a specific series to start with.
I guess I could be clearer. I am suggesting the UC timeline, which is the main one. Not G Gundam (which I hate) or any of the side stuff. I mean, if 70's anime is too old or weird, then they might struggle with Mobile Suit Gundam, but I liked it. I also really liked Stardust Memory. I still need to get through Zeta, but I am liking it alot too.

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
Man of Steel. I've never been more let down by and disappointed in a movie. Ever. It was so terrible. And yet... for the first 15 minutes I was totally on board. The flying bird/dragon things were a bit stupid but otherwise I really liked the metallic as opposed to crystal based Krypton. The look was good, it differentiated itself from the previous design very well. And even the stupid shaky-cam that marred the rest of the movie made a little sense as the planet was going to explode at some point (it made less sense in the mid-air bird flight scene, but it was a motion shot so I let it slide.)

Too bad about the rest of the movie, but for 15 minutes it was watchable.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
There's always something that's either good in something bad or can be made fun of something bad. However, the reason you hate something is because there wasn't enough good in there. So, for my answer, I'll say 'Anything that's Riff-worthy that has spawned the appropriate amount of Riffing within it'. That should cover...a multitude of sins.

springheeljack

Red in Tooth and Claw
May 6, 2010
Arnold Schwarzenegger in Batman and Robin: It's a pretty awful film and no one seems to really even want to be in the movie especially Clooney, no one except Schwarzenegger. For some inexplicable reason he seems like he is having the time of his life in this movie and he delivers every awful ice pun with gusto

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Darth Rosenberg said:
Ah, the X-Men films are a good'un: apart from Logan they're all dreadful in various ways (First Class would be a decent enough film as a standalone, but it's an atrocious X-Men film), but the actors they got for Xavier and Magneto are superb.
Well, Patrick Steward and Ian Mckellen could play a brick and give it gravitas simply by saying something. And while I think James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender are not quite on the same level (mostly because they don't really have those iconic stage voices), they're no slouches either. Put them together tho. I wonder if they work so well together because both pairs are also good friend irl.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Mortal Kombat: Annihilation. Two bits that I enjoyed.

When Jax tears off his cybernetics when fighting Motaro. I always have a soft spot for defiance in the face of adversity, so this bit is always enjoyable to me.

And the part at the end, when the elder gods show up and imprison Shao Khan's father, it put the name of the gameline into a new light for me. How Shao Khan is surprised when he's bleeding, and the god's show up and say "In the end, it shall be decided as it has always been. In Mortal Kombat." I liked that bit, because it made the title have a new meaning. It didn't mean "To the death", but more along the lines of "The Mortal realm will always be fought for, on Mortal terms. Any and all beings who come there, seeking to conquer it, will be capable of being killed, they will be Mortal. Which gives the humans at least some chance."

And I liked that bit.

Van Helsing.

The friar, my god I loved this guy. He was a competent sidekick/comic relief, he always had the necessary item that Helsing needed to fight the fight. He is the one that got laid (not the hero), and he even had a dramatic, bad ass hero scene, where he's swinging on a massive rope over a bottomless pit next to a bridge, DURING A RAIN STORM at the climax of the battle against Dracula to catch a vial of Important Syrum, and then hurls it to the hero so he can save the day.

I'm sorry but that's a great sidekick character, he was a genuine delight.

Though...this might not really count, as I genuinely do like Van Helsing as a bad movie that had some really good parts to it. I don't dislike it at all. Still, I just love that character. xD

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
I was just discussing this with someone earlier today, but I was never really a fan of Re:Zero. It never really grabbed me, maybe I was fatigued with the whole scenario, maybe I didn't like Subaru. I'm not sure but the show rubbed me the wrong way.

But you know that scene where... I should probably spoil this:

Okay, so you know in Episode 18 where Rem is all 'I love you Subes' and he's all 'Nah I love Emilia'?
Remember before that?
Remember how Subaru was breaking down over his own ineptitude and arrogance, about how he'd been wasting his life and fucking up? That scene. I LOVE that scene. The whole 'depth of him critisizing the audience' aside just LOOK at him, LISTEN to the music, FEEL the anguish dripping from his voice. It's all heart-wrenchingly gorgeous, and kudos to Yūsuke Kobayashi for being able to do that. Rem's little speech afterwards was... fine, mostly elevated by that beautiful backing music and the art.
Rem completely fixing him with that confession and the INCREDIBLE tonal whiplash can be set aside for another day

But yes, one crummy 3 minute-ish scene in an anime I slogged through, carried mostly by sound design. Wonderful. Yet everybody talks about the end of it and not the main body. Shame.

takanabanana

Apr 11, 2010
tbh I haven't really seen any of the newer DC movies until Wonder Woman (which was a complete train wreck btw), and I know how everybody hates them, but the one thing I think they got right is translating the costumes into real life. Wonder Woman, Batman, and Superman all look great, the suicide squad looks ok, and doomsday was just worth finally getting in a movie

Zen Bard

Eats, Shoots and Leaves
Sep 16, 2012
Christopher Lambert as "Raiden" in the first Mortal Combat movie.

The movie was crap, the dialogue was awful and the fight scenes were barely mediocre.

But he was so cool in the role. I mean, come on! He's the freakin' Highlander!

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
Frozen. For some reason I love the soundtrack to this movie, to the point I can sing most of them word perfect.

Yes I find the film itself to be as dull as dishwater, it's not even a mediocre Disney animation in my eyes.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
The Battle of Geonosis in Star Wars: Attack of the Clones.

Godawful film, but that's a great battle sequence.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Silvanus said:
The Battle of Geonosis in Star Wars: Attack of the Clones.

Godawful film, but that's a great battle sequence.
The Yoda lightsaber fight was pretty cool in that movie. It finally made Yoda a badass instead someone so weak like in the originals. Just like Darth Vader was turned into a badass by Rogue One after spending most of the movie being like the original Darth Vader - threatening people and making them do thing while sitting on his ass and doing not much. I hear Benny Hill music in my head during the last trench run because its a stupid mess and Vader seems like a whole heap of stupid... Sorry... That paragraph kinda got away from me... Darth Rant over.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Darth Rosenberg said:
Um, I guess Overwatch's characters? I want to play with them (oo er), but they exist in an MP only shooter - so I won't.
Ditto. Blizzard have done something great in creating a cast of characters with little-to-no in-game story, and still have me care about them. Each of them has a great and unique silhouette, voice, and style that makes them really memorable, even as someone who has spent barely any time playing the game. Those animated shorts are ace, too.

Its just a shame that Overwatch is the game that it is, because now I don't care.

At least the Overwatch characters are getting ported into Heroes of the Storm, so I can at least enjoy them there.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
trunkage said:
The Yoda lightsaber fight was pretty cool in that movie. It finally made Yoda a badass instead someone so weak like in the originals.
Agreed- not that I had any problem with the "orignal" version of Yoda. Kind of makes me wish they'd do a prequel featuring him, rather than that "meh"-looking Han Solo one. Or more Obi-Wan Kenobi, for that matter.

The scene in Spider-Man 3 of the Sandman putting himself back together is possibly the most emotionally evocative CG-dependent scene ever done in a live-action movie, despite so much of the movie being a mess.

Equilibrium, like most of the director's work, is basically just a thin plot onto which to choreograph fight scenes... but damn if Christian Bale doing Gunkata in that trench coat ain't cool.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Surprised no one's said this yet.

Final Fantasy VIII is an awful, unfun mess of a game. It had a ton of great ideas put into it, but they all clashed horribly with each other and the result is not good at all.

That said, Triple Triad was absurdly addicting, and I continued to play the main game just so that I could meet more potential opponents in this stupid card game.